What's new

Today - April 2011

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Holy cow, it's April already :eek:

I guess this means it should be warming up sometime soon and I'll be whinging about how hot it is :rolleyes:

Did only a few deliveries today, so not much time on the bike or many kilometers, but I did get to haul the bike and trailer full of beer up a fairly long steep grade, I had two deliveries to do, and I did not think about the order, I should have done the second one first, so I would not have to haul a full trailer up that hill, I sure am glad I geared down the bike, even though I did not use the lowest gear (almost) and I had to sit and grind, as the trailer was so heavy that if I got out of the saddle and kicked, I was doing a wheelie up the hill :D

Great burn for sure, the legs felt it too.

I was really suffering from the hayfever, or Kafunsho today, anyone else afflicted with this curse? I've lived here for almost 21 years now and it has only been recently that it has started to bother me. I bought a Respro City mask to help, but I have had fit issues with it. For whatever reason today I got it to fit, without causing me trouble. Sure was nice to not have to inhale all that crap riding the bike!

Anyone else where one while riding?

Cheers!

Was out in long sleeve jersey and shorts today on my hill repeats! BLISS

71km yesterday in hayfever bliss and maybe a few more today.

i was looking at those city masks but not for pollen. I always get a crappy nose after riding the roads.

71km yesterday in hayfever bliss and maybe a few more today.

i was looking at those city masks but not for pollen. I always get a crappy nose after riding the roads.

The city mask is OK, but it took me some time and fooling with it to get comfortable with it, I'd get the other one they sell the >> Sportsta << If I had to do it over, that is what I'd buy.

Intense levels of cancer inducing radiation

...from the sun in southern Kyushu today! Yes the 448 is a spectacular coastal road down to cape toi. This has to be one of the "best 100 roads in japan"
Today I cycled kushima onsen to magma onsen, sakurajima.
Onsen are so perfect for cycle touring - wash, shave, sentaku, rest, eat, charge batteries, write postcards, email, tweet, all under one roof and this one comes with views of the ash spewing volcano.
Waiting for the slow boat to yakushima tomorrow am.

Tested out my new hay fever sunglasses today with 92kms and an earthquake in the final 500m sprint. First longish ride since January. I'm back...

I said I`d explain today`s ride on the other thread. Today was working on endurance (I struggled Thursday with the climb I hit at 2:30 on the way back from the Onsen, though did have a backpack on at the time). So went up my favourite 4.5K hill (just over 260 ascent) trying not to go above threshold, then down the 1/2 mile 10% section, turned left, which enabled me to do another 3.5K with 200m of climbing (done at `just keep the pedals turning pace`!) before I`d be faced with a long descent. So then back to the bottom of the original hill and repeat. Did it 3 times, with each repeat (both sections) being faster than the previous one and my 3 times up the 4.5K hill combined were only 30secs slowly than when I tried it 6 weeks ago as a pure 3 x interval session. Amassed my most climbing since I`ve been here for one ride - just over 1400m in just over 65K. I opted for the sensible approach and did the 7K home from the bottom of the hill at recovery pace. So puts me on 3500m of ascent for the week (my most to date again) and am now, no longer embarrassed by where my cycling level is, but its still short of where it should be. Anyway, can do one more week of hard training before my full roster of 3 part-time jobs will kick in again and have to drop things down.

Was out in long sleeve jersey and shorts today on my hill repeats! BLISS

Shorts have been de rigeur here for a while. Today, was my first day with sunscreen on the legs, but then when I got to the mountains it clouded over...go figure. Anyway, reminds me, must try and order some of those Craft cool leg covers with sun protection.

Pain again

Hi all,

久しぶりですね。。

Nice weather out there for the past few weeks and sad that I am stuck inside. Last time I wrote was about the knee pain I had here. I took a complete rest for a month and didn't even touched the bike in that period. Then slowly I started riding again and then started my commute.. I was even getting closer to my previous speed but then out of sudden one day I again got that pain in the knee. I was going to the university and the pain was so bad that it was difficult to even move the right leg with the pedal let alone put any power through it. The bike is still lying in the university (two weeks now). The pain is now less but I can still feel it if I climb stairs.

If anyone knows a good sports doctor who can understand some English then please recommend.. I just don't want to stay off my bike specially when the semester has has been postponed by a month and the lab is on a electricity saving mode... sitting at home reading everyone's biking exploits is no fun :eek:uch:

How about Travis, how is he? Havne't seen his post from long.. is he back on wheels?

39km, and for yesterday I forgot to mention 40min in the pool after the ride.

Badar--are you a swimmer, and do you have access to a pool? It could be an alternate exercise for you. I use a couple of these floats between my legs and don't kick at all (crawl, with paddle gloves), the only thing I'd wonder about with your knee is if you could push off okay at each end. Doing it w/one leg is possible, but you'd have to concentrate on not using the one with the bad knee.

I have been trippin' in the UK for a couple of weeks, and am a bit out of touch ... Are there any predictions when the worst of the pollen in Kanto area is going to end? :(

I know I mentioned it before, but the acupuncture sensei I go to is well worth trying. Every physical ailment I have had that didn't involve broken bones has been sorted out by him >> when medication, special exercise, support bandages, etc, had all failed.

Hi all,

久しぶりですね。。

Nice weather out there for the past few weeks and sad that I am stuck inside. Last time I wrote was about the knee pain I had here. I took a complete rest for a month and didn't even touched the bike in that period. Then slowly I started riding again and then started my commute.. I was even getting closer to my previous speed but then out of sudden one day I again got that pain in the knee. I was going to the university and the pain was so bad that it was difficult to even move the right leg with the pedal let alone put any power through it. The bike is still lying in the university (two weeks now). The pain is now less but I can still feel it if I climb stairs.

If anyone knows a good sports doctor who can understand some English then please recommend.. I just don't want to stay off my bike specially when the semester has has been postponed by a month and the lab is on a electricity saving mode... sitting at home reading everyone's biking exploits is no fun :eek:uch:

How about Travis, how is he? Havne't seen his post from long.. is he back on wheels?

Badar--are you a swimmer, and do you have access to a pool? It could be an alternate exercise for you. I use a couple of these floats between my legs and don't kick at all (crawl, with paddle gloves), the only thing I'd wonder about with your knee is if you could push off okay at each end. Doing it w/one leg is possible, but you'd have to concentrate on not using the one with the bad knee.

I can swim and I am in fact planning to start swimming from this week in the university pool. As for pushing I think an occasional push from the leg is fine but continuous rotaion lke pedalling starts the pain...
..but though swimming is a good exercise, I want to ride my bike.. I can't stay indoor for long :(

I know I mentioned it before, but the acupuncture sensei I go to is well worth trying. Every physical ailment I have had that didn't involve broken bones has been sorted out by him >> when medication, special exercise, support bandages, etc, had all failed.

Hmm.. I can think about it too. Does your sensei speak English?

Sunday:

33km solo TT into a headwind
50km Criterium Trianing at Ooifuta (showed the youngsters how its done by winning the sprints)
33km Solo ride home into another bloody head wind.

Great morning session and feeling the burn today.

Today

Picked up my bike from Asahi Cycle Base - bike tire exploded beyond a patch repair about 8KM from Ito.

Surprisingly, my Wiggle order from last Monday arrived yesterday and I was expecting it to take longer given the current circumstances - I hadn`t even bothered logging on to track it yet :( Among other things, I ordered a spare mount and sensor for my bike computer so I can put it on my mama-chariot (to track my hill repeats) and the PC download kit, so will start keeping a training log for the first time in over 10 years. I shall be expecting the anal police later, but as long as the inspector isn`t there :eek:

Back
Top Bottom