What's new

To Paul, Who Ran Me Off the Tamagawa Cycling Path Sunday 10AM

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Hi Paul:

I don't know you, but I met you briefly as you were riding south along the Tamagawa path just south of Sekidobashi on Sunday morning around 10AM.

I was riding out of town with Christian, a visitor to Japan, so decided to take the path so he could get a view of the river (I usually take the roads since, well, the path tends to be full of old people, dogs, kids and dangerous a-holes riding too fast on bikes, but made an exception for this social, scenic ride). We met Andrew and Danny and started to ride together. I was in the lead. We went slowly past a group of at least 100 elderly walkers on some kind of event (lead walker with flag). Lots of kids heading to/from baseball. Dogs. Picnickers.

As we leave a picnic area and reach the straightaway to Sekidobashi, the path opens up a bit and cyclists can increase speed. But the path was still crowded. On the relevant stretch, however, OUR side was clear, and we were making good speed, even as some slow cyclists/walkers headed the other way.

Then all of a sudden 2 cyclists (you and one more riding with/behind you) decide you want to pass the congestion on your side by shifting onto our side of the path as you approached me head on. WTF? Maybe just because MOST people are going slow, you assumed that we also must be creeping along and you would go by in plenty of time. Not quite right. We were going as fast as you, but were on OUR side of the road.

Anyway, you and the rider behind you forced me to brake suddenly and pull off onto the gravel-covered shoulder to avoid a collision. Of course, you did not have anywhere to go -- since you were passing old, slow innocent folks. If there had NOT been a shoulder, I would have put my shoulder down and we both would have gone flying. I weigh 95 kgs and was going quite fast. You looked about the same. Not a pretty conclusion.

"No harm no foul", right? WRONG. If I had kept going at speed, rather than giving in to your game of chicken, we would have crashed. And I do not appreciate riding a new carbon frame at high speed into gravel.

Did you hear my greeting as you continued to hammer down the path? Why didn't you come back to say hello? I was ready to turn around and chase you down (and I guarantee you, with that much adrenaline pumping, I could do so), but Andrew calmed me down and told me he knew your name -- had met you that morning at Marukobashi -- so we continued and enjoyed the rest of our ride. So let me just extend a warm greeting in the hope you are a TCC reader. Send me a private message if you do not mind continuing the conversation.

But meanwhile, I suggest you get off the path and onto the street, before you kill someone.

LOL

I had exactly the same thing happen to me this afternoon.

Riding on my side of the path, with a walker walking towards me on his side. All good, and the universe in balance. As I approach, some dickhead on a mid-level hybrid decides to accelerate out from behind the walker, into my path. I shouted at him, then he shouted at me(!), I veered to the left and skimmed past him. May or may not have tried to throw a shoulder into him, but may or may not have missed (bugger it). Carried on riding (and KOMed the segment I was on). Got to the end, turned round and started to ride back.

I could see the nobhead riding along so spun up beside him, and asked him what the fuck he was playing at. He obviously denied all knowledge. Not being in the mood for any more bullshit, I leaned into him, then shoved him off the path and down the grass bank. Heard some 'chotto' bollocks coming out his disgusting cigarette stinking yellow toothed natto-hole, from behind me, and went merrily on my way.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better, @dgl2

Yeah,
I hear the both of you!
What with the current cycling boom here there are legions of arseholes out there,both native and gaijin.
I've even had to resort to come home by the Nakagawa River instead of the Edogawa River after my sojourns up to Sekiyado to avoid them.

Yeah,
I hear the both of you!
What with the current cycling boom here there are legions of arseholes out there,both native and gaijin.
I've even had to resort to come home by the Nakagawa River instead of the Edogawa River after my sojourns up to Sekiyado to avoid them.

LOL. If a sly dig, hats off for wording. If not, come up to Sekiyado with me any time on the Edogawa. We can tear the place up.

Not being in the mood for any more bullshit, I leaned into him, then shoved him off the path and down the grass bank. Heard some 'chotto' bollocks coming out his disgusting cigarette stinking yellow toothed natto-hole, from behind me, and went merrily on my way.

... actually, does not make me feel better. Scares me a bit. I am DEFINITELY going back to the roads.

Did you hear my greeting as you continued to hammer down the path? Why didn't you come back to say hello? I was ready to turn around and chase you down (and I guarantee you, with that much adrenaline pumping, I could do so), but Andrew calmed me down and told me he knew your name -- had met you that morning at Marukobashi -- so we continued and enjoyed the rest of our ride. So let me just extend a warm greeting in the hope you are a TCC reader. Send me a private message if you do not mind continuing the conversation.

But meanwhile, I suggest you get off the path and onto the street, before you kill someone.

I'm glad you (and the bike) are safe, David! Let us know whether Paul had the decency to get back to you.

I usually take the roads since, well, the path tends to be full of old people

Yeah, sorry.

Particular incidents aside, you have a point. This old person uneventfully and slowly went up the river a little earlier that day. The shadows were lengthening in Hamura, and I realized I'd have to hurry back. I wasn't much worried, as I knew where the gates and barriers were, and where the tipsy barbecuers thronged. I had two fairly bright lights pointing forward.

Well, my flashing Cat-Eye lights clearly aren't as absorbing as email or daydreaming. Geezers (zombies?) on papachari headed straight at me. Somewhere around Noborito, it got too dark and too scary, and I got onto the road.

Yeah, sorry.
@microcord despite your age you are not as useless as you make yourself out to be. There's a strong element of Duracell in those thighs.

I have noticed an alarming tendency among Maruko-, Futago and Tamasuido-bashi BBQ fanz recently to relax in the twilight by sitting or against or looming on the shared-use cycle path. Colour me intolerant, ultrapedestrians, but loitering and not looking where you're going will result in a late evening blast from my bidon. Better you learn the lesson now than catch a bicycle in the groin another day.

LOL

I had exactly the same thing happen to me this afternoon.

Riding on my side of the path, with a walker walking towards me on his side. All good, and the universe in balance. As I approach, some dickhead on a mid-level hybrid decides to accelerate out from behind the walker, into my path. I shouted at him, then he shouted at me(!), I veered to the left and skimmed past him. May or may not have tried to throw a shoulder into him, but may or may not have missed (bugger it). Carried on riding (and KOMed the segment I was on). Got to the end, turned round and started to ride back.

I could see the nobhead riding along so spun up beside him, and asked him what the fuck he was playing at. He obviously denied all knowledge. Not being in the mood for any more bullshit, I leaned into him, then shoved him off the path and down the grass bank. Heard some 'chotto' bollocks coming out his disgusting cigarette stinking yellow toothed natto-hole, from behind me, and went merrily on my way.

I think you did what we would have loved to have done.
Far too many muppets out and about nowadays!
Be careful this weekend,good weather has been forecast so all the nobheads will be out in force.

Last edited:
I think you did what we would have loved to have done.
Far too many muppets out and about nowadays!
Be careful this weekend,good weather has been forecast so all the nobheads will be out in force.
I very rarely have any problems with people riding bikes when I'm out and about. I tend to find that if you ride sensibility then you should be fine. It seems that if you ride with the intention of finding "nob heads" you will probably find one. Riding sensibly and with respect for others and you'll generally have no problems.

I very rarely have any problems with people riding bikes when I'm out and about. I tend to find that if you ride sensibility then you should be fine. It seems that if you ride with the intention of finding "nob heads" you will probably find one. Riding sensibly and with respect for others and you'll generally have no problems.
You obviously don't spend much time riding the Tamagawa between Chofu and Fuchu... :)

I very rarely have any problems with people riding bikes when I'm out and about.
Good post.
I think too, if you are on a shared multi use path with any expectation of being able to ride over 20kmph is unrealistic. Yes we can quite often do so but it's a lucky circumstance rather than the expectation. My advice for cyclists who want to train safely, get on the road and leave the bike paths to occasional recreational users and the rest of the public.
You obviously don't spend much time riding the Tamagawa between Chofu and Fuchu... :)
so wouldn't you be better off not riding there as well. Or at least using that section as a warm up and cool down at low speeds?

I think too, if you are on a shared multi use path with any expectation of being able to ride over 20kmph is unrealistic. Yes we can quite often do so but it's a lucky circumstance rather than the expectation. My advice for cyclists who want to train safely, get on the road and leave the bike paths to occasional recreational users and the rest of the public.

LOL. 20kmph.

Over 500 people on this section alone didn't get your memo, including loads of TCC and Half Fast members, and hundreds and hundreds of Japanese riders.

https://www.strava.com/segments/907327?filter=overall

This is the case on literally every single multi use path out there.

Yes but what he is saying is that it is the exception not the rule and you shouldn't go there expecting to thunder along unimpeded every time you turn up. It isn't your personal hammer road. It's a multi use path for everyone and getting Agro with old fellas dawdling along because you have a segment to KOM isn't what was in mind when it was built. The granny you freak out shouting your bad Japanese didn't leave her house for a peaceful walk along the river expecting to be accosted by sprinting Lycra clad ruffians. She is entitled to her activity more than you are yours. There was a member on here a while back who said you are legally not allowed over 20kph on those paths but we all know and his Strava activity proved that's horse shit.
If you're lucky enough to be there when it's empty then by all means ramp it up but you shouldn't go assuming that it is your personal test ground/runway.
Pretty sure that's what @George5 was on about.

Last edited:
Good post.

so wouldn't you be better off not riding there as well. Or at least using that section as a warm up and cool down at low speeds?
I try to avoid that stretch as much as possible! Or as you said, keep the pace down and shout warnings...a lot!
Weekends when the keirin is open are worst... mamacharies with newspaper reading oyajis on their way... and on the return the same but after 4 one cups...

Yes but what he is saying is that it is the exception not the rule and you shouldn't go there expecting to thunder along unimpeded every time you turn up. It isn't your personal hammer road. It's a multi use path for everyone and getting Agro with old fellas dawdling along because you have a segment to KOM isn't what was in mind when it was built. The granny you freak out shouting your bad Japanese didn't leave her house for a peaceful walk along the river expecting to be accosted by sprinting Lycra clad ruffians. She is entitled to her activity more that you are yours. There was a member on here a while back who said you are legally not allowed over 20kph on those paths but we all know and his Strava activity proved that's horse shit.
If you're lucky enough to be there when it's empty then by all means ramp it up but you shouldn't go assuming that it is your personal test ground/runway.

LOL, is all that directed at me, or are you speaking generally?

I guess it wouldn't work for some of the head-on cases, above, but if you really want to communicate that "a bike is approaching" to many of those "people" out on the cycle paths, what you need is the kind of ching-a-ling bell typically found on mamachari.

You can yell, shout, whistle, or use some odd kind of noise-maker horn, but a mamachari bell is what means "approaching bike" here.

"Toorimasu" when approaching from behind has also seemed almost as good.

If you're cruising at a speed where one of those don't work well, I think you might be riding in the wrong place or under the wrong conditions.

LOL. 20kmph.

Over 500 people on this section alone didn't get your memo, including loads of TCC and Half Fast members, and hundreds and hundreds of Japanese riders.

https://www.strava.com/segments/907327?filter=overall

This is the case on literally every single multi use path out there.
Not sure what is so funny.... every single one of those Strava users is setting themselves up for a massive law suit if they are unlucky enough to cause injury to someone just walking, running, crawling stumbling along. TCCers who are smart would not be doing KOMs on MUPs or in congested traffic conditions. Pretty hard to argue you were riding safely when your personal history so diligently shared online proves the contrary. I'll say it again, you want to ride fast get on the road away from unprotected citizens. I never have and never will understand the mindset that gets people racing or pretending to be racers on MUPs and getting upset with regular normal users.

Exactly, thank you for your understanding.

Back
Top Bottom