What's new

To Akeno, 8/5 Sun.?

Chikako

Maximum Pace
May 6, 2012
Hi all,

Today, one of my patients pointed me that there's a full-blown sunflower field in Akeno, Yamanashi.
http://www.city.hokuto.yamanashi.jp/tourism/area/sunflower.html
The more I thought about it, I couldn't keep my mind off the idea of riding out there when it's at their best.

So, this is what I'm planning the coming Sunday.
Leave Tokyo at around 5:00 am
Ride about 150km mostly on Rt.20
(I will avoid the Sasago tunnel and take the old path.)
Catch the Chuo-line back to Tokyo (from Kofu, maybe)

I'm ready to go solo due to the route (yes, main roads) and the nature of the ride (I mean, umm.. to go see flowers?), but am just taking chances posting my plan here.
If anybody's actually interested, will decide the meeting spot etc.

This is my first time riding beyond Otsuki, so wish me luck!

Chikako

Hey Chikako,

I was actually planning a ride in that direction for Sunday, do you have a route planned out? I mean that we could follow with GPS, more for my own knowledge about how your getting to where your going.

My ride is mapped out and will end up in Akiyama, but perhaps I'll join you instead.

Just got my train bag tonight so I may join you for another battle in the heat.

Nice work getting a bike bag.

I was thinking about you today Josh - while I was riding up the Tama River without an ounce of shade in what felt like 40 degree heat between 2:00 and 4:00 today. I was thinking it would be perfect for you to get more accustom to riding in the summer here. You need to comsume an insane amount of water, and wear sunscreen, but the faster you go, the better the breeze is, and though there must be some science about aclimatization, I think most of it is phycological and knowing what you have survived before (ie. experience).

Nice work getting a bike bag.

I was thinking about you today Josh - while I was riding up the Tama River without an ounce of shade in what felt like 40 degree heat between 2:00 and 4:00 today. I was thinking it would be perfect for you to get more accustom to riding in the summer here. You need to comsume an insane amount of water, and wear sunscreen, but the faster you go, the better the breeze is, and though there must be some science about aclimatization, I think most of it is phycological and knowing what you have survived before (ie. experience).

Agreed, I do need to keep riding in the daytime heat to get used to it more.

I ride 4 mornings a week but that's from 6-7am so it's nice and cool, your right on about the experience being a key. As I learn more about how I deal with the heat it will help me know my limits better, and I will have to adjust my water consumption as well.

I was at Tim's today to pick up the cocoon, and we were talking about the possible GSastuto version having a built in wheel section for the front wheel. I remarked that I was not in to buying this because I want to take care of my frame. In the meantime I ordered some Ostrich frame protectors.

Why don't you ride out through Oume and out and over Yanagisawa-toge? That'd be a hell of a lot nicer than Route #20!

I'm not familiar with the road names around here, partly because I still can't read them:rolleyes:

That said, I think it's a good idea to stay off the large roads for a few reasons, but it is your ride Chikako, and if you'd like I can map something out and use my Garmin. For example my route could go to Yamanashi as well, but it takes you through Akiyama and Mt. Takahata, so all smaller roads.

This is my original route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1521961

Hi Josh, thanks for responding!
Would be great to share even some part of the ride with you.

Following Pete's advice, I've attempted to map something like this:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1526136

You're from the Hino area, right?
How about meeting at Oume station (near 36mile point on the map) at around 8:30am?
Check your PM for my contacts.

Pete, thanks for the advice! Very grateful.
I can always depend on you.
Similar to what Josh had stated, although I'd like to keep myself away from the main roads as much as possible, they're sometimes much easier to follow without worrying about getting lost.
I'll try this one though.

Following Pete's advice, I've attempted to map something like this: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1526136

Pete, thanks for the advice! Very grateful.
I can always depend on you.
Similar to what Josh had stated, although I'd like to keep myself away from the main roads as much as possible, they're sometimes much easier to follow without worrying about getting lost.
I'll try this one though.

No worries, that's one of the many great things about TCC! Your new route looks much better! And, you'll really enjoy the section between Oume and Enzan! The descent from Yanagisawa alone will make it worthwhile!!

the route through Kofu looked like it was mainly going through the busy part of town and some of it was on the 高速道路. i drew up a quick alternate route from enzan that i think well be a little less busy. getting around in kofu is generally pretty easy as long as you know where you are and what direction you're going.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1528263

the route through Kofu looked like it was mainly going through the busy part of town and some of it was on the 高速道路. i drew up a quick alternate route from enzan that i think well be a little less busy. getting around in kofu is generally pretty easy as long as you know where you are and what direction you're going.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1528263

Nice one, Patrick!

If Chikako is all good with these updates then I will try to put together a finalized route and load it to the edge 500, the turn by turn and 'follow the line' directions should be fine. I have tested them around my place just to make sure I am familiar with the screens and so on.

Pete, is the route similar in traffic level as the one last weekend?

Thanks,
Josh

here's my traffic prediction.
tokyo to ome: crap
ome to okutama: trucks with scattered cars
okutama to enzan: more cars than trucks
kofu: cars everywhere but mostly mellow 田舎 city traffic.
last 5-10k: nothing

you can avoid some traffic by going to kosuge-mura and then climbing imagawa-toge, but that's not an easy climb. i don't personally like the section of ome-kaido between ome and okutama but i think that more than one car every 5 minutes is too many cars. the only really bad parts will be on the way to ome.

the last time i did yanagisawa-toge there were almost no cars, but that might have been because there was snow everywhere. still, both the up and down parts of yanagisawa should be pretty empty.

here's my traffic prediction.
tokyo to ome: crap
ome to okutama: trucks with scattered cars
okutama to enzan: more cars than trucks
kofu: cars everywhere but mostly mellow 田舎 city traffic.
last 5-10k: nothing

you can avoid some traffic by going to kosuge-mura and then climbing imagawa-toge, but that's not an easy climb. i don't personally like the section of ome-kaido between ome and okutama but i think that more than one car every 5 minutes is too many cars. the only really bad parts will be on the way to ome.

the last time i did yanagisawa-toge there were almost no cars, but that might have been because there was snow everywhere. still, both the up and down parts of yanagisawa should be pretty empty.

Whatever you find for traffic, I can guarantee it'll be 100x better than Route #20! ;)

Whatever you find for traffic, I can guarantee it'll be 100x better than Route #20! ;)

word. route 20 is not fun. traffic on ome-kaido between ome and okutama is usually about the same, but faster moving, as the odarumi section of route 20.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not one for traffic either but it seems that I miss the worst this time around.

There is one advantage of cars on roads.....faster moving traffic equals faster moving bicycle

Just fill up those water bottles

Yeah I would say 100X better is pretty accurate: Cars really arent an issue from Oume to Tabayama-mura (at the 411/118 intersection), and even less so from there to Enzan (incl. that fab fab fab descent down from Yanagisawa).

The only thing I would stress is to be well hydrated and filled up once leaving Tabayama. The Yanagisawa climb will feel long after riding out from Tokyo in the heat, and the drinking possibilities are quite limited from the last village until the udon place at the very top. In fact, I can only remember something by a tea shop half way up or something but my memory might be wrong.

/Frode

Back
Top Bottom