What's new

Race The Training Thread

What kind of weights + exercises do people do for training?
If you do one exercise: squats
Two exercises: squats and bench press(or push ups if at home and no weights)
If three: Add crunches and back extensions for core strength.

I would say a routine incorporating lower body, upper body and core is key. With emphasis on the legs.

Anything is better than nothing!

Andy

Got the road bike out today as planned.

New gatorskin tubulars are the best at this time of year.

I practiced pacing for May's Tokyo-Itoigawa. 34 or 35 kph is necessary.

Screenshot_20230227-173412_Strava.jpg

The actual event is 290km / 2,500m. So I need to build to that.

The important thing is to get used to pacing the effort. 10 years ago that would be 150HR average and 170HR on the climbs.

These days 140HR av and 160HR on the climbs is a good yardstick.

Screenshot_20230227-214723_Strava.jpg
Lots of sun on the forecast from here on in.

20230227_154505.jpg

However. my son tested positive today. So a week of social isolation.

This week may become a rest week or if I can avoid the virus, a pro life solo riding week!

I'll make the most of either scenario!

Andy

• Sad
Reactions: jdd
What kind of weights + exercises do people do for training?

If you do one exercise: squats
Two exercises: squats and bench press(or push ups if at home and no weights)
If three: Add crunches and back extensions for core strength.

I would say a routine incorporating lower body, upper body and core is key. With emphasis on the legs.

Anything is better than nothing!

Andy
Four: Rows

These four pretty much have you ready for cycling.

Also, split squats are also a great addition to a cycling strength program.
Twists are also a good idea.

@andywood
Given your fitness, isn't your average heart rate a little high given the average power you put out? Not meant as a ding, but that could point to your body being busy battling an infection …

@andywood
Given your fitness, isn't your average heart rate a little high given the average power you put out? Not meant as a ding, but that could point to your body being busy battling an infection …
No power meter on the bike, so that's just Strava's guesstimate. Heart rate felt right and was responsive after two days off. Antigen test was negative just now but it may just be a matter of time...

Andy

No power meter on the bike, so that's just Strava's guesstimate.
In my experience, Strava's average power numbers are alright as a ballpark estimate.

Still, if you felt good and you have verified you are Covid-negative, then I guess things are alright. I use power, heart rate and RPE to judge how things are going, if I have thumbs up in two out of the three, I usually continue and don't let myself stop by e. g. a higher-than-usual heart rate.

In my experience, Strava's average power numbers are alright as a ballpark estimate.

Still, if you felt good and you have verified you are Covid-negative, then I guess things are alright. I use power, heart rate and RPE to judge how things are going, if I have thumbs up in two out of the three, I usually continue and don't let myself stop by e. g. a higher-than-usual heart rate.
Yes, it's all about knowing yourself.

Yesterday's numbers are similar to the last time I did the event in terms of speed and power estimate.

Screenshot_20230228-110221_Strava.jpg

The heart rate is similar too with just a pipe opener at the beginning, and then 3 zone 3 efforts on the 3 big climbs.

Screenshot_20230228-110255_Strava.jpg
Andy

In terms of power estimate, Strava does indeed seem to be a pretty good estimate. These are actual power numbers from 2015 and 2016 which are similar to yesterday's and 2017's estimates.

Andy

Screenshot_20230228-111411_Strava.jpgScreenshot_20230228-111719_Strava.jpgScreenshot_20230228-111443_Strava.jpgScreenshot_20230228-111524_Strava.jpg

If you are doing squats, I would recommend doing squats with just body weight first.

When you start strength training the first 2 or 3 sessions should leave tenderness. But after that, you shouldn't feel adverse pain after a workout. Routine is key. If you do strength training sporadically, then you will feel pain.

Just a good routine of no weight squats will help your cycling.

If you want to see power gains, then gradually increasing the weight will be beneficial.

Just my 100 yen!

Andy

barbell squats often leave me with low back pain for a few days. since i dont have a spotter or someone to help me correct my form, i prefer to just change it for another exercise.
a few years ago, i was part of a study performing leg presses and saw good results. so im back with leg presses. besides, im doing bulgarian split squats (but increasing the weight reeeeally slowly, focusing on form)

So it all worked out! I got the email last night that I'm cleared to give JPT a go. My first race should be the Fukuroi race at the end of March. My Canyon Aeroad arrived earlier than expected which was great timing. Low intensity week this week, so getting the new bike all dialed in before the weekend.

Based on the first weekend of the JBCF the team had some great results, which is really exciting for me. Domestiques are my favorite riders, and when I first met with the team I told them I'd be really happy having a team to work for. Can't wait to meet them and do some riding.

@Tsuga
Congrats. Sounds like you joined the right team! Looking forward to picking out your colors on the live YouTube broadcast.

Last CX race of the season on Sunday. Just a local race so, in theory, a chance at the podium. Finished 6th last year against mostly the same motley crew, including a guy on Tsuga's new team, but a front row start this year might give me a fighting chance at something better.

barbell squats often leave me with low back pain for a few days. since i dont have a spotter or someone to help me correct my form, i prefer to just change it for another exercise.
a few years ago, i was part of a study performing leg presses and saw good results. so im back with leg presses. besides, im doing bulgarian split squats (but increasing the weight reeeeally slowly, focusing on form)
Leg presses are good but squats bring the core into play too. Do you use a weight belt? Personally I wouldn't do weight bearing squats, lunges etc. without one.

I think Bulgarian Squats, or one leg squats with the resting leg on a chair are great exercises for cycling. Keep at it!

Andy

I did 3 days of Tokyo-Itoigawa training so far this week. The speed gradually increasing for similar efforts.

Screenshot_20230301-220524_Strava.jpg

Monday 77km, 33.9kph, 136/158HR

Tuesday 65km, 34.3kph, 137/162HR

Wednesday 72km, 34.6kph, 138/162HR

This kind of riding used to be my staple. But after 2 years focusing on TT (15 mins full gas) and then 2 years gravel riding and cyclocross (30 to 60 mins full gas with accelerations!), I need to remind (rebuild?) the engine how to do it.

Today was the only rainy day on the forecast so I did the weekly strength work. Unable to go to the gym, I dug out the dumbells.

20230302_145711.jpg

*lunge 40kg barbells x 12 x 10
*core circuit
crunches x 1 min, plank x 1 min, leg raise x 1min, back ext 1 min, x 3 sets (10s RI)
*chest press 25kg dumbells x 12 x 3
*upper circuit
shoulder press dumbells 20kg x 10, biceps curl dumbells 20kg x 10, row dumbells 20kg x 10, x 3 sets (10s RI)

A decent workout with limited equipment.

Andy

Last edited:
I was finally back under 90 kg (and 200 pounds) this morning. Hopefully within the next month and a half or so, I will hit the goal of 85 kg I had initially set (but never achieved) around the time I started this thread.

I could swear I look leaner than the last time I was 87 kg (basically the best weight I have sustained to this point).

Back
Top Bottom