What's new

Race The Training Thread

Been pretty much off the bike for 3 weeks, moving apartments, packing, unpacking, selling, throwing things away. Concluding my job at my old company and getting a new slower paced job.

I did 1 ride from my old place to new one, had to move my bike...

Now I've a month+ of time off and I was planning to restart doing my base training with long rides. But, the weather is dumps, now last year this time I got myself a trainer, it's ok for 1-2hour rides max before my ass kills me and I can't continue. How do you manage to get motivation to ride outside in what I would call fairly shitty weather? Coming from sunny australia, it's either bone dry or a tropical storm.

I'm finding myself with lots of time now, new area to explore and find good roads to train, but no motivation to head out. How does everyone from the wet countries motivate themselves to head out in this weather?

Also another tidbit for allergy sufferers like me, allergy meds, especially more potent and at higher doses might ruin your workouts:

I take antihistamines daily. My doctor advised me to experiment with the dosage. Prescription is two daily, but by trial and error, I take one in the morning during pollen season and half of one in the morning at other times.

Sometimes I would take one at night if breathing was difficult. But since doing the sinus rinse I haven't needed it. For me the sinus rinse has been a game changer and I may be able to cut the antihistamines even more.

Andy

Melbourne :) I've lived most of my life in QLD/NSW, the moment I got older I got out of QLD, since humidity doesn't agree with me.

So just go num and do it. Got it, any clothing gear recommendations? Since I've only started riding last year, I only have winter + summer gear. I don't really have any wet weather.

For now I got 1 month zwift subscription and I've noticed my fitness has dropped off a bit over last 3 weeks. I was ok for 1h 45min, but after that I hit a massive wall. Hopefully muscle memory applies to cycling just as much as it does to weight training and I can get my fitness back in ~2 weeks.
For clothing at this time of year arm warmers are good. Don't think of them as only for warming your arms. By rolling them down on climbs and rolling them up on descents, you can control your body temperature as a whole.

In addition, a lightweight windbreaker, which should fit into one jersey pocket, is good for a long descent or heavy rain.

Andy

Another week of training done. 6 days off road and in heavy rain, I wore my brake pads out!

SRAM parts are like gold dust in Japan, so I had to salvage some pads from another set of brakes.

Today was a rest day so the sun came out! More rain on the forecast tomorrow!

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「rainy season」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

the rainy season came early this year
low clouds
heavy rain
but riding gravel
it's actually fun riding in the rain!
今年の梅雨が速くやってきました
低い雲
大雨
でもグラベルで走ると楽しいです!

strength training on monday
I could feel muscle pain till saturday!
just tempo on the bike then
月曜日の筋力トレーニングのダメージは
土曜日まで筋肉痛が感じられました!
バイクワークはテンポだけで

monday: rest / strength
tuesday: gravel 55km / 900m
wednesday: gravel 55km / 1,300m
thursday: gravel 60km / 900m
friday: gravel 90km / 1,900m
saturday: rest
sunday: gravel group 100km / 2,500m (plan)

a rest day today
in preparation for a group gravel ride tomorrow
今日はフルレスト
明日のグループライドのために

here we go!
がんばりましょう!

I take antihistamines daily. My doctor advised me to experiment with the dosage. Prescription is two daily, but by trial and error, I take one in the morning during pollen season and half of one in the morning at other times.

Sometimes I would take one at night if breathing was difficult. But since doing the sinus rinse I haven't needed it. For me the sinus rinse has been a game changer and I may be able to cut the antihistamines even more.

Andy
Thanks for the advice, as per your previous post, the sinus rinse is great and I could say life changing. Right now for me pollen isn't issue, just dust and I'm experimenting with without taking pills off and just using snus rinse + nasal spray before I go sleep with mixed results.
For clothing at this time of year arm warmers are good. Don't think of them as only for warming your arms. By rolling them down on climbs and rolling them up on descents, you can control your body temperature as a whole.

In addition, a lightweight windbreaker, which should fit into one jersey pocket, is good for a long descent or heavy rain.

Andy
Thanks! Looking at the 10day forecast windbreaker is a good idea.

Melbourne :) I've lived most of my life in QLD/NSW, the moment I got older I got out of QLD, since humidity doesn't agree with me.

So just go num and do it. Got it, any clothing gear recommendations? Since I've only started riding last year, I only have winter + summer gear. I don't really have any wet weather.

For now I got 1 month zwift subscription and I've noticed my fitness has dropped off a bit over last 3 weeks. I was ok for 1h 45min, but after that I hit a massive wall. Hopefully muscle memory applies to cycling just as much as it does to weight training and I can get my fitness back in ~2 weeks.
Ah, being from Melbourne, I guess I am a Queenslander in waiting (most of my family ended up there!).
Not sure whether I'm the right guy for clothing recommendations. I am fat, so had to fight my embarrassment to wear lyrca, which I have found to be good in all conditions because it dries quickly and seems to make me ride faster. I used to commute in all seasons and for the rainy season I tried everything from raincoats to ponchos to full body suits before finally settling on quick dry shorts, a lycra jersey and SPD sandals.
Good luck with the muscle memory! I'm sure you'll be back and KOMing like mad in no time.

Ah, being from Melbourne, I guess I am a Queenslander in waiting (most of my family ended up there!).
Not sure whether I'm the right guy for clothing recommendations. I am fat, so had to fight my embarrassment to wear lyrca, which I have found to be good in all conditions because it dries quickly and seems to make me ride faster. I used to commute in all seasons and for the rainy season I tried everything from raincoats to ponchos to full body suits before finally settling on quick dry shorts, a lycra jersey and SPD sandals.
Good luck with the muscle memory! I'm sure you'll be back and KOMing like mad in no time.
I've been lycra clad for a while, no issues wearing it. I'm already naked when I go to onsen, wearing lycra is non-issue. I think like mentioned by Andy, I need a windbreaker/wind jacket. So far the zwift membership has been wasted, day after day of sunny weather.

As for KOMs, unlikely so far. I'm able to keep up with people on flat, but since I've moved to hilly area (while trying to do Z2 workout), it's been a struggle and it will be for a long long while.

A day in the sun watching the kids play football today. I wrote the usual training blog between games.

Now is the best time to be out on the bike. Like British summer!

The usual link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「if and when」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week I added some intensity
3 days of KOM hunting
I was tired each night
先週のトレーニングにインテンシティを入りました
3日間のKOMアタック
毎日の夜に疲れが分かる

after two easy days
a gravel group ride on
saturday
I'm climbing well after the KOM efforts
but more importantly
my descending has improved dramatically
2日間のイージーな日の後に
土曜日はビッググラベルグループライドへ
KOMのおかげで元気に登れます
しかしもっと重要なことは
下りはやっとついていきます

if and when the gravel events start
I'll be ready
「if and when」グラベルイベントが始まる場合
準備ができています

monday: gravel KOM 80km / 1,600m
tuesday: gravel KOM 90km / 2,000m
wednesday: gravel KOM 60km / 1,300m
thursday: gravel bike easy 50km / 700m
friday: rest
saturday: gravel 110km / 2,500m
sunday: rest

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko

Last week was an eventful week. From not being able to walk on Tuesday, to a 180km / 5,000m gravel ride on Sunday. Still a bit tired from that!

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy.

「something from nothing」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week started with a crash
it could have been a week of nothing
but you can always make something from nothing
先週はクラッシュで始まりました
それで「何もない一週間」になるか?
しかし、いつでも「何もない」ところから「何がある」ところを作ることができますね
「make something from nothing」

5 stitches to my knee on monday
tuesday I had to rest
riding again wednesday & thursday
trying to sleep lots too
early nights
by friday
riding gravel with the captain
well rested
my heart rate was really responsive
fresher than I've felt in weeks
even a KOM attack!
another rest day on saturday
by sunday
and a big gravel ride
the legs felt great!
something from nothing!
月曜日は膝にステッチx5
火曜日はレスト
水曜日と木曜日はまたライドオン
でもたくさん寝ようとして
毎日早く寝て
金曜日にキャプテンとグラベルライドへ
よく休んだから
心拍数が上がりやすい
久しぶりのフレッシュな感じ
KOMアタックもあり!
土曜日にまた一日休んで
日曜日はスーパーロンググラベルライドへ
なんとか足が良い!
「something from nothing!」

☆monday: gravel KOM 75km / 2,000m
☆tuesday: rest
☆wednesday: gravel 75km / 1,400m
☆thursday: gravel bike easy 55km / 200m
☆friday: gravel 100km / 2,300m
☆saturday: rest
☆sunday: big gravel ride 180km / 5,000m

this year's first gravel event at the end of the month
here we go!
月末に今年初のグラベルイベントがあります
がんばりましょう!

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko

Training/therapy is going smoothly, although I'll have to see whether my covid vaccination will throw things for a loop. I will get my first shot today, the next one in a month. I don't quite understand how, but my employer Tohoku University got dibs on left-over doses and they are starting with the privileged. Seems like the city's organization is subpar, but even worse if valuable doses were thrown away. I hope they'll know what to do with my WHO vaccination passport. I'm looking forward to the fazed looks and the discussions.

You can buy pretty good rain gear now and fully waterproof mtb shoes, but most of it is designed for much lower temps than Japanese rainy season.

Castelli have a lightweight version of the famous Gabba jersey called the Perfetto Lite, but I would caution that it is the smallest fitting thing Castelli make. Castelli are already famous for Italian sizing, but that Perfetto Lite is at least one size smaller than other Castelli jerseys. I have an M and it is tighter than the small sized Gabba.

Regardless of what wonderful rain gear you wear, your bike is still going to get cruddy and will need extra maintenance if you don't want the drivetrain to sound like crap next time you ride.

You can buy pretty good rain gear now and fully waterproof mtb shoes, but most of it is designed for much lower temps than Japanese rainy season.
IMHO the best option is to just accept you'll get wet and dirty. Water proofing invariably comes with lowered ventilation as a tradeoff.

Riding in the rain offroad can also not just increased risk (rocks get very slippery and you have mud to contend with), but you may also damage trails. So it is a trade-off.
Regardless of what wonderful rain gear you wear, your bike is still going to get cruddy and will need extra maintenance if you don't want the drivetrain to sound like crap next time you ride.
Yes, which can get very annoying. And you should bring lube with you on your rides.

Training/therapy is going smoothly, although I'll have to see whether my covid vaccination will throw things for a loop. I will get my first shot today, the next one in a month. I don't quite understand how, but my employer Tohoku University got dibs on left-over doses and they are starting with the privileged. Seems like the city's organization is subpar, but even worse if valuable doses were thrown away. I hope they'll know what to do with my WHO vaccination passport. I'm looking forward to the fazed looks and the discussions.

I had no side effects, so hopefully you'll be okay. The wife had a high temperature approximately 24h after the second shot but the pills they gave worked quickly and effectively. Good luck!

Andy

Castelli have a lightweight version of the famous Gabba jersey called the Perfetto Lite, but I would caution that it is the smallest fitting thing Castelli make. Castelli are already famous for Italian sizing, but that Perfetto Lite is at least one size smaller than other Castelli jerseys. I have an M and it is tighter than the small sized Gabba.

After any big ride or a ride that gets the bike dirty, it has to be a full service clean!

Andy

IMHO the best option is to just accept you'll get wet and dirty. Water proofing invariably comes with lowered ventilation as a tradeoff.

Riding in the rain offroad can also not just increased risk (rocks get very slippery and you have mud to contend with), but you may also damage trails. So it is a trade-off.

Yes, which can get very annoying. And you should bring lube with you on your rides.

Talking of lube, I've been using Exlub this year. It goes the distance even on the wettest of rides. A game changer. A little expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Andy

Last week's training blog. I'll race for the first time in ages on Saturday. Time to kick back and rest a little.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「routine」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

my training week often looks like this
recovery on monday
50 or 60km tuesday to thursday
100km on friday
rest on saturday
big ride on sunday
僕のトレーニングウィークはよくこのようになります
月曜日はリカバリー
火曜日から木曜日は50か60kmのグラベルライド
金曜日は100kmへ
土曜日はレスト
日曜日はビッググラベルライドへ

☆monday: recovery 50km / 500m
☆tuesday: gravel 60km / 1,200m
☆wednesday: gravel 50km / 1,000m
☆thursday: gravel 55km / 900m
☆friday: gravel 100km / 2,600m
☆saturday: rest
☆sunday: big gravel ride 200km / 5,000m

this week I will take my foot off the gas a little
to get the engine ready for grinduro on saturday
here we go!
今週は少しガスから足を離して
土曜日のグリンデューロをに向けて
エンジンの準備をします
がんばりましょう!

Training is going well. I'm at 322 W again, 1 W shy of my all-time high. During group rides I was able to test my fitness and my grit and endurance have improved substantially, too. During a recent just-for-fun group sprint, I placed second with 2–5-minute power PRs — and I had something left in the tank.

Yesterday during my VO2max intervals, my indoor trainer suddenly made weird noises. It went away after it cooled down a bit, though.

First race in ages on Saturday. Just two timed segments for the Grinduro. This week I need to drop the volume, rest up and do some short intensity to be ready.

Short blog post and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「race week race pace」

on two recent big rides
the heart rate was zombie like!
deep in training fatigue
a race next saturday
this week I need to reduce the volume
and put in some specific intensity
to bring out the form

a rest day yesterday
a KOM attack on the osawa pass off road climb today
short and steep
5 minutes of intensity
work through the gears
legs feel good
holding 80rpm
build to LTHR too
good sensations as we get ready to race...

A similar ride today, a little deeper for a little longer.

Forecast is great for tomorrow too and Friday is always a chance for a big ride. With a race on Saturday, I need to find my inner Gaman!

Short blog post and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「race week race pace 2」

another KOM attack today
this time on the kujiranami rindo climb
my two best times are sub 8 mins, 7:52 and 7:54
I want to break 7:50

another steep climb
the terrain is more difficult than yesterday
steep concrete
makes way for loose gravel
thick vegetation forces difficult lines
rough patches
before muddy streams towards the top

working through the gears
build to LTHR again
today I can push harder
lock on to 180HR / 80rpm
focus on deep steady breathing
realizing it's a good time
I drop all the gears and empty the tank to finish

7:35!
a good time
looking forward to saturday's race!

I've been doing pretty unstructured training since I've started again after my break and major drop off in FTP. Yesterday Garmin told me my FTP is 230W, that's still down from my previous 247W.

I've been doing lots of Z2 rides and exploring/trying to find some decent rides which are not Tamagawa (it sucks compared to Arakawa even on weekday mornings for long Z2 rides). I've found few hills to do some VO2max workouts and I started doing them 3 weeks ago once a week and and from this week I'm doing VO2max twice a week.

This week's TSS 592 + 13 hours of riding. I'm aiming for 15 hours next week, but since it's going to be raining the whole week, it's going to be HARD to motivate myself to do it on trainer.

Still tired after Saturday's race. What I've learned as I get older is you have to prepare better before a race and recover better after it too.

The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「getting ready to grind」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week's training was focused on getting ready for saturday's grinduro
drop the volume
add a little race simulation
先週のトレーニングは土曜日のグリンデューロのために
ボリュームをカットして
少しレースシミュレーションに入りました

after a big ride on monday
tuesday was a rest day
on wednesday & thursday I did some race simulation
another rest day on friday
by saturday I was fresh and ready to race
月曜日はラストビッグライドでした
火曜日はレストの日
水曜日と木曜日にレースシミュレーションをしました
金曜日はもう一回レストの日
土曜日のタイミングにレースの準備ができていました

☆monday: gravel 120km / 2,300m
☆tuesday: rest
☆wednesday: gravel KOM 60km / 1,400m
☆thursday: gravel KOM 50km / 1,200m
☆friday: pre race rest
☆saturday: grinduro 70km / 2,200m
☆sunday: gravel ride 40km / 700m

saturday's race was great fun
now I need to find my next race to target
here we go!
土曜日のレースはとても楽しかった
次のターゲットレースを見つけたい
がんばります!

Back
Top Bottom