What's new

Today - April 2012

I rode 400km this morning before breakfast.

April Fool.

:bike:

Oh yeah, that whole April fool thing, never really caught on here in Japan.... :rolleyes: Wonder why? :D

Not much cycling here, First Rugby practice outside since November and as I type this it's still snowing. Roll on spring. Entered a ride online today and took the fixie for a quick spin after pumping up the tires. Got the kids bikes ready for riding as well.

That is unreal!:eek:

I have the wheels and saddle. No issues there. If anyone wants a set, please let me know! FE is right - if you are much over 65kg, then chances are things are gonna taco. We set a 65kg weight limit on the wheels, btw.

A popping rear tyre on my morning commute put me in a taxi, for half my commute:mad: All my machinery seems to be failing simultaneously. Lucky I already have two kids:cool:

Anyway now I have to deal with it so I can ride home!!! or I might have to catch the ....... I can't say it.......:eek:

On my commute I got pushed by a garbage truck into the roadside railing today. Went down, but fortunately nothing hurt or broken (nor the bike). Just then the police came around the corner and noted the case. They said it's the drivers fault who kept apologizing. I didn't insist on a further follow up as everything was alright and I don't want that hassle.
Will avoid the big roads (Komazaw dori actually not that big) on my commute from now on. In my opinion garbage trucks and buses are the worst (and actually most aggressive) out there.

I considered Komazawa dori a benign alternative to 246 for east-west trips across Tokyo. I guess even with your experience, 246 probably still is worse. I'm glad you're OK, Malte!

In my opinion garbage trucks and buses are the worst (and actually most aggressive) out there.

its more that they are wider, its really hard in a wide vehicle to give a cyclist a few meters when there are other vehicles approaching the other way.

its more that they are wider, its really hard in a wide vehicle to give a cyclist a few meters when there are other vehicles approaching the other way.

Yeah, maybe I need to be more understanding and it's just right to roll over the cyclist if there is no proper space to overtake. Thanks for your viewpoint.

Uncanny timing just after our conversation yesterday Malte! Hope your OK:eek:

A slow easy ride with a colleague this a.m.--he's just picked up a new surly LHT and wanted to try it out.

Fingers crossed: the forecast says rain tomorrow (actually it says wild, italicized rain), but I don't see it on the radar yet.

On my commute I got pushed by a garbage truck into the roadside railing today. Went down, but fortunately nothing hurt or broken (nor the bike). Just then the police came around the corner and noted the case. They said it's the drivers fault who kept apologizing. I didn't insist on a further follow up as everything was alright and I don't want that hassle.
Will avoid the big roads (Komazaw dori actually not that big) on my commute from now on. In my opinion garbage trucks and buses are the worst (and actually most aggressive) out there.

Glad you are OK Malte,

I had a utility truck come around a stopped Bus toward me and force me to an emergency stop this morning as well. I stopped a bit out forcing him to stop as well. Not quite the experience you had.
I stay off back roads as much as i can. Between the random rule ignorant mama charis, busses and people driving with one hand and eye on the wheel and the other on their I phone. I never feel totally relaxed.

Still my worst experience with a truck was going down under a tunnel toward Arakawa, a downhill section that I usually get up to about 55km on. This BIG truck came past me and as it's a slight bend (Deliberately) sandwiched me into the wall with cms between him the wall and my handlebars. I had to just stay focused on the gutter and ignore him, because one false twitch would have seen me under rear wheels.

Some people have careless disregard for others lives sitting snugly in their cages.:mad:

sorry to hear about that Malte, that sucks.

Agree with Joe, I always thought of Komazawa-dori as the safer alternative to 246.... :eek:

Thank you to TIm, who got me back on the road after a flat (until now I have never carried any flat repair kit:eek: )

Anyway back on the road and got my kit sorted now too

Cheers mate best LBS around!!

Malte, sorry to hear about what happened.

I rode 40km today - nothing to write home about, but what made it special is that it was on a mama chari with my 3-year-old son in the back - still nothing to brag about you say...? Well I got my wife to join me on her mama chari... but the best part was: our 6-year-old son also completed the 40km ride on his tiny, heavy, 6 speed MTB. I was well impressed by that - and he said it was really fun. Wonder how long it will be before he is up for a TCC ride? Ha.

Back
Top Bottom