What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Wanted Thomson Elite 26mm Seatpost

sakura

Cruising
May 15, 2009
I've been trying to find somewhere in Japan where I can purchase a Thomson Elite Straight 26.0 diameter seatpost (mfg PN#SP-E161, homepage here) for an old titanium road frame.

I contacted Thomson directly to confirm they still make this size and the company rep said they do, but in most cases it will not be stocked by bike shops or online retailers so I would need to place an order at my local bike shop.

Just in case, I checked cycle-yoshida.com and cogs.jp with no success and wasn't able to find any more local hits beside personal blogs. I also checked Y'sRoad and Nalshima Frend and, although they can order Thomson, the 26mm size is not a catalog option. I can definitely order it from the States, but it would be great if I could find it in Japan.

BTW, I know the option exists to use a smaller size, say a 25.4mm (and thus expand my options), but I don't want to use a shim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

PK

I also tried to find a rare diameter Thomson before. 80s Keirin frame. Not even manufactured, so I got one size up and had it cnc'd down. It's an easy job with the right tool. Naito-San at "bored" on kannana-dori does it

Thanks for the suggestions!
Half-Fast Mike--Above Bike has a contact page/TEL so I'll start with them.
Gunjira--The cnc option hadn't occured to me. The next size up (26.6mm) seems to be more widely available. I guess if it doesn't take long to order and get the thing cnc'd down I might consider this! Just found his webpage (www.bored.jp) too.

PK

Just don't get The Master version, because that one has less wall strength. Also, I would recommend silver, because where cnc'd, it will change color. You could just send an email to bored (Naito-San) and ask how much it is.

Yeah, I figured stripping off a thin layer of aluminum would also remove the black anodization. Too bad. In this case, Silver would be best.

You could try Aspire Velotech. They will ship to Japan and can usually get hold of odd sized components. Or get a 25.4 or 25.0 and shim it.

AlanW, Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always happy to find new online places to shop State side!

New
I also tried to find a rare diameter Thomson before. 80s Keirin frame. Not even manufactured, so I got one size up and had it cnc'd down. It's an easy job with the right tool. Naito-San at "bored" on kannana-dori does it
[/QUOTE where along kananaa is this place pls Gunjira ?

It's near the crossing with Koshuu Kaido (rt20), but its not a bike shop, but a workshop. That's why I'd recommend getting in touch through the hp first before going there in person.

EPILOGUE
I ended up placing an order with Sugisaki-san at Above Bike's (somewhat awkwardly named) online store-- http://www.starfuckers.jp. They didn't have stock, but placed an order directly with the manufacturer. The seatpost was reasonably priced considering I didn't have to deal with international shipping and the 2-3 week wait was about what I expected. I switched the seatpost out this past weekend and it looks great!:)

Its too bad Above Bike Shop is a bit far out from where I live, otherwise I'd definitely drop by their shop in Kawasaki.

Back
Top Bottom