What's new

Race The Training Thread

This week 17 hours of riding, 710TSS. Also garmin edge told me that my FTP dropped from 230 to 225W during a vo2max workout, I guess thanks garmin?
I pretty fatigued. Next week is recovery week with ~8 hours of Z1/Z2 rides.

After recovery I will do ramp test (I usually perform badly at them) and begin another block of the same, but this time structured instead of adhoc. I will also add some muscle training for my legs, over last year my legs have shrunk and my 1s to 30s power dropped off a lot, time to get it back.

Don't worry too much about sprint power, while this is lost quickly, it can be gained quickly, too.

Also, if your FTP is dropping, perhaps you should ride less. 710 TSS is a lot and requires a good recovery regimen, including good, long sleep and good, healthy food.

I'm not really worried about the FTP drops I got from garmin autodetect, I assume all the Z2 rides I did are skewing it's algorithm. On the other hand, I'm feeling a lot stronger and my avg speed/power are a lot higher at much lower HR.

And yes 710TSS is a lot and I slept like a rock last night, I've been getting plenty of sleep and good nutrition, so I've been recovering really well from all the rides.

I'm not too worried about losing my fast twitch muscles, I think it should take me around 3 months or so to get most of it back.

This week 17 hours of riding, 710TSS. Also garmin edge told me that my FTP dropped from 230 to 225W during a vo2max workout, I guess thanks garmin?
I pretty fatigued. Next week is recovery week with ~8 hours of Z1/Z2 rides.

After recovery I will do ramp test (I usually perform badly at them) and begin another block of the same, but this time structured instead of adhoc. I will also add some muscle training for my legs, over last year my legs have shrunk and my 1s to 30s power dropped off a lot, time to get it back.

My supposed fitness in Strava has been in steady decline since I jumped off the rollers in March. But remember numbers are just that, numbers. Having a good understanding of how you are improving, like you refer to in higher speed, more power for less HR effort etc. is the most important thing.

Keep it up!

Andy

July already! I've been riding my bike in Japan for 20 years! Almost every day! Wouldn't change it for a second!

Last week's training blog link and the usual cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「july already!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

6 months into the year
june was another good training month
2021年の後半に入る
6月はまた良いトレーニング1ヶ月でした

☆100 h
☆1,800 km
☆38,000 m up
☆1 race / 1 win!

last week I was tired after grinduro
4 days of easy riding
then 2 back to back big rides
tired again!
先週はグリンデューロの後で疲れました
イージーの4日間の後に
2つのビッググラベルライドへ
また疲れた!

☆monday: gravel 45km / 800m
☆tuesday: gravel 40km / 250m
☆wednesday: gravel 25km / 600m
☆thursday: gravel 50km / 600m
☆friday: gravel 120km / 3,200m
☆saturday: gravel 130km / 3,000m
☆sunday: rest, recovery 30km / 200m

fatigue is good
if you recover properly
you come back stronger
roll on july!
倦怠感が良いことです
きちんとリカバリーすると
強く戻ってくる
7月にロールオン!

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko

My supposed fitness in Strava has been in steady decline since I jumped off the rollers in March. But remember numbers are just that, numbers. Having a good understanding of how you are improving, like you refer to in higher speed, more power for less HR effort etc. is the most important thing.

Keep it up!

Andy
Thanks! It's good to know I'm on the right path. If I've learned anything over last year is that FTP is not the be all that some people make it to be, it's only a number used to set a workout level.

July already! I've been riding my bike in Japan for 20 years! Almost every day! Wouldn't change it for a second!

Last week's training blog link and the usual cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「july already!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

6 months into the year
june was another good training month
2021年の後半に入る
6月はまた良いトレーニング1ヶ月でした

☆100 h
☆1,800 km
☆38,000 m up
☆1 race / 1 win!

last week I was tired after grinduro
4 days of easy riding
then 2 back to back big rides
tired again!
先週はグリンデューロの後で疲れました
イージーの4日間の後に
2つのビッググラベルライドへ
また疲れた!

☆monday: gravel 45km / 800m
☆tuesday: gravel 40km / 250m
☆wednesday: gravel 25km / 600m
☆thursday: gravel 50km / 600m
☆friday: gravel 120km / 3,200m
☆saturday: gravel 130km / 3,000m
☆sunday: rest, recovery 30km / 200m

fatigue is good
if you recover properly
you come back stronger
roll on july!
倦怠感が良いことです
きちんとリカバリーすると
強く戻ってくる
7月にロールオン!

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko

That's massive month! How many hours per week do you ride? Looks like around 20h?

I did two hill climbs this weekend, my first in six years. Between the both of them I completely updated my best power numbers for everything just under an hour to just under an hour and fifty minutes. I was fairly conservative, though, so those numbers are still well below my supposed FTP. Although the races both finished at 1,600 meters, so there is some level of altitude effects. The experience has motivated me to train more. JBCF race next weekend, but I don't expect to make it a full lap. Haha.

@baribari
You've gotten pretty active. I wish I could do what you did and participate in hill climbs. I *love* hill climbs/climbing hills and mountains. How did you place?

@baribari
You've gotten pretty active. I wish I could do what you did and participate in hill climbs. I *love* hill climbs/climbing hills and mountains. How did you place?
Poorly in absolute terms, but not bad in relative terms for body weight according to Strava... I only did about 2.9 watts/kg for both races, though theoretically I should have been able to do at least 3.3 on the first day. I wasn't prepared to bleed out of my eyeballs for a full hour, though. Now I realize why it's important to ride the courses beforehand.

@baribari
Nice to meet you on Sunday.
I wish I could have seen the mountain when climbing !!!
Not knowing the climb was a limiting factor to know where to go full gas or not, but with surprisingly much more than expected near flat or down sections over the 32km course and not any super steep long parts, the Bandai skyline hill climb was enjoyable.
This climb can fit the ones who have the watts and.a huge engine, not only the lightweights

@baribari
Nice to meet you on Sunday.
I wish I could have seen the mountain when climbing !!!
Not knowing the climb was a limiting factor to know where to go full gas or not, but with surprisingly much more than expected near flat or down sections over the 32km course and not any super steep long parts, the Bandai skyline hill climb was enjoyable.
This climb can fit the ones who have the watts and.a huge engine, not only the lightweights
Yeah, the course on the day before was much steeper.

It's off road riding, so not particularly fast!

The two big rides in there were 180km and 200km, both with 5,000m elevation. Which is a long day in the saddle off road!

Andy
5,000 meters in a day is unfathomable. Well done!
I always reckon I have climbed 5-6,000 meters on a long ride only to come home and see I might have just made it beyond about 300 meters. On a good day.
At least I know I gauge elevation much the same way as I do direction: cluelessly

What race was it?
The one you did not about this time two years ago. You finished, though. Haha.
I don't expect I will ever keep up in JBCF races unless I can trim down to the mid-70 kg range, assuming I can do that and maintain the same power.

Also I realized afterwards that there's too many syllables on final line...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom