What's new

Today Today - April 2014

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Merciless headwind this morning. Roads still relatively quiet, with just the usual inexplicably snarly bits and selfish bastards driving in the bus lane. Crucifixion's too good for them.

I hit 1211km in March and saw some moderate gains across the spectrum of my FTPs. Had my first (Japan) ride in shorts for 2014. Overall a good cycling month… April has a new frame coming my way and my first race of the year. Plus looking forward to some good rides with the Northern chapter!

Rode the Backroads Boso IV or most of it today If anyone is thinking of going that way then two things to note. This is probably old news but, near Daifukuyama they are resurfacing the road and there is about a km where the surface has been removed on a downhill section & it's very rough gravel. Second, after you turn off the 465 and climb up to join the 172 after about 70km. The road is shut 1km north of the junction with the 172. There is no easy detour & I ended up going down to the Otaki Highway. Still 110km and a lot of climbing. I just dont have the nuts to descend properly here. Whether it's the intimidation of those ditches by the roadside, the fact I am not used to the roads or just my inate cowardice & am not sure, probably the latter.

Had a blast up the Edogawa to Sekiyado Castle today. Exactly 47km from my place, so 94 in all. Brutal headwind on the way back which slowed me down, but that was after noodles and fried chicken at the ramen shop near the castle :)

It looks like all the construction work (ie: the 'smoothing of the banks' has finally been finished along both sides of the river, so I didn't have to detour at all.

Went to move the road bike this morning to get at something and heard a squeak from the front wheel bearings - dropped wheel off at local bike shop for them to change the bearings. Had the wheel back after lunch so did my 88kms ride - said before on here that struggling to break the 30kph average, today with rebuild wheel - check out photo - smashed it :) :)

P01-04-14_14.12.JPG

Had a blast up the Edogawa to Sekiyado Castle today. Exactly 47km from my place, so 94 in all. Brutal headwind on the way back which slowed me down, but that was after noodles and fried chicken at the ramen shop near the castle :)

It looks like all the construction work (ie: the 'smoothing of the banks' has finally been finished along both sides of the river, so I didn't have to detour at all.

I was up there today too. And yes, the headwind was monstrous. It has been like this for weeks now. Where abouts do you live mate? You must be pretty near me...

I know :oops: I will change soon..... Also fitted new fron CX derailleur - cannot see any difference to my Ultegra.... Changes fine so will not worry about gap.P01-04-14_12.39.JPG P26-03-14_17.21.JPG

How come you are running a 45T big ring? That is where the gap is coming from, obviously.

I know…that wind started in January and hasn't abated one jot :(

I'm in Kameari, so I usually join the river at Shibamata. I try to get out about 3 or 4 times a week.

How come you are running a 45T big ring? That is where the gap is coming from, obviously.
I know _ I asked the experts on here to recommend a better front derailleur for my new 45 tooth ring and CX was recommended. Just been in the workshop and redrilled the Ultegra and lowered it by 7mm. Will test tomorrow:
For me the 45 tooth ring is the dogs bollocks ;)

P01-04-14_17.36.JPG

Cleaned the chain and area after photo taken:tup

Last edited:
I know _ I asked the experts on here to recommend a better front derailleur for my new 45 tooth ring and CX was recommended. Just been in the workshop and redrilled the Ultegra and lowered it by 7mm. Will test tomorrow:
For me the 45 tooth ring is the dogs bollocks ;)

View attachment 1059

Cleaned the chain and area after photo taken:tup

Is that a 116BCD ring? I've got a Campy GrandSport in that BCD with Miche Junior (!) chainrings.
Haven't put it on my steel bike because I forsee the possible gap b/n the derailleur and ring.
(And I have NOT been able to remove the damned dust caps yet ... wimp)

Keeping the drive train and wheels as is. One of the reasons for this frame is that it is compatible with my PM so I don't have to mess about and incur the costs of either converting the quarq or selling/buying new. So for now everything in that department stays as is.

I will get a new cockpit though, carbon bars. Also I will get a really long stem, maybe a 240mm or 250mm.

Placing my order today so 10 days or so it should arrive!!

Very nice. Are you going to move all the parts from your old bike on to the new frame or are you going to treat it to some nice new shiny parts?

Back
Top Bottom