What's new

Tips for a NON cycling trip to the UK (am I actually allowed to post this here?)

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2015
Since quite some TCCers are from the UK, I'd like to asked for some ideas/tips/advice where to travel in the UK on an about 5-day trip in the Spring time.
We (2 adults) can't afford too fancy. We're thinking of country side scenery like Cotswolds (I guess Cotswolds' already fancy, isn't it?).
Does anyone have a suggestion for us?
Any comment would be deeply appreciated.

Guess your flying into London and renting a car?

London ~ Stone Henge ~ Bath ~ Cotswolds?

If you flew in to say Manchester, you could drive up to the Lake District and stay cheap in youth hostels.

Or in to Newcastle and explore the Northumberland coast and up to Edinburgh.

Andy

Thank you @andywood.
Yes, flying into London or Manchester are the best (most convenient) options for us.
We like traveling by train, but I guess renting a car would be the best (well second best) way to get to see the nice spots of the Britsh country side.
I didn't know about the Lake District. I just enjoyed a brief Google slide show of some landscape pictures. It really looks awesome.
Oh, I wish my wife would be into cycling...it seems like a nice place for bikepacking. And so does the Northumberland coast.
Nice looking places and very different from what we've got here around Berlin.

Thank you @andywood.
Yes, flying into London or Manchester are the best (most convenient) options for us.
We like traveling by train, but I guess renting a car would be the best (well second best) way to get to see the nice spots of the Britsh country side.
I didn't know about the Lake District. I just enjoyed a brief Google slide show of some landscape pictures. It really looks awesome.
Oh, I wish my wife would be into cycling...it seems like a nice place for bikepacking. And so does the Northumberland coast.
Nice looking places and very different from what we've got here around Berlin.

Other than for central London, a car is definitely best.

Train travel is expensive so it is probably worth comparing the two.

I enjoyed cycling in the Lakes 2 summers ago. Riding every morning before breakfast. We stayed in the youth hostel in Buttermere which was great but really isolated (impossible without a car or bike). With the Lakes, you have to be lucky with the weather so it is always a risk. We kept an eye on the forecast and booked last minute.

More sunshine on the east coast and Northumberland. We'll stay for a week at Seahouses this summer so I hope to get some good riding in up there.

Andy

Edinburgh is an amazing city and totally worth it just by itself and the surroundings. I am not a Brit nor a Scot, but I have very fond memories of that place. We spent 3/4 of a day just in the castle alone. For cheap accommodations, my go to is always Airbnb.

Edinburgh is an amazing city and totally worth it just by itself and the surroundings. I am not a Brit nor a Scot, but I have very fond memories of that place. We spent 3/4 of a day just in the castle alone. For cheap accommodations, my go to is always Airbnb.

That sounds like another great option.
I really wish I'd have longer vacation and deeper pockets.
I'll guess have to browse though the idees with my wife.

That sounds like another great option.
I really wish I'd have longer vacation and deeper pockets.
I'll guess have to browse though the idees with my wife.
I usually prefer to visit fewer places but longer — unless you enjoy going from A to B and consider that part of the fun. Oh, and if you have little money, avoid London. Awesome city, but pricey.

Back
Top Bottom