What's new

Ride Thursday, August 13th - Tsukuba

Heath

Maximum Pace
Dec 13, 2014
Will be hitting Tsukuba on Thursday with @Musashi13 by car.

This is the route we'll be riding...

Owing to the heat, I designed the route to hit convenience stores regularly.The climbs are mostly subtle, 6 to 8% (apart from one [around 11% straight up], and 30% of another). There are many steeper climbs in the area, but I thought it best to consider the heat factor.

I know the area well, apart from one flat section, but will have the route in my Garmin so it shouldn't be problem.

We'll be leaving from this Coco conbini (best bread ever, and highly recommended for brekky).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...0x0000000000000000:0x5ff49910c3d54a28!5m1!1e4

Have checked with them, and they're all cool with you parking there, as long as it's in the gravel truck stop area, not straight out the front of the shop.
Of course, it'd be nice if you could give them some patronage while you're there, as well.
Have always parked there and they know my face.

Alternatively, if you're coming by train, I guess Tsuchiura is the closest station. However, I've never gone there by train, so I suggest you scope it out just in case there's a closer station.

Aiming to roll out at around 7:45 a.m.

Will be the usual WATT rule, and I can't see anyone getting dropped on the flat because there's not a lot of it.

Join us, if you can.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'll join you on this one if I may!

I can return @Musashi13 helmet finally!!! Unless the traffic gets you again.

What's the best route in the car?

@benspenceley Yeah mate, cool as.

I reckon head west toward Ichikawa on the freeway, and then hook onto the Joban Freeway.
The exit is Kita Tsuchiura IC.
Only about 5Ks to the Coco Store from there.

What's Perry up to?

Just messaged perry @armmewitharmony he's nursing a niggling injury so not sure.

What time you setting off in the car? Google says eta 1hr 30 mins from my pad.

Is shoushi the famous Mihama Ku KOM crusher joining us?

@benspenceley
Mr. KOM will be in Iwate visiting a mate.
I'll set off at around 6:30 a.m.
One and a half hours sounds about right from Makuhari.

Last edited:
It's raining pretty solid here.

You lot still going?

Unbelievable!

Just started raining here.

This ride is all up and down.

Unfortunately, it'll be too dangerous descending on wet roads.

We'll have to postpone it for another day.

@benspenceley

Last edited:
Bugger it.

If it clears up later and anyone is up for an Edogawa / Tonegawa session, let me know. But yeah, let's postpone this one.

Was looking forward to that too :(

Yeah, damn shame.

We'll have to do this ride some time soon.

I'll keep an eye on the weather during the day and join you later if I can.

I am at present embroiled in a shopping trip that is turning epic. What time this evening/afternoon? I will endeavour to end this in a timely manner.

Already out riding south Edogawa area, so will definitely be there a 4:00 @TCC . @Musashi13 Give us a msg if you wanna meet and ride up together. Should take about 30~40 mins.

Had planned to do the big Edogawa-Nikko ride today with @TCC ,but as the arvo was going be rained out, we bailed on today and he did the ride solo yesterday in true hellman fashion.

With arvo rain predicted for today, I saw a window of opportunity to recon this ride (^see top) thismorning.

So, I did it, and it was good, but I finished with fresh legs.

Have decided that it needs a little tweaking, so will be including one extra climb into it, that being the non-infamous (because no-one wants a bar of it) Stravr climb segment https://www.strava.com/segments/2622326 .
17-23% for the last 1.5ks, or thereabouts.
Not a good climb for a heavy fella like me with a standard gearing ratio, but good for the elite climbers on here who'll be frothing at the chance to have a crack at it.

So stay tuned for a bump of this thread/ride around late Sept.-Oct.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCC
Back
Top Bottom