What's new

The upstand

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with this product?

It looks terrific.

upstand-portable-collapsible-bicycle-kickstand.jpg

Except for the fact it is yet another piece of detritus to snaggle up in your pocket and that which could easily be supplanted by simply using your pedal against any kerb or slightly elevated object.

AKA - A kickstand in another name. Or, at best, a conductor's wand, or worst, a mad dog strking stick.

All puns aside - if you're riding a road bike, you don't need a kickstand. The only time you should be astride your bike is if you are getting refreshment at the 7-11 (kerbs abound) or the bike is set in your abode.

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

It looks terrific.

upstand-portable-collapsible-bicycle-kickstand.jpg

All puns aside - if you're riding a road bike, you don't need a kickstand.

Right, with a road bike you don't need a kickstand...

...but what if the bike doesn't understand that?

Except for the fact it is yet another piece of detritus to snaggle up in your pocket and that which could easily be supplanted by simply using your pedal against any kerb or slightly elevated object.

AKA - A kickstand in another name. Or, at best, a conductor's wand, or worst, a mad dog strking stick.

All puns aside - if you're riding a road bike, you don't need a kickstand. The only time you should be astride your bike is if you are getting refreshment at the 7-11 (kerbs abound) or the bike is set in your abode.

So, no? You have no experience just a very negative opinion of a product you have never used?

As someone who NEEDS their bike to stand up in a whole range of places without kerbs or other elevated objects this is a much better option than a traditional kickstand and could be what I am looking for.

I do understand what you are saying but if there is a genuine need for it, as a product, does it do what it states in the best possible way?

To be honest I don't really think this is a good product - slight gust of wind or a uneven surface and your bike will be down on the ground before you know it.

Also if there is no curb or wall to lean it against have you ever thought of laying the bike on the ground drive side up, never seen a bike fall off terra firma yet. Also if the bike is to be parked on a regular basis in public areas then a proper kickstand would be a much better option - that product doesn't look like it would hold the bike in place if someone knocked or bumped the bike.

Topeak has a much better, sturdier option that slots on to the crank arm offering a more stable position to hold the bike upright.

http://www.topeak.com/products/StorageAndDisplay/FlashStandSlim

That bike just tried to end the suffering of years of self loathing at having mis matched colors. Not everybike has the temperment to pull of the bike equivelent of the smelly pirate look
the-crap-we-missed-1018-24-435x580.jpg

This is not the first mis matched bike to be in an accident, Mike knows the risks, like a Pit Bull terrier owner he is prepared to stick his metaphorical finger in societys face and ride what, where and when he likes.
The road cyclist equivelent of bikie bicyclist dude
Chopper+Bicycle+(+OneofaKind2).jpg

Yes it's snowing and I can't ride my bicycle today. Gonna have to move my trainer into the study tomorrow so I have something to do besides trolling google images.

Re the upstanking dickstand, it's a bad idea for anywhere outside of a secure windproof location as any bump or strong breeze will send it falling over leeward.

Topeak crank stand more secure but still only one directional. Lay your bike gently on the ground or rest it against a solid object.

Just put a normal stand on your bike.

I saw a guy with a stand on his Pinarello Dogma once; a wonderfully gratuitous display of wealth.

If it had a matching carbon basket then it was mine :D

Haha! Funny you should say that, I was just thinking there must be a market for high-end shopping rigs.

Talk of bike stands and road bikes always reminds me of when I did the Tour de Chiba back in 2007. One of the rest stops was on the coast, with the food tents set up next to a wide grassy field. As we rolled in, each rider put his bike down on the grass next to the previous bike, and in this way, the field steadily filled with neatly arranged rows of hundreds and hundreds of bikes.

Then one guy rolled up and, instead of laying his bike down like every single other person, he smartly lowered a kickstand and left it standing upright, a proud monument to Practical Cycling, Grant Petersen-style. Unfortunately, the field, being on the coast, was somewhat windy, and I didn't have to wait long before the inevitable gust of wind happened along, and Kickstand's bike toppled slowly over, landing on top of the expensive looking carbon job next to it.

I still don't know why the guy didn't just put his darn bike on the ground in the first place.

Sidewalk by my house was littered, again, with dozens of heavy duty kickstand bikes toppled by a breeze. All things considered - if you need to stand your bike upright like for shopping or touring, a kickstand, like the Pletscher is pretty good. Otherwise it's a worthless, annoying apendage.

Back
Top Bottom