What's new

Thursday Winter Blues Taisaku Tour

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
I feel a strong need to shake out some of the winter blues so will be going for a ride on Thursday (the 11th) which is a national holiday.

I'll head to Itsukaichi, then re-run SteveT's patented route that includes Iriyama toge, Wada toge, shinohazaru tunnel and route 30 (Sergey's pass) before finishing in Uenohara. It's about 90km with 2,000 metres of climbing at a steady/back in the saddle/sub-prime pace - that is, doggedly slow up the toge's and then moderately elsewhere.

The route and profile information is here.

Will roll out from musashi itsukaichi eki at 8:30.

Weather isn't looking too good at the moment. Will have another look tomorrow night.

How about Saturday?

Thanks for this, Lee!
And thanks, SteveT, for the route.
Just a couple of questions though.
1). Do you think the toge's will be clear of snow after last weeks little sprinkling?
2). Any chance of doing this ride on Saturday, with (hopefully) a larger group?
3). Would it be possible to push the starting time back a tad - Musashi-Itsukaichi
isn't the easiest place to get to that early in the morning from eastern Tokyo - How about 9:30, with a 10:00 roll-out?

If that's possible, this could technically be "KT1, 2010".
I just hope it doesn't snow again in the next few days.
Cheers! Travis

I'd be up for either a thursday or saturday ride. The roads are not too bad - I went out on monday over Yabitsu toge and the road was clear (a fair bit of filth and snowmelt on the road though.)

I was also in the yabitsu area on Monday and apart from a few patches of ice, the roads were clear. With the warm weather yesterday I reckon the roads should be fine. I'm also keen for a Saturday ride. Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread Lee:confused:

If you guys do decide to ride Saturday, I can meet you at the junction on R76/R518 (Fujino Minami Elementary school) at whatever time you think you'll be passing through. Participating in the KT1 would be cool:D

I would think there will be plenty of new snow tomorrow and on Friday... Have fun cycling through it... I'm still waiting for my cyclocross.

Bloody cold here in Machida tonight, and I'm pretty sure anything that drops from the sky up in them thar mountains tonight is going to be snow. Heck, odds on it's going to snow here again tonight.

Hello chaps,

Weather tomorrow doesn't look too genki so will provisionally move this to Saturday, pending the weather forecast on Friday.

Lee

Lee,

Would love to join, fully confident that a "steady/back in the saddle/sub-prime pace" ride posted on the TCC message board always guarantees a wonderfully laid-back day out, pottering leisurely around the hills and enjoying the local food... but unfortunately unlikely to make Saturday. If it moves to Sunday - or you wish to do it again :D- I'm in !

PS: I'll let you in on a secret: my "patented route" actually continues North, goes through the Kobu tunnel and then back down on the other side to finish in Itsukaichi. It's just that I've, er, never actually had the energy to ever make it past Uenohara...:cry:

PS: I'll let you in on a secret: my "patented route" actually continues North, goes through the Kobu tunnel and then back down on the other side to finish in Itsukaichi. It's just that I've, er, never actually had the energy to ever make it past Uenohara...:cry:

Except for recently, when I forced you through Kobo Tunnel, up Kazahari and then to the entrance of the unfinished Matsuhime Tunnel and you had to ride back to Okutama. I'm sure that cost a lot more energy than "just" the patented route...

Well it's snowing in Tokyo now. Is it reckless to go into the mountains tomorrow given this? The weather forecasts I've seen look like rain in the morning before clearing up in the afternoon.

Except for recently, when I forced you through Kobo Tunnel, up Kazahari and then to the entrance of the unfinished Matsuhime Tunnel and you had to ride back to Okutama. I'm sure that cost a lot more energy than "just" the patented route...

By the Gods, that was real, then ?? I thought I'd dreamt it ...

Damn

Lee, yeah unfortunately it's gonna be too dangerous to ride in the mountains, esp with a predicted temp of minus 2 tomorrow in that area:confused: What does everyone else think? Could have my arm twisted.....maybe?

I was really hoping to do this one.....come on weather, give us the big thaw we are so desperately waiting for:D

Jees, looking at MOB's war wounds is a real wake up call.

However, I'm also game for Sunday. Yahoo weather says sunny in the morning and cloudy in the afternoon.

Where's oi futo?

Ah, valentines day is gonna rule me out for Sunday:eek: any good excuses I can use?

Hey Lee, thought I'd jump into the fray and post my plans for Sunday. I have to work Saturday night until about 2 a.m., so my Sunday ride will be starting a little late. I plan on doing a hammer session along the Onekan, crossing the Tamagawara Bridge to Yanokuchi at about 10:30. I'll either do an out-and-back along the Onekan, or loop up toward Takao and ride back along the rivers. Either way, the pace will be fast. If it's wet, I won't be riding, though.

Company is welcome! Jules and Clay may be joining if our schedules align.

Deej

Hey Lee, thought I'd jump into the fray and post my plans for Sunday. I have to work Saturday night until about 2 a.m., so my Sunday ride will be starting a little late. I plan on doing a hammer session along the Onekan, crossing the Tamagawara Bridge to Yanokuchi at about 10:30. I'll either do an out-and-back along the Onekan, or loop up toward Takao and ride back along the rivers. Either way, the pace will be fast. If it's wet, I won't be riding, though.

Company is welcome! Jules and Clay may be joining if our schedules align.

Deej

Deej,

I'd like to join you this time, but I still feel not fit enough for a fast-paced ride, so I will take it easy for a while with a couple of long slow rides.
That said, the place (route) and the time, which you posted, are quite good for me so we might pass each other at Tamagawa on Sunday :bike:
Will be looking forward to the next time you post an invitation :)

Deej, strange to me seeing your 'out and back' and 'loop', as they are the roads I ride the most ~ given that I live near(ish) the turning point of the out and back.

Another little 'loopish' component I often use is this river:
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/tokyo/422126597673639702

Sorry, I don't know the name, even though I have ridden it a zillion times. First time I tried making a mapmyride route, and didn't really master it. The map shows roads, but the entire route (apart from a few road crossings) is on a path on the river bank.

Just a bog-standard small river, but a nice little ride that can connect the Tamagawa with the tank road / route 47 area. (In fact I live on the tank road).

Back
Top Bottom