Thursday ride (5/24)

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
I'm planning on playing hookie this thursday and doing one of these two rides:

doshi-michi loop from takao:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/94589799/

deej's Ome loop (posted by pedal-strike last week):
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/93620993

I'll be trying to get back to central tokyo by around 5pm so I'll be aiming for an early start. i've ridden in the area of the doshi-michi route before but in the other direction. I haven't done the Ome route at all so in either case be ready for some wrong turns.

my pace will be moderate and i usually stop for water or food every hour or two. I'll also be riding fixed so i'll be stopping for rear wheel flips at the start of long climbs and descents.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I can't say about the Ome route, but the first one should be great (though I can't join you).

I greatly enjoyed climbing Doshi-michi on my last training run to Yamanaka-ko, it was beautiful. There are many fun descents coming back on R35, which I took both on last weekend's 300 km brevet ride and the last training run for it (though the final bit towards Sagamiko was different from your route).

I think it's hard to get lost on Doshi-michi, because Yamanaka-ko is pretty much always signposted. Therefore, as long as you don't miss the turn-off towards Tsuru / R24 near km 45 you'll be OK.

In Tsuru you can also take the 139 bypass through the two tunnels between km 61 and 66. That's a fine road, nothing scary. That was my brevet route too. Our final check point was at a conbini near where your km 66 is.

If you get lost on R35, the worst that will happen is that you rejoin R20 at a different distance before the climb towards Mt Takao.

The area around R35 had a bit of a time warp feeling to me, very old style. Some quite steep bits towards the end of the climb from Tsuru, but not too long overall and the descents more than compensate you for that effort.

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
in order to get back by 5pm I want to be rolling by 8am. I'm thinking about starting in kofu to get a good warm up in before odarumi. I'm also thinking about a different approach to doshi-michi as the section around the lake isn't fun.

if that's not too early let me know if you have a preference for starting station.

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
I'm also in the 90% range. As long as nothing blows up at work or i don't find a sick kid when i get home today i'll be at Takao station (not takao-san guchi) at 7:30 tomorrow. I'll be taking the keio line out so i'll be putting my bike together at the south gate.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Well, I might be up and about -- but I need to stay away from the river -- hayfever season. So generally I'll train up to the launching point, or take the inter-city route out and train back. If the weather is not bad tomorrow, I'd like to do about 100km loopish sorta ride and be back by noonish.So - call it a loopish noonish ride. Not to be confused with an oompa loopa ride.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Just came back - short ride up to Itsukaichi and back. I forgot I have biz meeting today. Hayfever was pretty fierce, too - and just coming off a head cold. So I mainly wanted to keep in moderate tempo to flush the snot out but not really go into any hard breathing.

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
sorry again for flaking out on this. Just as I was wrapping things up to take Thursday off a string of meetings came in that I couldn't bail on. i need a new job. is anyone looking to hire someone who's good at speaking english, looking foreign, and putting things off?

I'm going to try and do this tomorrow. I've already told work I'm not coming in so as long as there are no kid problems I'll be at takao station (not takao-san guchi) at 7:30am.

as this is last minute on a weekday I'm not really expecting anyone to be able to show up, so if you plan on joining let me know so i know to look for you.

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
just finished a route close to the doshi-michi loop. no real hard climbs but lots of up and down on the way out. for those that don't know route 20 west of odarumi on weekday afternoons is miserable. it's a endless stream of trucks. most is the rest of the route was really mellow, particularly just about everything between the turn from doshi-michi towards tsuru on the 24 and all of the 35 between tsuru and uenohara.

yesterday would have been the day to go. I got rained on for most of the ride and am fully covered in a thin layer of filth. also smelling fantastic for my fellow train passengers.