What's new

Today - April 2011

Lake Okutama

Yesterday I had time during the day and went from Nikotama to Okutama and back (160km to the mid-point in the lake) between 7:30 and 4:00. It was awesome. Few cars on the roads, warm weather from about 8:30, and my first time to smell the trees, ride through some shade, tunnels, small hills etc. Looking forward to doing it again.

90+ 'Sean Kelly' km's which is similar to Chuck Norris km's. 30kph headwinds, pouring rain, lots of rouleurs with at least 12-15% grades and then to top it off, a small Yabitsu Toge. Train bike with Nikka Red, mixed nuts and awesome riding mates made it all worthwhile. Priceless! Look out Kusatsu - because I am sooo ready.

Very cool - but looks more like a bike mangler than a bike hanger! This is the ultimate condumdrum - how to make mass bikes parkign appear to be organized and efficiently managed. I have to admit - lots of bikes on the streets parked all askew really look like crap and clog up pedestrian arterials. Gotta be better solutions out there.

90+ 'Sean Kelly' km's which is similar to Chuck Norris km's. 30kph headwinds, pouring rain, lots of rouleurs with at least 12-15% grades and then to top it off, a small Yabitsu Toge.

Sean Kelly km's? Love it! The best training there is! Good on you!

I opted for some "sofa training", feet up and a few tinnies. Must be getting soft in my old age....

I'll be thinking of Sean Kelly and GSAstuto tomorrow as I take on Yahiko champion Tazaki san and co. on their home turf.

Bring it on!

Andy

PS - bring on Kusatsu too because I'm sooo almoooooost ready!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdtyxBHq0xo

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

My plans for the week went awry as my system decided another hard week wasn`t a good idea so after a week of recovery riding (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day at recovery pace) went back on work detail today. Lovely 2 x 20 up my favourite hill that of course no longer takes 20 mins. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I looked at my computer and it read 29!!! Trouble is, that was temperature in the sun and not kph.:eek: 29 in the second week of April...give me a break! :thumb1: I wasn`t expecting to have to try out the sweatband I bought to stop the sweat rolling down into my eyes so soon :cry: But managed to pick up some SPF arm covers in XL that work as lower leg protectors.

If you or anyone else is looking for UV cut arm covers get the Pearl Izumi ones. They actually make your arms feel cooler. The Assos ones I also have are basically just thin (thinner?) arm warmers and do just that!:eek:uch:

I spent 4 hours the other day going straight North from Takasaki through Yoshioka-machi, then Shibukawa and up to onsen resort town, Ikaho at the foot of Mt. Haruna. Long and steep. Came home to sit down in front of Youtube and watched replays of previous year TDK runs.

Bring on the TDK indeed. I think I'm ready. Now if only my cycling jersey would arrive already.

10k morning TT. Brutal but necessary. Managed just under 15min thanks to minimal wind. Taper time.

Did my usual 45km trip from Nikotama to Tachikawa and back. After a month of not riding and then getting a 45km and a 160km ride in, today's ride felt great. Average speed there was 29.9km/h. Maybe a record for me. I felt unstoppable. I was 100m from the last bridge when it started to pour. That definitely stopped me for a bit. Ended up getting so cold because I assumed it would stay warm and my arms and legs were exposed. It was a lot of fun though. Once I got moving again, I was fine, and fewer people were out so that was a bonus.

Nice warm ride this morning. Didn't need long sleeves or leggings. Stuffed my Fox translucent rain jacket into the seat pouch just in case.

Boy I was glad I did. The heavens opened just as I had set off from the office. Drowned! Felt strangely good, though. The TimTanium Road Warrior handles very well in the wet. Grabbed a 500 yen seat post clamp at Nalsima on the way home, which hopefully will stop the saddle position morphing into mamachari mode, and ordered the replacement part needed for my wheel.

Nice to get home, dry off and thaw out my feet.

Here's the Warrior in better weather https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=28606#post28606

Mike..... I Found compond used to help get purchase on srews with stripped heads is the ulitmate non-slip contact grease.....just make sure your post is set perfectly.

Also the best clamp I've found is the Italian Miche X Carbon seatpost clamp has twin locking rings and grips bloody well.

If you or anyone else is looking for UV cut arm covers get the Pearl Izumi ones. They actually make your arms feel cooler. The Assos ones I also have are basically just thin (thinner?) arm warmers and do just that!:eek:uch:

Cheers, but I`m after the Craft cool long sleeve base layer that also has SPF protection. Wiggle only had ladies in stock when I did the last order, so the wife has one but not me. ProBikeKit is the only place I have found them in stock but they are out of the cool leg covers (last time I looked), so just biding my time `til they restock. The Pearl Izumi ones sound like they will be similar though.

Perhaps this could be Stu's summer project. Up to 12 people pedal and drink beer, while one sober person steers.

pedalpub.jpg

Perhaps this could be Stu's summer project. Up to 12 people pedal and drink beer, while one sober person steers.

pedalpub.jpg

What country is that in? Dunno about other countries, but I think something like this would be big in Japan, where folks walk down the street with a beer in hand.

Sailing the nuclear breeze.

Today's commute: massive tailwind on the way to work which magically turned around and became a massive tailwind on the way home! Rock On!

Back
Top Bottom