What's new

Race The Training Thread

It's just ability to work from home and changing jobs in May. Until May I was doing around 6 hours per week and sometimes stretching it to 9 and just like you most of it on trainer. I find it hard mentally and physically to do more than 1 hour on trainer anything above 1.5 hours is very challenging on my backend, sometimes I might push it to 2hours. I've no idea how others can do zwift rides for more than 2 hours.

I've ordered new shoes for Christmas, since currently my toes are suffering on rides longer than 80-100km, I did one 150km ride, but I'm not repeating that any time soon.

My goal for next year is to maintain my current fitness for the next 3 months (baby is due any time soon). After that crack 4W/kg, currently I'm seating at 3.7W/kg.
Two hours of Z2 is mind-numbingly boring, for sure. Arguably, two hours of intervals with plenty of recovery is easier.
I recently bought the softer version of my ISM saddle for my indoor bike, and it increased my comfort measurably.
Try using some chamois cream when riding indoors. Hour per hour, it's more important than when riding outside.

Fit issues are usually exacerbated when on the trainer. I pushed my limit to 3 hours, but I am not looking forward to anything beyond 2 hours on a trainer, especially if it is only Z2. If you are sure that the fit is correct, have a look at the bib shorts and that you pulled up your chamois to the right place.

Yeah, an hour a day if I am not riding anywhere hilly. I never chased a particularly mileage, but I really need to ride more if I want to achieve my goals. I only did 6,700 km or so, and 10,000 is a nice round number. I'd like to climb 100,000 meters while I am at it, which is about the same increase as my mileage goal.

I have rarely regretted getting on the bike, but the call of the covers is so strong that I have only rode twice before work in the last 10 years, not including commutes.

For reference, anyone reading this thread should understand that Andy rides as much as, if not more than, a lot of professionals. Haha.

For sure! If I was a pro I'd train less, race every week and spend the days in-between chillaxin!

Andy

Two hours of Z2 is mind-numbingly boring, for sure. Arguably, two hours of intervals with plenty of recovery is easier.
I recently bought the softer version of my ISM saddle for my indoor bike, and it increased my comfort measurably.
Try using some chamois cream when riding indoors. Hour per hour, it's more important than when riding outside.

If you are stuck with a 90 minute or 2h block indoors, doing some strength work might be something to consider? Jump off the bike in the middle of the ride, some weightless squats, push ups, core exercises, then jump back on the bike? That would give the bum a rest too!

Andy

Fit issues are usually exacerbated when on the trainer. I pushed my limit to 3 hours, but I am not looking forward to anything beyond 2 hours on a trainer, especially if it is only Z2. If you are sure that the fit is correct, have a look at the bib shorts and that you pulled up your chamois to the right place.

Good shorts are good for indoor training. I have some old Assos, thanks @jdd ! Which make a huge difference. The rear windows are translucent and long gone but the pads are like a comfy old sofa. And if you are sweating heavily like me, don't be ashamed to drop your drawers and change shorts mid ride!

Andy

Recently I've been doing my intervals in a tent. I really notice the temperature going up and the oxygen levels depleting! A summer altitude training camp at sea level in winter!

I got into a good routine last week.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「new year's blog」

Happy New Year!

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

I really got into a good routine over the winter holidays
☆strength work at the gym
☆endurance and strength work on snow shoes
☆intervals in the oxygen tent!
冬休みに本当に良いルーチンに入りました
☆ジムで筋トレ
☆スノーシューの持久力と筋力のトレーニング
☆酸素テントのインターバル!

Monday: snowshoes 2h, football 2h
Tuesday: gym no.2 1h, intervals 1h
Wednesday: snow shoes 4.5h
Thursday: gym no.3 1h, intervals 1h
Friday: snow shoes 2h, intervals 1h
Saturday: snow shoes 2h, intervals 1h
Sunday: gym no.4 1h

kakuda CX tomorrow
here we go!
明日は角田のシクロクロス
がんばります!

#bikesbeachbergs #ridejapan
#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc #hakubagravelfest

If you are stuck with a 90 minute or 2h block indoors, doing some strength work might be something to consider? Jump off the bike in the middle of the ride, some weightless squats, push ups, core exercises, then jump back on the bike? That would give the bum a rest too!

Andy
I usually get off a few times over the course of any ride over an hour to refill my bottle, piss out the window into the snow (don't tell my wife), or crack the door to let in some fresh air.

Since I use a kerosene heater to heat my torture chamber, the air gets exceedingly dry, which destroys my throat and leads to getting colds and losing training time. To solve that, I recently installed a humidifier that's probably overkill for my purposes and started gargling (a lot) while riding. By the time I finish, the glass doors are covered in condensation.

I am considering getting an CO2 monitor to track the air quality when using kerosene heaters.

I usually get off a few times over the course of any ride over an hour to refill my bottle, piss out the window into the snow (don't tell my wife), or crack the door to let in some fresh air.

Since I use a kerosene heater to heat my torture chamber, the air gets exceedingly dry, which destroys my throat and leads to getting colds and losing training time. To solve that, I recently installed a humidifier that's probably overkill for my purposes and started gargling (a lot) while riding. By the time I finish, the glass doors are covered in condensation.

I am considering getting an CO2 monitor to track the air quality when using kerosene heaters.

I train outdoors in a vinyl tent! No fan. No heater. Start out in a fleece and gloves for the warm up. But strip off to just bibs for the main set. It's too warm if anything and humidity is like a mist sauna. Best 8,000 yen I ever spent!

Andy

FB_IMG_1641127658359.jpg

What is that, a motorcycle storage tent?
I train in an uninsulated 8 or 10-jo room in the basement, but without a heater my feet would go numb, even with shoe covers. The Kickr also needs to be warm to be accurate. I still use a fan to keep cool.

What is that, a motorcycle storage tent?
I train in an uninsulated 8 or 10-jo room in the basement, but without a heater my feet would go numb, even with shoe covers. The Kickr also needs to be warm to be accurate. I still use a fan to keep cool.

It's a greenhouse! I might try to grow bananas in it in the summer! Seriously, a guy does it here and sells them at extortionate prices.

We moved house recently and there is a waiting list on sheds so I thought I'd try this. It's surviving the notorious Niigata wind so far. Even if it does get damaged, the cover is replacable so it may be a longterm option (I only ride the trainer 2 or 3 months a year).

I bought it at Musashi. This is pretty much identical but actually more expensive on Amazon.

Takasho GRH-N06T Vinyl Greenhouse, Extra Large Amazon product ASIN B009HIA1PU
Even indoors, if you want to experiment with oxygen deficiency stress I'd recommend it!

I also bought 6 pairs of thermal socks at Musashi at about 300 yen a pair. They seem to perform as well as my expensive wool hiking socks. Maybe a solution to your numb toes?

Andy

Suffering with a bit of back pain this week, I wonder if it's another broken rib!? Still got a good solid week of training in. Mixing four types of training which are the essential pieces to good winter training.

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「strength, intervals, snowshoes, cyclocross」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

trying to keep the winter routine going
☆intervals in the oxygen tent!
☆endurance and strength work on snow shoes
☆cyclocross
冬のルーチンを続けようとしていますキープしています
☆ジムで筋トレ
☆酸素テントのインターバル!
☆スノーシューの持久力と筋力のトレーニング
☆シクロクロス

Monday: kakuda CX 2h
Tuesday: gym no.4 1h, intervals 1h
Wednesday: intervals 1h, massage 40mins
Thursday: gym no.6 1h, intervals 1h
Friday: kakuda CX 2h,
Saturday: snow shoes 3h, intervals 1h
Sunday: intervals 1h, gym no.7 1h

at the gym, the workouts get harder and harder
in the tent, the intervals are different each time
on the snow, and at the trail, it's all about fun!
ジムでは、トレーニングはどんどん重くなります
テントの中では、インターバルは毎回違う
雪の上では、トレールでは、エンジョイをしましょう!

keep on keeping on
がんばりましょう!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc #hakubagravelfest

Ugh, I'm still sick, so I will tack on another week. It is always frustrating to lose so much fitness, it is my biggest weakness in training, I think. Comes with the territory of having children, I guess.

On the plus side, I should receive my new-used mountain bike and the power meter next week. Can't wait to ride it.

I met your man on the trail today and he said he sent the MTB yesterday. He also mentioned that you were serious and even bought a MTB power meter. After that our talk, after running some of the beach section, turned to talk of Baywatch, Knight Rider, The A Team and Airwolf...

Andy

Yes, everything is going smoothly. He's such a nice guy, very conscientious and clearly someone who loves his bikes.

I was very lucky with the power meter. I am very active on the TrainerRoad forum, and another member suggested I order one from an online shop in the US. They claimed they shipped internationally at the top, but it turns out, international shipping was limited to, well, Canada. That's it. So he offered to have it sent to him and he'd send it to me. And I offered to pay him back in coffee or beer. So I sent some nice coffee his way. It was such a nice experience and a welcome reprieve from the hardship of 2021. The power meter arrived at customs yesterday, so I might receive it with the bike.

Yes, everything is going smoothly. He's such a nice guy, very conscientious and clearly someone who loves his bikes.

I was very lucky with the power meter. I am very active on the TrainerRoad forum, and another member suggested I order one from an online shop in the US. They claimed they shipped internationally at the top, but it turns out, international shipping was limited to, well, Canada. That's it. So he offered to have it sent to him and he'd send it to me. And I offered to pay him back in coffee or beer. So I sent some nice coffee his way. It was such a nice experience and a welcome reprieve from the hardship of 2021. The power meter arrived at customs yesterday, so I might receive it with the bike.

Nice guy for sure. Here we are 10 years ago at the Uchinada TTT 2011 before skinsuits were all the rage!

Andy

FB_IMG_1641816438809.jpg

I prepped the new mountain bike for this morning's commute. I noticed that the brakes were the wrong way around. Then I remembered that Avid brakes — unlike Shimano brakes — are fully symmetric. Which means I can simply take the levers off the bar, and put them on the opposite sides. Worked like a charm. If this had the XTR brakes that the last owner originally put on the bike, I would have had to go to a shop. Nice!

Today I did the first workout in a while that required me to break down the effort into chunks of 10, 15, 30, and 60 seconds.
I am losing weight, but the low carb intake is doing a number on my power. Oh well, I don't need power in the winter, anyway...

I did stage 2 of the tour of zwift today.

I didn't check the parcours but it materialized to be a punchy lead in with Norikura at the end!

Once I realized the task infront of me, I locked on to what turned out to be a 45min TT.

I know it's not real, but it brought back so many memories of when I used to do the big hillclimbs. Even the pain in the butt was the same!

Happy with 3rd out of 160 starters. I wonder what stage 3 will bring.

Race report and virtual photos here.

Cheers, Andy

Another week of training done.

Covid is the worst it has been in Niigata. Kids had a cold so I kept them at home as a precaution and became a Zwifter!

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「in danger of becoming a gamer!」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

off school with the kids last week
zwift became the main
I got addicted to the tour de zwift!
☆zwift intervals in the oxygen tent!
☆zwift racing
☆cyclocross
先週子供たちと一緒に学校を休んで
zwiftがメインになりました
tour de zwiftに夢中になってしまいました!
☆ジムで筋トレ
☆酸素テントのインターバル!
☆zwift racing
☆シクロクロス

☆Monday: kakuda CX 2h
☆Tuesday: road 25km, gym no.8 1h, zwift intervals 1h
☆Wednesday: zwift intervals 1h, zwift race 15mins, zwift tempo 30mins
☆Thursday: zwift race 30mins, gym no.9 1h
☆Friday: zwift race 1h, zwift tempo 45mins
☆Saturday: zwift race 1h
☆Sunday: kakuda CX race 1h, gym no.10 1h

another week of snow on the forecast next week
来週も雪マークですね

keep on keeping on
がんばりましょう!

#ajocc #hakubagravelfest

Back
Top Bottom