What's new

Tipping the Scales.....

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK we had a "Show me your bike" thread, now how about a "How much does your bike weigh" thread :D

My old school 1988 Cannondale SM500 weighs in at 14.2 Kg fully dressed and ready for urban combat.......

cannondale_brooks_skinny_kojaks-1-1.jpg

My Charge Mixer 8 workhorse towing bike really tips the scales at 18.2Kg :warau:

Mixer_8_new_bars_paint_rack_1.jpg

And to finish my round up, my beer hauling trailer weighs 30.1 kg.....
trailer_ver_3point1_a.jpg

The Charge Mixer 8 at 18.2 Kg, the trailer at 30.1 Kg means I have a base line of 48.3 Kg to start my deliveries, might be why my legs were hurting :D

So show us your tanks, or your super lightweight bikes!

Maybe it would justbe best to intergrate the two? Kind of repeating ourselves here.

I actually have no idea how much my bike weighs, i think my giant is about 10.6kg
I'd love to know how heavy my crappy cheverolet is. it feels like it weighs about 60kg

I actually have no idea how much my bike weighs, i think my giant is about 10.6kg
I'd love to know how heavy my crappy cheverolet is. it feels like it weighs about 60kg

I just used my bathroom scale, balanced the bike on the rear wheel and let it go for a second, to get an idea of the weight, the trailer I could stand up on the back panel and get a reading.

The guys with light road bikes, I'd be interested in seeing what your bikes weigh :D

Stu...if you are representative of the UCI, then my bike weighs 6.8kg.

If you aren't well I will let you pick it up and let you decide ;)

7.5 ? feck thats light

what did you do ? file it down ?

wouldnt mind dropping some excess off my own

I have got mine down to 7.5kg now.

I bet my wheels weigh that much :eek: :D

When you lock it up, you are not so much locking it up as weighing it down so a breeze don't blow it away up into the sky......:bike:

7.5 ? feck thats light

what did you do ? file it down ?

wouldnt mind dropping some excess off my own

The following spec;

CAAD9 frame, with full carbon fork, slammed and cut right down
Full Dura-Ace
Time carbon pedals
Deda Zero100 bars and stem
Titanium compression unit
Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels
Ultralight inner tubes
Vittoria Open Corso tyres (awesome recommend from Far East; cheers mate)
Deda SuperZero full carbon seatpost
etc.

This = 7.5kg.

It does feel very very light. Not as light as one of James' secret carbon monsters, but as light as an Aluminium bike is going to get, I reckon. Not sure if I could go any lighter on the wheels (and not sure if I want to!)

I think with a bike like this, getting the weight down is as much about cutting bits off it, and replacing little things with lighter versions as it is getting the large items in light weight versions. For instance, I saved 170g just by replacing the seatpost. In the same session, I cut the steerer tube down, which took of 35g, so that is a 205g saving right there.

I am clearly teetering on the edge of obsession now.

I blame Far East.

Ok hit list for cutting weight:

Carbon Saddle with no padding
Intergrated Stem and bars
WHEELS,WHEELS, WHEELS!
Q/R Skewers
Bearings..... pricey but replacing all your bearing to100% cermaic including rails knocks a lot of weight off.
Switching bolts to Titanium. Cranks, Brake Calipers and Seat post clamps\ can knock a lot of weight off.

One thing to watch out for though is that sometimes carbon parts are heavier than aluminium parts so make sure you are acutally saving weight.

I live in ghost town yokohama no food, no petrol, no water..... no nothing to do with the current events I just have two kids that eat, drink and use everything.

FarEast said:
Carbon Saddle with no padding

Just do away with the seat altogether. Have a look at that South Park episode where Mr.Garrison makes his own vehicle.

FarEast said:
WHEELS,WHEELS, WHEELS!

Correct. Rotating weight has the biggest effect on bike handling, and due to all that mad science stuff, means that you feel it the most.

FarEast said:
Bearings..... pricey but replacing all your bearing to100% ceramic knocks a lot of weight off.

Yes. Did my headset the other day. Definitely felt the difference. Longer lasting too. Expensive though.

FarEast said:
Switching bolts to Titanium.

Wear safety goggles. :p

Ok hit list for cutting weight:
Intergrated Stem and bars

Switching bolts to Titanium. Cranks, Brake Calipers and Seat post clamps\ can knock a lot of weight off.

One thing to watch out for though is that sometimes carbon parts are heavier than aluminium parts so make sure you are acutally saving weight.

Not so sure about the integrated stem and bars. Most of the ones I found were heavier than a regular bar and stem set up.
Don't forget that aluminum is lighter than titanium for "non stressed" use.

Also watch out for "carbon wrapped" parts! And most full carbon stems are only a gram or two lighter on even heavier than a similar aluminum item. Ritchey for example!
My best tip for "lightening" your bike is free..... Empty half your water bottle!:)

Perhaps a better question would be "how much do you and your bike weigh?"

Or more important still, "what percentage is your bike in the sum of bike plus you?"
...[/url]

Yes, and I'll work on these Qs tomorrow.

John D.

I have got mine down to 7.5kg now.

My CAAD 9 is probably about 8.5 with pedals. I`ve seen CAAD 9`s built up that weigh around 6.5 Kg. Try this thread:

Cannondale CAAD Red 6.5kg / 14.3lbs - Whatcha think?Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54060&sid=544579962de239522e694d0f08b2a23e

But...you`ll need to switch to SRAM Red, change your dura ace crankset for a SiSL Hollogram (best, lightest and stiffest, just don`t come in 165 :() and swap the fork: unless you`ve already changed it, the Standard Ultra forks aren`t pure carbon. Anyway, today I climbed 1400+m on my 8.5Kg bike (plus tools/drinks) that still has the Shimano R500 wheel on the back (can`t be bothered changing the cassette :eek:). Weight of the bike isn`t a limiting factor and really doesn`t matter that much.

When equipped with relatively heavy cosmic carbone wheels, my two bikes weigh 8.1 / 8.9 kg:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2010/10/750-grams.html

Perhaps a better question would be "how much do you and your bike weigh?"

Or more important still, "what percentage is your bike in the sum of bike plus you?"

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

So in response to this, with my 68 kg (3 kg overweight :eek:), everything comes in at 76.5. I have to get the calculator out...so 12.5%...but to be truly accurate, need to add in drinks/tools, clothes (no mankinis here), snacks, money...

My mama-chariot weighs over 20kg (based on equivalent bike, can`t find an exact weight) and as I usually do the hill repeats to or from workplace mixed in with the commute, then my bag needs to be added in, so I`m pushing over 1/3 of my body weight...still a way to catch up with Stu though.

Back
Top Bottom