What's new

Race The Training Thread

The monthly trail race yesterday.

The blog post is here with photos and videos.

English on FB:

Japanese on the Imezi blog:

Best viewed with pictures but I'll paste in the base text below.

Cheers, Andy

「2021 rai rai cup stage 4」

the 4th stage of the rai rai cup on sunday
here's the English race report
「click on the photos for text」

*maintenance

trail maintenance from 8 o'clock
race from 9:30
trail maintenance is always a good warm up!

*line up

as leader of the series
I'm in 7th position in the second starting group
Imezi's Kakeru has pole position
only Imezi's captain starts behind me

*video

3,2,1 GO!
I ask Kakeru to ride easy!
with 6 riders in front
on a single track
it's difficult to move up

but!
lap 1 mechanicals!
first E san
then U san
I find myself in 5th position

*following T san

locked on to rival T san's wheel
he urges the guys in front to push harder
I'm happy just to follow

*climbing

I try to pass where the trail splits
but I can't do it
I have to play the long game

lap 2
still in 5th position
I'm aware of U san closing from behind

*U san chasing

up the 1st climb of the super long section
just following wheels
the descent
over the bars!
superman!
why?
I make a human chicane for U san!

*leg

scratches and bruises
nothing broken
it could be worse!

*out of the saddle

always hard to get going after a crash!
on the third lap E san is closing in
I get a tree branch in the derailleur
nothing broken
it could be worse!

goal!

*T san Jr

the winner is T san Jr!
imezi brake pads for a prize
I look forward to the day my kids beat me here!

*results

dropped down 1 place
2nd now in the series
it's great fun to go to the trail each month
roll on stage 5!

thank you everyone!

*team

Team IMEZI
ride hard or go home!
#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167

Cheers, I plan to switch to gravel riding tomorrow in preparation for a couple of gravel races coming up.

In training we will build to big off road rides of 150km / 4,000m elevation gain. Just need the snow to shift!
there's a lot of rides to build and I see from your photos it's already on the way.
For your power meter it is a good idea to calibrate it before each ride. Even mid ride if there is a significant change in temperature during your 2, 3h rides.

Hope you sort it out.

Andy
I've tried to calibrate it few times, but it was throwing errors. Last night I've decided to replace the battery and there was moisture inside (I rode through number of puddles at speed and it was built to withstand it), I've dried it out as best as I could, put a new battery in and it wouldn't even wake up. Left it open to air dry, tried it again this morning and it seemed to have worked and it calibrated again. I'm going have to have a word with support about this, since I'm not sure if I trust the numbers coming out of it now.

I've tried to calibrate it few times, but it was throwing errors. Last night I've decided to replace the battery and there was moisture inside (I rode through number of puddles at speed and it was built to withstand it), I've dried it out as best as I could, put a new battery in and it wouldn't even wake up. Left it open to air dry, tried it again this morning and it seemed to have worked and it calibrated again. I'm going have to have a word with support about this, since I'm not sure if I trust the numbers coming out of it now.
What make and model do you have?

What make and model do you have?
4iiii dual, but the left side is the one with the issue. I assume the battery door isn't as waterproof as I thought it was. I will ping the support if I should use some silicone grease on the O ring in battery door or get them to send me new battery door.

4iiii dual, but the left side is the one with the issue. I assume the battery door isn't as waterproof as I thought it was. I will ping the support if I should use some silicone grease on the O ring in battery door or get them to send me new battery door.
I have a one-sided 4iiii power meter. I haven't had issues with water resistance, so perhaps it is a faulty seal and/or battery door.

Not necessarily related to this issue but other considerations for 4iiii or Stages type power meters:

If the power reading is dropping out to zero, it may be a connectivity issue. You can raise the copper battery contact points with a small screwdriver. Or you can put a small circle of cardboard behind the battery door. But you have to be careful to make sure the seal is water tight.

When changing a battery, put the new battery in upside down for a few seconds to 'drain the charge'.

For batteries in general I find Maxwell to be the best. Convenience store branded batteries are okay if you lose power mid ride but Maxwell for longevity and performance.

No science in the above, just my experience.

Cheers, Andy

Last week I made the shift to gravel riding. Enjoying it so much I find myself looking at gravel framesets on the web. Itchy fingers ready to pull the trigger!

The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「jumping into gravel!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week I rode gravel
so much gravel in niigata!
and now is the best gravel condition!
先週はグラベルライモードに入りました!
新潟のグラベルがいっぱい!
そして今が最高のグラベルコンディションですよ!

monday: road 60km / 500m
tuesday: gravel 40km / 600m
wednesday: gravel 80km / 1,600m
thursday: gravel 75km / 1,700m
friday: gravel 115km / 2,400m
saturday: rest
sunday: gravel 150km / 3,000m (plan)

tomorrow will be our first team training gravel ride
in April we join the Rapha Prestige gravel event
in May we join the Grinduro/Maduro gravel event
it's all about having fun
jumping into gravel!
今週末は今年最初のチームIMEZIグラベルライドになります
4月のRaphaPrestigeグラベルイベントに参加
5月のGrinduro / Maduroグラベルイベントも参加
楽しむことがすべてです
グラベルへジャンプ!

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167

I placed second (of nine finishers and ten starters) in the lowest TT class. I am also thoroughly sunburnt, as I forgot to bring sunscreen...
I missed first place by 13 seconds but avoided third by two seconds. So the TT helmet and bars were worth the price!

I did manage to go faster than the slowest finisher in all but the top class. I slightly bumped my best ever power for 12:30 to 20:00 (normalized 300). I thought I had a highest-ever race heartrate, but I think it was just bad HR data.

Congrats to @GrantT for another strong showing!

Hey @baribari, where I come from, we call that a podium! Congrats!

I'm recovering from the cold just in time … for my new bike. Rocket is still missing her bar tape and bottle cages. But I'll pick her up next Thursday or next weekend! Yay!

Hey @baribari, where I come from, we call that a podium! Congrats!

I'm recovering from the cold just in time … for my new bike. Rocket is still missing her bar tape and bottle cages. But I'll pick her up next Thursday or next weekend! Yay!
Did you finally get a Strada?

Did you finally get a Strada?
Yes! Well, technically, it is still in the shop, but it is ready to be picked up (ignore the pedals and the missing bartape):

D5AD5F96-3A81-4E5A-BE48-462574EA0456.jpeg

It is really the build I was dreaming of. Ok, I wanted a Red crank, but I would have had to wait another two months — at least.

- 3T Strada with a custom paint job (yellow and clear coated carbon)
- 3T Discus C45 wheels (45 mm deep and carbon)
- SRAM Force eTap AXS groupset with WIDE derailleur and 10-36 cassette
- 42-tooth chainring in the front (looks like they put a Red chainring on it, I really like the looks)
- 3T carbon furniture
- Bartape and bottle cages are missing
- I might change the saddle (my best friend will pay for a new one)

Oh, and it has a hidden tattoo:

9251FC7D-6134-4E39-9508-04B4B9A89972.jpeg

Yes! Well, technically, it is still in the shop, but it is ready to be picked up (ignore the pedals and the missing bartape):

It is really the build I was dreaming of. Ok, I wanted a Red crank, but I would have had to wait another two months — at least.

- 3T Strada with a custom paint job (yellow and clear coated carbon)
- 3T Discus C45 wheels (45 mm deep and carbon)
- SRAM Force eTap AXS groupset with WIDE derailleur and 10-36 cassette
- 42-tooth chainring in the front (looks like they put a Red chainring on it, I really like the looks)
- 3T carbon furniture
- Bartape and bottle cages are missing
- I might change the saddle (my best friend will pay for a new one)

Oh, and it has a hidden tattoo:
Very nice. Is that a power meter crank?

Today I manage to finish 16th of 47 people on what was essentially a 15 km hill climb with two short downhill sections (would have been nice to beat more of the girls and juniors, though...). And I set a new best power while doing it. Again! Racing is the best training, after all...

I just did the math and I would need to get to something like 4.1 watts/kg to have a chance of winning this particular race.

Last edited:
Very nice. Is that a power meter crank?

Today I manage to finish 16th of 47 people on what was essentially a 15 km hill climb with two short downhill sections (would have been nice to beat more of the girls and juniors, though...). And I set a new best power while doing it. Again! Racing is the best training, after all...

I just did the math and I would need to get to something like 4.1 watts/kg to have a chance of winning this particular race.
Yes, I got a Quark DZero. Can't wait to ride it on Thursday.

last week I was planning to ride 13.5-14 hours, ended up doing 16.5 hours, since I've woke up earlier than usual mid week and I've managed to squeeze in longer rides. Sunday ride was hard, the last 1.5 hours my legs were giving up, but I manage to get back home.

I guess since I was planning to do 16.5 hours this week, I might have to bump it up to 18-19 and see what happens (and most of all see if I've time to do it).

Another week of training done.

Tomorrow's weather looks less than Golden but we have a big group on the Rapha Prestige gravel tomorrow. There is an onsen at the start/goal so we should be fine.

Usual weekly blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「ride, rest, repeat!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

lots of big gravel rides recently
to perform well
and get the training benefit
rest before hard rides is important
最近はビッググラベルライドが多い
うまくパフォーマンスができるように
そしてトレーニングのメリットがあるように
ハードライドの前にレストが大事です

a mixture of rest and big rides last week
先週のビッググラベルライドとレストバランスはこんな感じ

monday: gravel solo 40km / 1,000m
tuesday: gravel solo 50km / 800m
wednesday: gravel pair 120km / 3,200m
thursday: rest
friday: gravel solo 100km / 2,800m
saturday: rest (recovery 15km)
sunday: gravel group 80km / 2,000m (plan)

tomorrow will be another group training gravel ride
7 or 8 riders
some of the forest roads of May's Rapha Prestige gravel event
should be rain
perfect training conditions!
明日はまたグループトレーニングのグラベルライドになります
7または8人のライダー!?
5月のRaphaPrestigeグラベルイベントの林道にライドオン!
雨が降るはずです
良いトレーニングコンディションだね!

here we go!
がんばりましょう!

#teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko

I'm ready for training again … except that my bike shop forgot to order the XDR driver for my Elite Volano indoor trainer. I have yet to go on my first proper ride with it. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

I've also had a consultation with a bike fitter. He's a former pro and a very interesting character. I did not expect to focus as much on exercises to increase my range of motion. Painful. I told him that I'd rather do VO2max intervals. And I was serious. But he got my seat hight and my cleats sorted out. Especially the cleats made a big instant difference. I'm not completely convinced by the new seat hight. I understand his reasoning: my pedaling mechanics are better (he had little sensors to prove it and geometrically it makes sense). But now I'm not having enough space for my arms and legs when I am going aero. He said that I should first fix my posture and pedaling technique.

I'm ready for training again … except that my bike shop forgot to order the XDR driver for my Elite Volano indoor trainer. I have yet to go on my first proper ride with it. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

I've also had a consultation with a bike fitter. He's a former pro and a very interesting character. I did not expect to focus as much on exercises to increase my range of motion. Painful. I told him that I'd rather do VO2max intervals. And I was serious. But he got my seat hight and my cleats sorted out. Especially the cleats made a big instant difference. I'm not completely convinced by the new seat hight. I understand his reasoning: my pedaling mechanics are better (he had little sensors to prove it and geometrically it makes sense). But now I'm not having enough space for my arms and legs when I am going aero. He said that I should first fix my posture and pedaling technique.

From what I've learned from bike fitting, good bike fits start with the cleats. Get the cleats correctly positioned. Then get the saddle height correct to get the legs pedaling straight, cleat spacers may be necessary if legs are not uniform in length.

Only when this is sorted, work on the upper body. Most bike fits involve a change in stem, usually shorter. But if your knees are banging your elbows, maybe longer? But difficult to say without seeing it.

If you want a second opinion, I can get the guy here to have a look at your position if you send some side on images. I've had him do it for others in the past.

Cheers, Andy

Ideally, I would have also waited a bit more with a fit, because l couldn't even get a proper ride in before to get acquainted with the bike. But it was just raining the last few days.
From what I've learned from bike fitting, good bike fits start with the cleats. Get the cleats correctly positioned. Then get the saddle height correct to get the legs pedaling straight, cleat spacers may be necessary if legs are not uniform in length.
The cleats feel much better. He had me do single leg drills and fit them by eye. That made a huge difference. He started with the saddle height, though, as I believe is recommended.
Only when this is sorted, work on the upper body. Most bike fits involve a change in stem, usually shorter. But if your knees are banging your elbows, maybe longer? But difficult to say without seeing it.
The tricky thing is that I have long limbs: the setup he proposed works well if I am in the non-aero hoods. Based on that position alone, I should get a shorter stem. The current stem length felt perfect in the aero hoods and hoods before the change in seat height. I could rest my arms in a relaxed fashion and the taller SRAM hoods jive perfectly with my hands.

With the lower seat height the interference between elbows and knees in the aero hoods position is substantial, I'd say 2 cm. It's not arm hairs brushing against leg hairs, but full on contact. And I'm massaging my breakfast with my knees. On the plus side, I could see improvements in my pedaling technique. He put clip-on sensors on my feet and my bum to measure hip rotation and foot rotation.

He told me his plan is to get my position and pedaling technique correct, suggested an osteopath to work on my flexibility and then get me more aero over time. If the position were just a little uncomfortable, I could deal with it for a while and see if I adapt over time or whether the discomfort persists.

The person who gave me the initial bike fit is no slouch either, he is a former world tour pro team mechanic. Yes, he's not a dedicated bike fitter (he has an official Shimano bike fitter come to his shop regularly), but I reckon he has seen enough people on bikes to know when something is critically wrong. Comfort-wise, his (= owner of bike shop) set up felt perfect: in the aero hoods position it fit like a glove, no interference between legs and arms and I was in a relaxed position. I'm confused. Both know their stuff. 🤷‍♂️
If you want a second opinion, I can get the guy here to have a look at your position if you send some side on images. I've had him do it for others in the past.
That'd be great, although it'll take a few days. I have to wait until my XDR driver is here and I can hop on the trainer. Perhaps it would be better to find a compromise between a position that allows me to get aero more comfortably and a position that allows for better pedaling technique.

Kinoshita? He is in Sendai, after all..

Yesterday was one of the hardest non-race rides I've ever done. It was basically 100 km of intervals to keep up in rolling terrain with lighter riders. And today I went mountain biking in the nearby trail. I am getting better at it, but I think I need to have the brake cables on my MTB redone so front/rear is the same as my road bike. It's very confusing to have them opposite.

Back
Top Bottom