What's new

Race The Training Thread

I was finally back under 90 kg (and 200 pounds) this morning. Hopefully within the next month and a half or so, I will hit the goal of 85 kg I had initially set (but never achieved) around the time I started this thread.

I could swear I look leaner than the last time I was 87 kg (basically the best weight I have sustained to this point).
Muscle is heavier than fat. So if you have got stronger through training you may look leaner to a similar weight previously?

Andy

Seems like the rest of the family escaped the virus. Mainly thanks to the dental hygienist wife and her strict hygiene protocols.

So I could get a decent ride in each day. The first big training week of the year.

I wrote a blog here.

Cheers, Andy

Muscle is heavier than fat. So if you have got stronger through training you may look leaner to a similar weight previously?

Andy
That is what I was thinking. Also, creatine weight.

After a 115 km ride yesterday, I am close to 91 kg now. Haha.

Last edited:
The heavens opened for last weekend's CX race, meaning conditions were perfect. Awful, awful start from the front row sent me back to 15th or so, but worked my way up to 6th within sight of 3rd. Two laps to go and I dropped my chain, then with all the faffing about getting it back on fell back to 15th and that's where it ended. Love a muddy race though, so not bothered about the poor placing. Made for some great imagery as well.

Still doing the gym experiment twice a week. Narrowing down and refining the exercises over time. No body weight, core, or circuit work, just leg day every day. Barbell lunge then squat, single then double leg press machine, and hip flexion machine to finish. Progression is as you would expect for a masters athlete (slow) and the effects aren't that noticeable on the bike, but the experiment continues in hopes of positive results. In other news, spring is here. Which means riding outside is amazing again.

So it all worked out! I got the email last night that I'm cleared to give JPT a go. My first race should be the Fukuroi race at the end of March. My Canyon Aeroad arrived earlier than expected which was great timing. Low intensity week this week, so getting the new bike all dialed in before the weekend.

Based on the first weekend of the JBCF the team had some great results, which is really exciting for me. Domestiques are my favorite riders, and when I first met with the team I told them I'd be really happy having a team to work for. Can't wait to meet them and do some riding.

In addition to Ryusuke Honda, another friend Kazuki Adachi will race the JPT on your team this season. He was out in his new kit today doing long fast pulls. Both are nice guys, so I hope they will help you to settle in.

Andy

The heavens opened for last weekend's CX race, meaning conditions were perfect. Awful, awful start from the front row sent me back to 15th or so, but worked my way up to 6th within sight of 3rd. Two laps to go and I dropped my chain, then with all the faffing about getting it back on fell back to 15th and that's where it ended. Love a muddy race though, so not bothered about the poor placing. Made for some great imagery as well.

Still doing the gym experiment twice a week. Narrowing down and refining the exercises over time. No body weight, core, or circuit work, just leg day every day. Barbell lunge then squat, single then double leg press machine, and hip flexion machine to finish. Progression is as you would expect for a masters athlete (slow) and the effects aren't that noticeable on the bike, but the experiment continues in hopes of positive results. In other news, spring is here. Which means riding outside is amazing again.

Sounds good. But don't neglect your core. If you are progressively increasing the weights with squats, you may experience lower back pain (in my case anyway) if you don't do some back extensions or planks. These are in front of the TV exercises so are easy to add to a routine.

Andy

A big week of training for me, 800km with some Tokyo-Itoigawa pacing work thrown in.

After a winter of old school training: weights, rollers raising to LTHR, and cross training,

I am keeping the theme going with a big chunk of engine building base miles.

I wrote a blog here. Check it out.

Cheers, Andy

Muscle is denser than fat, not heavier. A kilogram of muscle will weight the same as a kilogram of fat... ;)

Yes, for sure. That's why you can look leaner if you drop some weight (fat) and gain some muscle for a similar overall weight.

Andy

Sounds good. But don't neglect your core. If you are progressively increasing the weights with squats, you may experience lower back pain (in my case anyway) if you don't do some back extensions or planks. These are in front of the TV exercises so are easy to add to a routine.

Andy

When I got rid of my TV years ago, if only I'd know that one day I'd need it for core exercises...
If you say so, Andy!

Yes, for sure. That's why you can look leaner if you drop some weight (fat) and gain some muscle for a similar overall weight.

Andy
I have heard this phrased as "weighing better" instead of "weighing less."

Did a 3,200 kj chaingang yesterday. Fun times. It had to have been the hardest ride of that length I've ever done.
By the last 10 km, I couldn't do sustain more than 185 watts...

Last edited:
When I got rid of my TV years ago, if only I'd know that one day I'd need it for core exercises...
If you say so, Andy!
Yeah, our 20 year old google box draws lots of attention when the boys' mates come over to play. It gets turned on bianually for the Olympics and World Cup!

For your core work get on YouTube for the best 3!

Andy

@baribari
Great job, sounds like you had a fun ride!

I have been sick since last Thursday-ish. I tried getting on the trainer on Friday morning after too little and bad sleep, but had to call it a day after one hour (of an hour-and-a-half). Felt funny. Spent 3/4 of Saturday in bed. Now I am better, but I still can't train. I hate being sick.

@baribari
Great job, sounds like you had a fun ride!

I have been sick since last Thursday-ish. I tried getting on the trainer on Friday morning after too little and bad sleep, but had to call it a day after one hour (of an hour-and-a-half). Felt funny. Spent 3/4 of Saturday in bed. Now I am better, but I still can't train. I hate being sick.
the residual fatigue from a 300 TSS ride has been.... significant.

In addition to Ryusuke Honda, another friend Kazuki Adachi will race the JPT on your team this season. He was out in his new kit today doing long fast pulls. Both are nice guys, so I hope they will help you to settle in.

Andy

Cool! I was added to the official Line group, so that has been a lot of fun. I'm still waiting on my jersey to arrive before taking a photo to send over for my social media profile haha. Thankfully one member lives in Kanazawa, so maybe I'll do some carpooling with him. We still haven't ridden together, but I saw him out on the roads when my wife and I were headed to Fukui. He was probably a bit confused by what I was doing.

I'm the packmule, and carry all our luggage. Thankfully the weather was nice so I didn't have to carry too much bulky stuff. It helps a lot with making our efforts, especially on the climbs, more even so I don't mind. Although... I think this probably violates my frame's warranty.

20230311_050927356_iOS.jpg

My training has been very consistent and going well, the arrival of Spring has helped a lot. Here's a snapshot of my build phase. The week of the 27th was an experimental rest week, so we'll see how that goes. Really low volume and TSS Monday - Friday, but I might have been a little too excited that weekend and bounced back into training with a 5.5 hour ride at 3.3w/kg, I was trying to find my Z2 time limit (at least now I know it's over 5.5 hours).

BuildPhase.png

I had a nice dinner last night with some of the Balba guys and a couple coaches that live in Japan, great to finally be getting more involved with the cycling community here. Can't wait to get into racing.

@baribari
Being sick is the worst, hope you'll be back to riding soon

Cool! I was added to the official Line group, so that has been a lot of fun. I'm still waiting on my jersey to arrive before taking a photo to send over for my social media profile haha. Thankfully one member lives in Kanazawa, so maybe I'll do some carpooling with him. We still haven't ridden together, but I saw him out on the roads when my wife and I were headed to Fukui. He was probably a bit confused by what I was doing.

I'm the packmule, and carry all our luggage. Thankfully the weather was nice so I didn't have to carry too much bulky stuff. It helps a lot with making our efforts, especially on the climbs, more even so I don't mind. Although... I think this probably violates my frame's warranty.

View attachment 37611

My training has been very consistent and going well, the arrival of Spring has helped a lot. Here's a snapshot of my build phase. The week of the 27th was an experimental rest week, so we'll see how that goes. Really low volume and TSS Monday - Friday, but I might have been a little too excited that weekend and bounced back into training with a 5.5 hour ride at 3.3w/kg, I was trying to find my Z2 time limit (at least now I know it's over 5.5 hours).

View attachment 37612

I had a nice dinner last night with some of the Balba guys and a couple coaches that live in Japan, great to finally be getting more involved with the cycling community here. Can't wait to get into racing.
you've officially been mentioned in the Igname twittersphere... hehehe

you've officially been mentioned in the Igname twittersphere... hehehe

Uh oh, haha. I am on their Instagram now, just not in the official jersey. I didn't know they wanted a picture sooner than later, whoops. One of my Rapha jerseys is at least kind of the same color? My friends back home are very proud, it'll be funny to have all this introduction and then get shelled in the first race.

Being sick is the worst, hope you'll be back to riding soon
Thanks. It really sucks, especially since last weekend we had spectacular riding weather. But I know from experience that no matter how much I stress or want to be riding-ready sooner, it'll take as long as it takes.

Slept super well yesterday, but spent 4 hours talking, and I got quite hoarse. This morning, my voice is MIA. Has been years since I couldn't speak properly. Looks like I'll have to take another week off. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom