What's new

Today – February 2011

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Interval training that left my LT a bloody pulp on the floor.... went back and hit it a few more times to make sure it was dead!

A helmet like you're never seen

Hmm - someone renamed my thread :p

Anyway how about this for a new idea... ?

dznhovdingbyannahauptan.jpg

http://www.dezeen.com/2011/02/01/hovding-by-anna-haupt-and-terese-alstin/

This bicycle helmet designed by Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin erupts from its hiding place inside a scarf when triggered by abnormal movements. Called Hövding, the product is worn as a scarf and an airbag folded into the collar inflates to cover the whole head before impact.

That was I good sir that changed the name of the thread and started a new.

Thought it best due to the fact that 100% of the posts were limericks and it seemed to be preventing people from riding! :D

Hmm - someone renamed my thread :p

Anyway how about this for a new idea... ?

dznhovdingbyannahauptan.jpg

http://www.dezeen.com/2011/02/01/hovding-by-anna-haupt-and-terese-alstin/

This bicycle helmet designed by Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin erupts from its hiding place inside a scarf when triggered by abnormal movements. Called Hövding, the product is worn as a scarf and an airbag folded into the collar inflates to cover the whole head before impact.

Hmmm, now just what exactly constitutes an
"abnormal movement" that could possibly trigger said "eruption"?
怖い怖い怖い!!

Just back from my mate's new house where I taught him a lesson in table tennis on Wii Sports!

I got two rides in this weekend.

90km on Saturday, mostly in the rain but happy to be on the road for the first time since mid-Decemeber.

80 km today in sunshine. I felt great on the bike and was cruising along with little effort and an average speed of 34kmph for the ride. July form in February!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Spin City

I rode around Tullio Stallone, my steel bike today for 4 hours. dont know the distance or hr or power or cadence cause tuff guys with steel bikes dont need a computer to tell em how tuff they are. Stayed in the drops into the wind the whole time too, up hill both ways.

But really I kept it on the small on the triple and snail crawled for 4 hours. I also loaded the saddle bag with tools and filled my two largest water bottles to the top and I really think it ways double what my carbon bike weighs. Im gonna try and stay off my carbon bike until Im done with base training. I remember when I started riding I had a tank for a bike, when I finally got a decent bike I was a monster after riding the tank for so long, so now I am trying to restore my old monsterness cause Ive just plain been spoiled with my carbon bike.

Track day with Hiroshi san. 2 virgins initiated into the right of passage onto the hi-lo, boffed a start due to mechanical, 1000m TT then 6 x200m intervals to beat what shit was left of my LAT and a bunch of pace laps. A great day!

Tim,

Sounds like you had a blast. Which velodrome did you ride?

Also, if it's out of competition, it might be better for training to cut down the 1000m TT. If you just do 400 or 600 instead, you will actually be able to ride on afterwards.

Definitely 2 full water bottles and extra weights in the saddle bag in February!

You'll be flying up those hills come spring!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

hahaha, yep this is what im doing too, yet add a 6km laptop, lunch, change of clothes, winter riding clothes and my power tap wheels to the formula. :D

It was actually snowing a bit when I left for my daily hospital visit :D My lovely wife thought I was nuts, she even offered to drive me to the hospital :rolleyes:
It was only snowing a bit, and it was not sticking, so what the hey, why not ride?
I found out that the cheap rain jacket and pants that I bought about 50lbs ago for use on my 3 wheeled 50cc scooter suck big time on the bicycle, going to need to get some decent rain pants at some point, any suggestions?

113.5Kg on the scale today, that is down from 136Kg last June :) Still got a way to go, but I'm feeling better and getting stronger all the time, life is good!

Stu, Keep it up mate! I have a lot of respect to people that make efforts to change themselves.

It must be very hard running an offee. (Off Licence) I'd come straight off a ride and hit the fridge!

Stu, Keep it up mate! I have a lot of respect to people that make efforts to change themselves.

It must be very hard running an offee. (Off Licence) I'd come straight off a ride and hit the fridge!

Thanks, it is well worth it, I feel so much better most of the time!

I'm getting kicked in the nuts today with the side effect of the interferon, I feel like I got pushed down a set of stairs, I ache all over and stuff hurts, but only one more shot to go tomorrow, then I'm off it for two weeks. After than in the beginning of March, I'll have one more 10 day round of shots, and I'm done, can't wait!:D

Can anyone recommend a good set of rain pants? I think I have a decent Gortex Jacket that I can use, but I really need a good set of rain pants, I should start a new thread I guess.... :)

Same Kawasaki track with Hiroshi san. I always enjoyed velodrome events when I was a kid, but being so skinny just got my ass whipped all over the place. Now it's kinda fun, mainly for the camaraderie and age does level out the comp a bit. Though, those darn ex-pros are soooo fast! I would love to be able to do this 1x monthly in slightly more organized fashion, if you know how, please let me know! Especially pursuit event

Tim,

Sounds like you had a blast. Which velodrome did you ride?

Also, if it's out of competition, it might be better for training to cut down the 1000m TT. If you just do 400 or 600 instead, you will actually be able to ride on afterwards.

Still a lot of snow all over the friggin' place.

So in January, 19 visits to the pool. Zero time on a bike...

February (up thru today), 9 visits. Still zero time on a bike...

But, with the help of a good imagination:

enhanced-buzz-15327-1296845270-8.jpg

(unfortunately, when I take the curves too fast, I do sometimes find myself crowding the centerline)

Swim

Thats ferickin alot!
I have been swiming here and there and can feel my VO2 max burn just like in a sprint (at a much quicker rate though). I would have to place it in the same category as running... as in I really would rather not be doing this but I want to do something in this blimey weather and ridin the bike is possiblle at times but I really do not enjoy loosing the feeling in any of my extremities. But all of that swimming will help you so much keep up the good work:clap:
As for me I have my fitness room in my home all set up and I find that if it is neat and orderly it is so much more easy for me to pop in for a quick workout. Maybe its just the shop rat in me that was trained to clean the bench before building the bike, but if the workout room is not orderly I tend to head for the computer instead of training. I only have a bench press one free weight a giant ball and my turbo trainer, but that with stretching and smfr has been keeping me out of my local gym. I walked home from the farm today (my family's farm where I milk cows) and the snow was really deep and was a nice effort through the woods. It took around 30 minutes (usually takes 10 minutes by bike)
I cant wait for summeer and really want to host a TCC ride here in Nagano. I really am lucky to live in such a great place to ride, I am so suprised the bike bug isnt running rampant here. Although the ones who do have it are teminal, from what I have seen.
Kudos

_Chuck

Yesterday,

After 2 days on the couch watching the crappy weather it was nice to see some blue skies again.
Went out for a ride on the Arakawa heading north. Strong ice cold headwinds pushing against me.
Turned around earlier than I planned and rode down to the sea instead.

Ended up with 90km's ridden mostly under HR 150.

Getting bored with the river and want the spring to arrive tomorrow :(

I am totally with you on wanting spring to arrive... 30 km on the Tama River yesterday, and that headwind was torture - patches of ice mid-day too... and so many people - way too crowded. Over 40 km on the river today too. Couldn't feel my toes for most of it - similar to yesterday... except for the rain that started falling on me on the way back. Now snow :( Anyone planning on going to Okutama on Sunday if the weather is okay?

Back
Top Bottom