What's new

Tire boot usage - how long is ok?

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
I put one of those park tools emergency tire boots in a tire following a puncture and then swapping front/rear tires. Now the boot is on the front.

The tire has a 4mm, maybe 5mm cut in it which is where the boot comes in. Should I be changing tires ASAP or do ppl ride with the boot for a bit?

It's called an emergency tyre boot for a reason - However this cut, is it all the way through - does the inner tube bulge through when you do not use the boot, is it on the rolling surface or on the side wall?

I have several training tyres with small slashes on the rolling surface of the tyre - basically these can be ridden if the slash is not all the way through an old trick is to get some super glue and fill the slash with glue then using an old inner tube and some fine grit sand paper, sand down the inner tube so you have a fair amout of dust - use this dust to pack the slash to the top.

This prevent road debri getting in and causing another puncture.

If the slash is on the side wall then bin it and get a new tyre.

an old trick is to get some super glue and fill the slash with glue then using an old inner tube and some fine grit sand paper, sand down the inner tube so you have a fair amout of dust - use this dust to pack the slash to the top.

Quality. Never thought of that before!

Understanding that most modern tires use some barrier fabric (kevlar, etc) they are quite robust to tears. But, I'm with FE on this - if it's a sidewall damage then I'm fine to get home on it, but you won't find me running 10/10 on any downhills, and especially that tire would better not be on my front! I do the superglue trick all the time - learned it from FE and it works great. Especially I pick up a fair amount of glass, staples and other roadjunk which generally causes small slices but nothing that a little GEAX won't stop from the inside, and the superglue trick prevents rapid treadloss or flattening on the road side.

Thanks guys.

This did go all the way through. Got home without the boot, only put it on after moving tires around. Have only done a big river run with it.

Went to Ys and got another tire. Unfortunately didn't have black/black. Some other colors were 6000+ yen, this one was 4500 or so. Don't see a difference, the guy seemed to explain something to me but when I asked about if it was a 700 or not (vittoria show 622) he had no idea and had to ask. Whatever, no idea, as long as it fits I guess it's better than what I've got.

here's a pic of the gash.

photo-2.jpg

Doesn't look too bad - I'd just patch from the back and superglue the tread and run it on the rear. Vittoria's are tough tires - the tear won't spread if you care for it. BTW 622 is the ISO measurement for the '700c' and '29er' rim. You may also see 28" somewhere - that's generally the O.D. so don't be confused. Unless perchance you pick up a 27" tire - which is highly unlikely in Japan.

Yeah, '622' on the Vittoria tyre box means it will fit your road bike wheels fine.

I quizzed the same issue before.

I'm irritated that photobucket doesn't handle my rotate photo activity. :mad:

Another point to consider is that if you have to ride a damaged tire, you definitely want that tire in the back, not the front!

Yeah, I should really have thought of that more. I actually changed the tires around because the rear had worn through the tread pattern and I figured I'd go for trying to even them out.

well, now I've got a funny tire with a red stripe on it, suppose I could move them around again and they should wear about the same till done. Not sure I'm motivated enough to do it before tomorrow. Hmm. Not good for the mountain ride.... (and neither is this bottle of cava...yum!)

erm how about treating yourself to a new set front and back ;)

Back
Top Bottom