What's new

Theft Insurance

RayB

Speeding Up
Mar 3, 2009
Hey Guys,

I've already got commuting insurance for my commute but can't seem to find a company that will offer theft insurance. I've come into a situation where I lug my bike by car half way and cycle the rest and would like to leave my bike at my mates place but its in a bicycle parking port if you know what I mean. Or, perhaps find a bike rack I can use on the car.

Has anyone found a place that will cover for theft?

Thanks,

Has anyone found a place that will cover for theft?
The last time I investigated the answer was:

- There are too many bike thefts for insurance companies to make a profit while keeping premiums at a price cyclists will pay. They are businesses, not charities. So they don't offer bicycle theft policies.

- Some dealerships apparently offer a limited theft policy with the sale of a new bike, with the premium being a percentage of the cost of the bike. But this expires and cannot be renewed.

- Home owners who have taken out a mortgage/loan will have also taken out fire/home contents insurance as a condition of their loan. Bicycles might be covered by this.

- Some general fire/home contents insurance policies also cover theft of bicycles belonging to the household.

If anyone can add any more to this story, I'd be delighted to hear about it.

--HF Mike--

When I sorted my crash insurance I heard a similar story to Mike. No standalone theft insurance available, but your homeowner's/renter's insurance should cover it in case of theft from your residence.

In the States I got money from my parent's home insurance when my bike got stolen... unfortunately increased their premiums though so may not have been worth it in the long run.;)

thanks guys, thats pretty much what I figured. I'd try the home insurance route but I am looking for this while storing the bike while not at my residence. At the moment I'm taking the train half way in and biking the rest and was keeping my bike at a mates building. oh well.

Thanks,

At the moment I'm taking the train half way in and biking the rest and was keeping my bike at a mates building. Oh well.
Options you have probably considered:

1. Bike all the way to work. (Yes we kyaaaann!)

2. Get a bunch of really good locks. Lock everything to everything else, and then to a nearby Rottweiler.

3. Get a cheap bike that you don't mind losing so much and coat it with anti-theft paint.

--HF Mike--

If you've got hot wheels--locking skewers. Don't leave home without the key though:confused: I bought mine in the states-- you may have to buy online but really worth it IMHO

2. Get a bunch of really good locks. Lock everything to everything else, and then to a nearby Rottweiler.

LOL....

One thing I love about the Dura Ace crank is that I can pass the D-lock I have through the frame, back wheel and crank and normally something very very solid.

On my touring bike that gets locked up downtown when I go out for beer & shopping (with a new-ish brooks saddle), I swapped the quick-release on the seat post for a regular bolt thinking it would be less likely to disappear. I wondered whether the bolt or a hex/allen collar would be less thieve-able, about the same, I guess.

On my touring bike that gets locked up downtown when I go out for beer & shopping (with a new-ish brooks saddle), I swapped the quick-release on the seat post for a regular bolt thinking it would be less likely to disappear. I wondered whether the bolt or a hex/allen collar would be less thieve-able, about the same, I guess.

Haha, I tell myself the same thing, hoping that I won't come back to find my bike sans Brooks and Thomson.

A deterrent for the opportunist thief, but sadly open season for the professional.

Talking of thefts, I've noticed that the chain of bike stores that deal in used goods have all shut down, not saying they were dealing in stolen goods but for all of them to disappear within a week of each other is a bit suspicious !

LOCK COMPANY

Some Companies offer some protection if a bike is stolen while locked with their lock. There is probably a lot of fine print and red tape that makes collecting anything difficult.

Lots of bike theives like to ride away on their ill gotten goods, if you don't mind carrying a pedal wrench, take off the pedals when you lock it up outside, makes the get away a little harder. I used to ride through a not so nice area (not in Japan) and a big pedal wrench may me feel better. Speak softly and carry a big wrench!

True that a lot of the big heavy locks offer insurance BUT I seem to think the fine print didn't cover New York or anywhere outside the US on the one I bought. There is also sometimes a price cap. So read carefully and be sure to send in the warranty in the time frame!

Back
Top Bottom