What's new

Today Today - April 2016

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
From this morning commute. Sakura, newly grad OLs, world trade center bldg and Tokyo Tower, combo of 4!

123.jpg

I guess we lucked out with the weather in Niigata this morning.

trek.jpg

Warm even early doors. A 90 km ride to the team training start in Nagaoka.

Today's special guest was ex Blitzen pro (now Trek) Nakamura san.

Of course he was blistering on the climbs.

But I learnt a lot just watching how he saves his energy in the group. Taking advantage of any draft. Showing his strength but using it as little as possible. Seems like a nice guy too...

Some tempo riding either side of that. 235 km on the clock by 1030 this morning. Working the night shift!

The usual weekly blog here:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2016/04/build-3-week-1-4-big-days-1-re.html

Excited to be spending pretty much all my training time on the road...

Andy

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time

12891150_1315893651760666_8699074464270684377_o.jpg

Good afternoon everyone, sorry it is not literally "Today ride" but I just want to join in the post to celebrate the Sakura season in Tokyo :p
After a horrendous 2 weeks of running around taking care of moving to a new apartment rent contract, new school entrance ceremony's preparation and... the most horrific thing... helping my friend who just came to Japan to study getting a PHONE (every year they just make it harder and harder to make a phone contract for foreigners, but cannot blame them, so many cheeky gaijin thief sign a contract then run back to their home country without paying :mad:), I manage to have time on last Friday to do a 50km ride around Tokyo, riding under the sakura trees is just so fantastic that I didn't even care about taking pictures and just enjoying the Spring breeze and the beautiful scenery. Tokyo concrete jungle is absolutely not bad at all, especially in Sakura season :love:. This is truly New Year of Japan in my opinion.

Last edited:

No bikes were ridden to reach this state but I thought you should know my pain

Had another consultation with my doctor today, three weeks on from The Incident. Everything is as it should be and I'm now allowed to roam shoulder-brace free. Based on my age and the fact that I didn't do anything major to my muscles or ligaments, I should be okay without professional physio - in fact I've been pretty surprised by the amount of motion I've been able to regain within just these last few hours. There are times when there is a strange disconnect between what I want my arm to do and what it actually does, which can be a bit dodgy when drinking coffee etc, but it should go away with time.

So, three weeks of exercises at home, avoiding two of the positions that are most dangerous for my type of dislocation, and then another consultation. No sports allowed within that time, though I can do some light, ojii-san style running provided I don't overdo it.

I'd like to be able to get back on the bike by Golden Week, but we'll see how it goes.

Good to hear @Andy in Tokyo. The strength and range of motion came back to my shoulder after I broke it fairly quickly. I would constantly find limits then sail through them the next time that situation arose. Speaking to @xDOMx the other week, this was his experience so far at that time, too.

Once you're back on the bike you'll forget it ever happened.

Lads and lasses.

Thought I'd chime in with my current situation/news following @Andy in Tokyo 's update.

Not getting dizzy spells anymore and my MRI showed no physical contusions on the brain so, in theory, the head is pretty okay.

As for the arm, the numbness seems to be getting better slowly as the nerves appear to be waking up again. This is resulting in more movement in my fingers.

The wrist is taking its time and I am at around 50% range of movement (7 weeks post-incident). Plates to come out around 6 months post-surgery.

I plan to start some turbo training utilising a friend's bike until my Field arrives (which is creeping slowly forward) and until I can bear any weight on my wrist.

Also, the Police have not found the car which hit me. This does not surprise me in the slightest, nor does their apparent attitude that this is my fault as they thought I'd just gone into the back of the truck of my own volition.

Some pictures of my wrist before and after surgery are attached, for information.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Lads and lasses.

Thought I'd chime in with my current situation/news following @Andy in Tokyo 's update.

Not getting dizzy spells anymore and my MRI showed no physical contusions on the brain so, in theory, the head is pretty okay.

As for the arm, the numbness seems to be getting better slowly as the nerves appear to be waking up again. This is resulting in more movement in my fingers.

The wrist is taking its time and I am at around 50% range of movement (7 weeks post-incident). Plates to come out around 6 months post-surgery.

I plan to start some turbo training utilising a friend's bike until my Field arrives (which is creeping slowly forward) and until I can bear any weight on my wrist.

Also, the Police have not found the car which hit me. This does not surprise me in the slightest, nor does their apparent attitude that this is my fault as they thought I'd just gone into the back of the truck of my own volition.

Some pictures of my wrist before and after surgery are attached, for information.

View attachment 13664 View attachment 13665

Glad to hear that everything's on the mend mate. From experience nerves do take a long time to heal but they get there in the end. Here's hoping that you'll be able to ride that shiny new bike of yours before the end of the year.

Glad to hear that everything's on the mend mate. From experience nerves do take a long time to heal but they get there in the end. Here's hoping that you'll be able to ride that shiny new bike of yours before the end of the year.
Good to hear you are getting there mate. If the Field arrives before you are 100% fully fit, I'm more than willing to be your test pilot, after all, that's what friends are for ;)

Did not see that. Where can I get the same medicine you are on?
Would be nice if they also cure influenza.

Back
Top Bottom