What's new

Review tire levers , which is better

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Which is better, a metal made one or a hard plastic one?
Have any of you bought the 100 yen metal tire lever tube repair kit at Daiso? If so, are they safe to change the tube without destroying the rim?

if you know what you are doing either is fine, either can also pinch a tube if you aren't careful. I prefer plastic however.

if you know what you are doing either is fine, either can also pinch a tube if you aren't careful. I prefer plastic however.

OK, thanks. I'll check with the shop. I did get the daiso repair kit with the metal levers, but at 100 yen, maybe plastic might be better. I think 400 yen at the shop.

Personally I have never used metal tire levers. Aluminium rims are relatively soft, you don't really want to dent or scratch them with anything hard. Tires are relatively easy to get on/off, requiring nothing stronger than plastic levers (depending on the tire and how new it is, I can often manage with my bare hands).

The big variable here is how tight your rim/tyre combination is. Tight and your levers will matter. "Normal" tightness and you mightn't need levers at all.
The advent of tubeless tires and tubeless-ready rims have led to more combinations that are super tight. Ditto what kiwisimon says about pinch flatting if your combo is tight.

Back
Top Bottom