What's new

Help Titanium frame repairs ?

@George5 , yeah I hear you. It's just that I'm just so squeezed of any free time right now I'm weighing up all options. Let me be clear - they have agreed to repair/replace (no issue there) but I do have to send back the clean frame to them first (I'm checking how long that will take, and if they will budge on this condition). Plus, I would be lying if I said I hadn't also considered @Half-Fast Mike's idea.... ;)

A lot of the bike/car race orientated shops have the means to weld Ti, and as to them a bike is just the means to get around to the conbini, they probably won't place the absurd price mark ups that bicycle companies have managed to create for themselves.

@SteveT

If you want two bikes I would get that Giant, ride it for a season and then if you really don't want it anymore you could sell it for likely more than you paid.
Carbon really is a great material. Try it, you'll like it. Try it Steve T. Try it a month and then you will see. Supple but stiff and a hint of light air, faster than Ti and not quite so dear.

@theBlob - yes, it seems that way. And the weld would be out of sight anyway. I'll ask around this weekend anyways for an idea of price.

@leicaman, @George5 - thanks ! I didn't spot that. I will look into the Giant idea a bit more once I knock off work tonight.

I wouldn't buy a frame from them. Send yours back and transfer your parts onto something else (I have a frame but it seems XL will be too big for you) as a temporary fix.

I'm no expert but looking at the location I'd say they'll give you a new frame.

Just be sure to pressure them. Daily!

Oh yeah, and contrary to what some might say, try a carbon frame and you'll realise how good titanium is! Haha!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Hi Steve: I guess you really need to contact the manufacturer to see what your options are (NOTE: I now see your later post in which you indicate you have done so). If they sold it and shipped it to you when you were in Japan, and will cover shipping etc., then agree you need to talk them into covering the shipping and getting you replacement ASAP. I suspect they will replace rather than repair.

... I had this happen with a titanium frame once - crack in exactly the same spot, and I shipped it back and the manufacturer sent me a new frame ... different model due to passage of time. I needed to pay shipping I think since I bought the bike in the U.S. then relocated to Tokyo.

If you want to have it repaired -- a replacement of the seat tube -- then might try Vlad at Equilibrium Cycles in Tokyo, if he does repairs.
Hiroshi at C Speed says nice things about him and you could check with Gunjira, who has one of his bikes.

And what size is the frame? (My son's Gios aluminum frame bike w/ Ultegra 6600 components and a choice of wheels from the garage is sitting gathering dust ... 56cm frame I think.)

Last edited:
Hi David,

I'm still (!) weighting up options, but I might take this opportunity to downsize the frame (currently a 56) for a slightly shorter top-tube, and get rid of the 80mm stem at last… I've been wanting to do this for a long time (actually since I got the bike 6 years ago). This whole incident has also got me thinking in another direction: going down a frame size on a new carbon bike with a "sportive" geometry… like the Cannondale Synapse for example, which I really like the look of and would seemingly suit my, er, short arms. Very tempting, and as I haven't spent any decent money on cycling for many years I can almost justify it to myself.

So options now are (1) send the frame back and get a replacement (2) buy at cost, and go down a size, (3) treat this as destiny calling me to get a new bike (and of course ship the ti frame back for replacement while I'm at it). But there is also the hassle factor, as I'm so tied up at work right now I don't have much time to look around.

Anyway, (3) seems a bit extravagant, so it will probably be (1) or (2). But I could change my mind tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer of a bike, David. I've dug out my old Klein aluminum bike - it's Tiagra (a temporary drop from Campy Chorus…) but works. The wheels are stock though, so I would be interested in what wheels you could lend me from your son's collection :)

-- Steve

Hi Steve: Will send you a note offline. (The bike is my son's ... but the wheels are mine, all mine!)

A Synapse will withstand some serious abuse. All high-end Cannondale frames can.

If you do bugger it, you just take it down the shop you bought it at, they call Cannondale, and you get a new one in a few days. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom