What's new

Race The Training Thread

I might send you a private video once I can edit on a power overlay.

I did 310 ish for 21 minutes or so and then 296 or so for 22 minutes or so. I got 2nd out of five in my class (BMI 26+) but lost by about four minutes in total and only got 2nd by three seconds…. I flogged my self proper for the first run, but my legs were fried and I popped in the last kilo or so in the second.

My throat is wrecked, hahaha.

My Garnin bumped my FTP up to 294.
Also, I ways also NOT looking forward to the second run...
If I had done the "heavyweight" class (90.7 kg+) instead of the BMI class, I still would have placed second, by a smaller margin, although only out of four riders.

Congrats on the race outcomes. Getting close to 300 W FTP is a nice achievement.

And no need to diminish your achievements, many sports have age/weight brackets for a reason. You don't need to conform to some stereotype to be an athlete.

Thanks. To have beaten the guy in first I would have needed to lose 10 kg and gain 20 watts. He was right at ~4.0 versus my ~3.4.
I think he was probably quite a bit younger than me, though. I wouldn't have been in the same class if I was 10 kg lighter, though. Haha.

Also, I ways also NOT looking forward to the second run...
If I had done the "heavyweight" class (90.7 kg+) instead of the BMI class, I still would have placed second, by a smaller margin, although only out of four riders.

How was your performance in the 2nd heat compared to the 1st?

Back in the day, the JBCF Tsugaike Hillclimb was a mass start in the morning in each category.

The fastest 100 overall, regardless of category, rode a solo TT up the same climb in the afternoon. A chance to race the pros.

I could always go well in the first heat. Best around 25th overall, paced with a first generation Polar chain based power meter, but I'd never break top 90 in the 2nd heat. Onsen, nap, massage, nothing seemed to work!

Andy

After what seems like weeks of endless sunshine, we got some rain last week. Today the temperature dropped from 25 to 10!

Will be resubscribing to Zwift soon...

The weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「making training count」

more running, intervals, hiking and cyclocross last week
先週もランニング、インターバル、ハイキング、シクロクロスをロックオンしました

less free time as I have to look after a new teacher
and we prepare to move into a new home
新しい先生の面倒を見ること
新しい家に引っ越す準備をすること
いつもよりトレーニングタイムがない

but a run takes 30 minutes
intervals take 60
both do damage
so 2 rest days aren't wasted
でも、ランなら30分があれば大丈夫
インターバルなら60分があれば大丈夫
両方ともダメージがあるから
2日の休みがあれば大丈夫

☆Monday: intervals & run
☆Tuesday: rest
☆Wednesday: intervals & run
☆Thursday: rest
☆Friday: mt. yoneyama bike & hike
☆Saturday: mt. hachikoku bike & hike
☆Sunday: cyclocross race pace

I put CX tyres on for today's CX training
next sunday's rai rai cup will be a good test
ready for iiyama CX the following week
今日のCXトレーニングのためにCXタイヤをセットしました
来週のライライカップはレースペースで走って
再来週の飯山CXのタイミングで調子が出ると良い

2 weeks to race day!
レースまで2週間!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

How was your performance in the 2nd heat compared to the 1st?

Back in the day, the JBCF Tsugaike Hillclimb was a mass start in the morning in each category.

The fastest 100 overall, regardless of category, rode a solo TT up the same climb in the afternoon. A chance to race the pros.

I could always go well in the first heat. Best around 25th overall, paced with a first generation Polar chain based power meter, but I'd never break top 90 in the 2nd heat. Onsen, nap, massage, nothing seemed to work!

Andy
About 15 watts lower. My legs hurt too much to push as hard. Every ride since then, my Garmin keeps trying to edge my FTP downwards... Fortunately I was fast enough in the first heat to juuuuust barely get 2nd of five... And would have had the exact same result in the Heavy class, albeit with a slightly larger safety margin. I had originally hoped I'd drop enough weigh to go DOWN a class.

@baribari
How was the atmosphere of the event? It seems that hill climb TTs are by far the most fun events.

I have had a good first week of training. I opted for a polarized TR plan to try them out. The emphasis on endurance is just what this doctor has ordered. And I lost less ponies than expected (342 W —> 328 W after 3 weeks of no training and just a few rides).

@baribari
How was the atmosphere of the event? It seems that hill climb TTs are by far the most fun events.

I have had a good first week of training. I opted for a polarized TR plan to try them out. The emphasis on endurance is just what this doctor has ordered. And I lost less ponies than expected (342 W —> 328 W after 3 weeks of no training and just a few rides).
Lots of fun. Hill climbs are the least serious road event. I think off road events are probably even more load back...

Lots of fun. Hill climbs are the least serious road event. I think off road events are probably even more load back...
I also like that they are the events with the lowest risk. Drafting is of much less use and it is mostly about pacing yourself. I really wish I could have done a hill climb this season … just wasn't in it Covid-, stress- and financial-wise.

Offroad events, especially if based on segments, are definitely the most relaxed.

The whirring of rollers, the psssssss of tyres and the smell of embrocation replaced by the smell of toast and coffee, and the sound of stress free chatting.

I like hillclimbs but in recent years, lining your bikes up 1h before a start to secure a good position is as annoying as towels on sun loungers at night in Benidorm!

But yeah, being able to ride while socializing and contesting segments, before regrouping, is an attractive format for me these days...

Andy

Another week of training done. The training at this time of year is vastly different to the spring and summer. Intervals, running, CX and hiking to maintain stamina and add balanced strength work. Still not as sharp as I want to be, but getting there...

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy.

「race face」

more running, intervals, hiking and cyclocross last week
it's deja vu!
still routine is one of the most important components of good training
先週はランニング、インターバル、ハイキング、シクロクロス···
デジャヴだ~!
でも良いトレーニングの必要なことの1つはルーチンです

again not much volume
but I have a big base
specificity is important
またボリュームはぜんぜんないけど
大きなベースが作ってあるを信じて
特異性がメインになります

☆Monday: run + road, ishikawa pass x 5, intervals & SFR
☆Tuesday: road, mt. ogami
☆Wednesday: run
☆Thursday: rollers intervals
☆Friday: mt. kurohime and mt. hachikoku bike & hike
☆Saturday: rollers recovery
☆Sunday: cyclocross race pace

the rai rai cup today
3 laps of the super long course
今日のライライカップでした
スーパーロングコースx3周

☆lap 1 17:03
☆lap 2 17:19
☆lap 3 18:11

good pace on the first lap despite clipping out 3 times
I can't stay in the zone though
and consequently can't keep the pace either
3回クリップアウトしても1周目は良いペース
そのあとゾーンから落ちて
ペースも落ちる

next week will be a 30 minute effort
I need to be fresher
physically and mentally
来週は30分の勝負です
もっと良いコンディションを出したいです
フィジカルとメンタルも!

time to find my race face!
1 week to race day!
レースフェイスを見つける時間です!
レース当日まで1週間!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

Forgot to write a training blog last week.

So this is 2 weeks training. 2 weeks should never be the same. These last two weeks were a taper for a race, and then back at it. I actually raced yesterday too. But it was an MTB downhill so little actual pedaling involved!

Cheers, Andy

「2 weeks, 2 races!」

2 weeks since I wrote a training
blog
week 1 was a good taper for iiyama CX
rest and CX skills
トレーニングブログを書いてから2週間
変な日本語すみません!
1週目はiiyamaCXにとって良いテーパーをしました
レストとCXスキルがメイン

week 2 was back to a hard week of training
HIIT intervals, SFR intervals, running, CX, hiking
2週目はまたハードトレーニングに戻りました
HIITインターバル、SFRインターバル、ランニング、CX、ハイキング

WEEK 1
☆Monday: CX skills, run
☆Tuesday: rest
☆Wednesday: rest
☆Thursday: CX skills
☆Friday: race pipe openers
☆Saturday: CX skills
☆Sunday: iiyama cyclocross race

WEEK 2
☆Monday: ishikawa pass x 5, HIIT intervals & SFR intervals
☆Tuesday: trail run, SFR intervals
☆Wednesday: CX kakuda trail
☆Thursday: run, SFR intervals
☆Friday: mt. yoneyama bike & hike
☆Saturday: rest
☆Sunday: MTB downhill race

tomorrow the weather changes
and we start to move house
2 weeks to the next CX race
I need to use my time efficiently
here we go!
明日から天気が変わります
そして明日から家の引っ越しがはじめる
次のCXレースまで2週間
上手く時間を使って
がんばります!

#ajocc

Very minimal training last week. But I'm a firm believer that fitness is only lost after say a week of no training. So two or three sessions of short but high intensity training can maintain your fitness.

Cheers, Andy

「getting ready to race」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

I only did 2 training sessions last week on monday and wednesday
先週のトレーニングは月曜日と水曜日のみ
2回だけのトレーニングセッションでした

4 days off the bike moving house
carrying boxes and drinking beer
the tiredness is like an international long haul flight!
家の引っ越しのために
自転車は4日間ノートレでした
箱を運び、ビールを飲んで
疲れは国際的な長距離飛行のようなものでした!

I decided not to do any bike training for these 4 days
focusing on sleep between house moving shifts
4日間は自転車のトレーニングをしないことにしました
家の引っ越しのシフトの間に
スリープをたっぷりにしました

Monday: HIIT & SFR intervals
Tuesday: off, rollers
Wednesday: HIIT & SFR intervals
Thursday: off, commute
Friday: off, house moving
Saturday: off, house moving
Sunday: off, house moving

fitness isn't lost in a few days
quite the opposite
it's important to believe in this
フィットネスは数日に落ちることがない
まったく逆です
信じるのはポイント

back on the bike again today
an extra 30 to 50W in the legs
and HR knocking on threshold's door
今日は久しぶりにライドオン
脚に30〜50Wアップ
そして心拍数は上がりやすい

maebashi CX race on sunday
日曜日は前橋CXレースです

I think 2 or 3 interval sessions at the beginning of this week
then more rest
and I should be ready to race...
今週の前半に2、3回のインターバルセッションをして
後半はまた休んで
レースのタイミングにフォームがでるように

here we go!
がんばります!
#ajocc

I've started training for the next season. So far, it has been going well, at the beginning of the block I tested at 328 W, but lowered my FTP to 320 W. Now I tested at 329 W and feel like I could have gone a bit harder.

Apart from weight, I feel great. I can't seem to break homeostasis.

The only question mark for next season is how my newborn will influence my training schedule. And my 3-year-old who threw a fit at 3 am.

I've started training for the next season. So far, it has been going well, at the beginning of the block I tested at 328 W, but lowered my FTP to 320 W. Now I tested at 329 W and feel like I could have gone a bit harder.

Apart from weight, I feel great. I can't seem to break homeostasis.

The only question mark for next season is how my newborn will influence my training schedule. And my 3-year-old who threw a fit at 3 am.

In the winter, if you aren't racing, I would always ignore weight gain.

Work on building strength with weight training and try to translate this to power on the trainer.

Then drop the weight in spring.

Balancing this with young kids is a challenge I know.

But where there is a will there is a way!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom