What's new

Ride Thurs. Sep 19th - Nokogiri, Tomin-no-Mori, Matsuhime

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
INFO:
Meet Time: 8:10 am
Meet Place: Musashi-Itsuka-Ichi Station (武蔵五日市駅)
Alternative Meet Time: 6:30 am
Alternative Meet Place: Outside Shinjuku Station (exact place TBD)
Distance: 120 km
Climbing: about 2700 m, mainly split into three long, testing climbs.
Level: Will be aiming to get on the 4:01 pm train from Otuski to Shinjuku at the very latest (15:19 train is better), so the riding is likely to be pretty hard.
Stops will be short and reticent, apart from lunch at the soba shop after the descent from the second climb.
The soba shop might be closed though, in which case we will probably have to wing it, so rations will be bought or brought from Musashi-Itsuka-Ichi station.
Climbs will be WATT (wait at the top), and there is easy access to bail points after each of the large climbs for anyone who wants to take a different route home.
Also, this will be my first time up Nokogiri. Has anyone ridden it recently or can say what the road condition might be like? Thanks!
Route: HERE

Last edited:
I confidently predict that there will be a lot of cr@p on the Nokogiri pass, after the storms this weekend.

I confidently predict that there will be a lot of cr@p on the Nokogiri pass, after the storms this weekend.

Thanks, I though there might be. We might just skip Nokogiri and do a bit of exploring to the north of Okutama Lake instead after descending from Tomin-no-Mori.

Hello Grant,

I will be there at 8.10. I'll be enjoying caffe at the bakery, so when you guys get set up, come over and grab me if that is ok. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Pete

I will be there at 8.10. I'll be enjoying caffe at the bakery, so when you guys get set up, come over and grab me if that is ok. Thanks in advance.

Hi Pedro. I know the place, see you there tomorrow morning. Just to let you know, the likely adjusted route will be due west from the station to go past/over Tomin-no-Mori first, trying out one or two dead end roads/climbs that start from the north side of Okutama Lake, then eating at the soba shop if open and continuing on the route as posted.

GrantT,

Thanks for organizing such a great days riding...I hope you & Utahn made your train. Let's do it again sometime.

Cheers,

Pete

You're experience in the mountains was essential to the ride so thank you! We just made the right train to get Utahn back for the party and me home in time for my errands. Would be great to ride out again.

Pedro and GrantT,

Thanks for the great ride. I had an awesome time. I anticipate returning at some point in the future to do something similar in the future. You have some really special riding here in Japan and the access by train is incomparable.

Sincerely,
Utahn

Back
Top Bottom