What's new

Thinking of getting the Garmin 25

YamanashiLiving123

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
Hi

As I continue my journey back into the cycling world, I've realized that my iPhone won't cut it for longer distances. Started my research here and online and seems Garmin is what most people use here. Without breaking the bank the Garmin 25 looks decent enough with basics including maps for the routes you have all uploaded.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 25? Don't need all the bells and whistles just access to routes to get me to you and around the roads of Japan.

Amazon product ASIN B00UBSXFTO

I use my Iphone for navigation in conjunction with the Ride With GPS app and it's very accurate, especially in the hills.
I have an extra charger that I use that is 1880 MaH and it's fine for an extra 2-3 hours of navigation time on top of your smartphone's battery life.
However, I do have my eye on the charger above.
It's fairly expensive, but has a massive storage capacity of 26800 MaH!
The downside is, it's large and would be quite weighty by the looks of it.

The other issue with a smartphone is, it's not weatherproof, so if it rains you're in trouble.

Most people use a Garmin of sorts. They're weatherproof, but there seems to be a lot of riders having navigation issues with them.

I use a Garmin, but only for ride stats, not for navigation as I wasn't happy with its performance.
Not sure about the 25, maybe someone on here will know a bit about it.

Last edited:
I'm using a Lenovo K3 Note Android phone, it has a 3000 MaH battery, and Osmand offline maps app. That gives me turn by turn voice navi and offline street maps for all of Japan.
I've used it on a few longer rides and it seems to work fine. With a few setting tweeks the battery lasts all day on voice navi with plenty to spare.
You can also get offline maps for other countries.
Best of all, the app and maps are free.
I waterproof my phone with a zip lock bag.

Actually the garmin Edge 25 (Sorry forgot to put edge) is a cycling watch just lower end with less bells and whistles. Includes GPS and maps, with turn by turn instructions.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-25/prod508489.html

Or for now I may just go with my iphone for now with a charger. But I am not a fan of the bulkiness of it. I have a set up on my commuter bike for it and in includes a rain cover so...

I am not riding for racing, only training, so really don't care about heart rate etc. I have a TomTom GPS watch for running that only measures my distance, time, cadence and calories and that suffices. So with cycling all I need is that plus the map to tell me where to go at least until I get familiar with the lay of the land.

Actually I decided to stick with my iPhone for now and bought a small yet powerful charger. Using this for mapping and I have my tomtom watch for all the other stats. Good work around now and wait a while before making any purchase garmin or otherwise.

Picked this up on Amazon for ¥2999 before price went back up.

Amazon product ASIN B011TQQ9RG

Back
Top Bottom