What's new

Race The Training Thread

I had a good training week with the exception of Saturday. I just hadn't slept enough and well enough the night before for such hard workout. My FTP is back at 320 W … and I'm gonna take another forced break from training. (I'll be visiting my parents in Germany, so I will fly out next Sunday night, spend a week in quarantine, drive to their place with a rental, spend a little more than a week there. And when I come back, I'll have at least another 4 days in quarantine. I'll do another 14 nights at my own home.)

I had a good training week with the exception of Saturday. I just hadn't slept enough and well enough the night before for such hard workout. My FTP is back at 320 W … and I'm gonna take another forced break from training. (I'll be visiting my parents in Germany, so I will fly out next Sunday night, spend a week in quarantine, drive to their place with a rental, spend a little more than a week there. And when I come back, I'll have at least another 4 days in quarantine. I'll do another 14 nights at my own home.)
Although not exactly bike related, I'd be interested to hear about your experience with the process of returning to Japan after you get back. I have read the rules but wonder if there are hidden difficulties/hassles. I may need to travel abroad soon so any info you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Although not exactly bike related, I'd be interested to hear about your experience with the process of returning to Japan after you get back. I have read the rules but wonder if there are hidden difficulties/hassles. I may need to travel abroad soon so any info you are willing to share would be appreciated.
I'd be glad to. There is a very helpful Facebook group. Usually I am very accustomed to traveling, but this is the first time in years, I'm anxious. A lot of the procedures seem optimized for people who live in Tokyo or Osaka. For example, I will need to take a rental car to get from Narita to Sendai. For me that's not too bad, but if I lived in Aomori or so, it'd probably suck much more. In a sense, I am "glad" to have a forced quarantine, because I was dreading driving while extremely tired. (Driving while very tired is equivalent to driving drunk.) But still. Overall, I'll be spending 25 days in quarantine to see my mom (and dad and my siblings) for a bit more than a week.

Sure hope things get a bit easier soon. I've been putting off international travel but may have to travel soon, so will be good to know how things go for you. What is the name of the FB group you wrote about?

Sure hope things get a bit easier soon. I've been putting off international travel but may have to travel soon, so will be good to know how things go for you.
I would never choose to travel if I weren't forced to. But my mom has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and this is my last chance to see her while she is still doing relatively ok. My wife is fortunately very understanding (her father passed away from cancer about 10 years ago, so she knows).
What is the name of the FB group you wrote about?
It is the Return to Japan Support Group. They are an amazing resource of information.

@OreoCookie Sorry... I didn't see the first part of your last post. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. That's really tough news. I'm glad you will have a chance to see her again.

(And, thanks for putting me on to that FB site. It is really informative.)

@OreoCookie Sorry to here about your mother and the hassle you will have to go through to see your family.

@andywood
Are those power averages estimated or measured? Because 220 watts for eight hours is insanity. Haha.
I only barely managed 200 watts normalized (far less averaged) for four hours yesterday and I was basically ready to be done about two and a half hours in...
It wasn't my intention to ride 100 km. Hahaha. Misjudging how much time a certain route will take is how many of my longest rides happen...

@OreoCookie Sorry to here about your mother and the hassle you will have to go through to see your family.

@andywood
Are those power averages estimated or measured? Because 220 watts for eight hours is insanity. Haha.
I only barely managed 200 watts normalized (far less averaged) for four hours yesterday and I was basically ready to be done about two and a half hours in...
It wasn't my intention to ride 100 km. Hahaha. Misjudging how much time a certain route will take is how many of my longest rides happen...
Likewise @OreoCookie I hope you can spend some valuable quality time with your family.

@baribari 2015, 16 are measured, 2017 is estimated.

20210316_204506.jpg

Always paced it with heart rate though.

20210316_204531.jpg20210316_204433.jpg

Aim for 145 to 150 HR and sit right on 174 LTHR for climbing.

With descents thrown in this usually equates to 50:50 zones 2 and 3.

Cheers, Andy

Chuck, not sure what country you are from, but if you go to your countries website for the govt. info and sign up for their Embassy alerts, you'll be sent all the information which is up to date with Japan law and your countries law regarding leaving Japan and re-entering Japan.
Recently the US Embassy in Tokyo has been sending out these emails more often. So you might sign up for their Emails.

Another week of training. I have a race tomorrow, but I'm training through this as I try to trim down while keeping the power.

Rain tomorrow but we have spring temperatures to enjoy riding whatever the weather.

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「jump into spring」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

2 rest days
2 days of sweetspot to keep the FTP
more volume to lose some weight
race day tomorrow
2日間のレスト
FTPをキープするために2日間のスイートスポット
体重を減らそうためにボリュームライド
明日はレースだ~

・monday: rest
・tuesday: rollers tempo /sweetspot
・wednesday: sweetspot 20mins x 3, (80km)
・thursday: road volume (110km)
・friday: road volume and 20mins x 3 (125km)
・saturday: rest (1h recovery)
・sunday: race

☆news

by balancing input and output
I've lost 4kg in two weeks
インプットとアウトプットのバランスで
2週間で4kg減りました

team IMEZI entered the Rapha Prestige gravel event in may
チームIMEZIは5月にRaphaPrestigeグラベルイベントに参加します

I cancelled my zwift subscription
zwiftサブスクリプションをキャンセルしました

tomorrow is the rai rai cup stage 3
明日はライライカップステージ3です

next week is the niigata cyclocross championships
来週は新潟シクロクロス選手権です

jump into spring!
春へジャンプ!

#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167
#cycleshopjonnobitime

Oh yeah, are you doing Moniwa this year, Andy?

I signed up for that, for Criterium Miyagi, and a four-hour mountain bike race that I will merely be using as a long practice session and training. Thinking about signing up for the Toride Criterium, which is flatish but is kind of a long drive, and Katsurao, which is the big "local" race, though it's not exactly a good fit for me.

I ordered a Poc TT helmet that was half-off (hope it fits) along with some cheap TT bars, although I won't be using them in the race. Mostly for the trainer and the occasional TT without a road bike class.

Oh yeah, are you doing Moniwa this year, Andy?

I signed up for that, for Criterium Miyagi, and a four-hour mountain bike race that I will merely be using as a long practice session and training. Thinking about signing up for the Toride Criterium, which is flatish but is kind of a long drive, and Katsurao, which is the big "local" race, though it's not exactly a good fit for me.

I ordered a Poc TT helmet that was half-off (hope it fits) along with some cheap TT bars, although I won't be using them in the race. Mostly for the trainer and the occasional TT without a road bike class.

I won't go to Moniwa unfortunately. Trying to stay close to home as much as possible.

Will do the Niigata CX next week, Rapha Prestige Gravel event here in May, Grinduro here in June (if it happens) and GF Myoko here in September.

I will make a decision on Tokyo Itoigawa this week, but it's looking unlikely.

Hopefully we can start traveling again soon!

Andy

The monthly trail event yesterday. Somehow still leading the annual rankings.

Race report link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「2021 rai rai cup stage 3 race report」

the third stage of the rai rai cup today
as usual trail maintenance from 8 o'clock
race on from 10 o'clock

I start in the third group of 6 riders
as the winner of stage 2
I take last position on the grid

on the front is Team IMEZI's Ito san
like niigata albilex
he has dropped down to J2!
like niigata albilex
he is too strong for this league!

3,2,1 GO!

sure enough the pace is super high!
twisting and turning through the forest
I'm going dizzy!

last time I got on the front on the flat section
I want to try to move forward here again
but the damage is great
I have to let them go

clear the sakurazaka climb

the pack has broken up
my closest rival is T san
just before the flat section
I can see him in front of me alone

I do a big effort on the flat section to close the gap
but not enough to pass him

he opens the gap again on the technical sections

over 3 laps I lose sight of him
then see him again
repeat

it is clear we are both on the limit

I'm at 168/178 HR
which is a big effort for 45 to 50 minutes
like hillclimbs of old!

I focus on making it a faultless 3 laps
which I'm happy to do

on the last lap IMEZI's captain Noguchi is closing in
the last boss on a video game!
I push hard to stop him eating me up!

my times are
16:22
16:46
16:43

all good times
(2nd stage times 16:43, 16:50, 17:00)

somehow still leading the series!

round 4 is in april
looking forward to it already!
thank you everyone!

next week is the niigata CX championships
supported by Imezi
here we go!

#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167
#cycleshopjonnobitime

Late to this thread... @OreoCookie wish you smooth travel back home (and back) so you can spend time with your mother and family.

@andywood you are pushing some serious watts there!

I've finished TR SSB MV2 which I've modified a bit since I wanted to do longer endurance and tempo rides and get more of an actual base build. My FTP was 230.

Last week I've started doing Traditional Base high volume. Yesterday's workout I saw my HR dropped on AVG by 7bpm compared to start of the week (the plan is the same workout 4 x per week). I'm going to bump up my FTP by 5 this week and see if I need to bump it up higher. I want to keep my HR around 140bpm and under 145bpm throughout the workout.

Small drops in heart rate over the training weak are more likely due to fatigue than anything else.

Personally I am not alarmed if it is 10 to 20 beats lower than when "fresh" but if the heart rate is really slow to respond, both up and down, it's a good sign to take a rest.

Andy

Short article about the Niigata CX championships here. I'll paste in the English base text below too.

Cheers, Andy

towards niigata CX

the niigata CX tournament this sunday

IMEZI is supporting the event
offering prizes to the top 3 in each category

it is a small field
but full of strong riders

the course is designed especially for this event

the key features are

1. the sand bank
here riders will carry the bikes on their shoulders

2. the beach section
line choice, tyre pressure
and of course traction!
will be important here

race start is 10am
the race is a handicap start
as one of the slower riders I hope to set off early!

this will be the last CX event for team Imezi

5 of sunday's racers will team up for may's Rapha Prestige gravel event

here we go!

Small drops in heart rate over the training weak are more likely due to fatigue than anything else.

Personally I am not alarmed if it is 10 to 20 beats lower than when "fresh" but if the heart rate is really slow to respond, both up and down, it's a good sign to take a rest.

Andy

Interesting, I still think I'm in the newbie territory, although my body is adapting relatively quickly and so far my heart is responding pretty fast. The plan over the next month is a lot of endurance rides and keep my HR in the same zone.

Also dialing in (aka having smaller) breakfast before I do my workout on bike has helped a lot. Riding on a full stomach doesn't agree with me.

@andywood Thanks for the tip on setting up my screen to use my power meter. I'll give it a try.

Also have another question. I'm 65 and have never really trained much on the bike. I have a lot of long slow distance behind me but little of the harder, faster, more intense riding. I'd like to improve my climbing ability and use Yabitsu as my yardstick to measure my progress. If I want to make the biggest improvement over a 12 week period, would it be better to focus on FTP building or do a lot of hill work? I see a lot of plans for FTP building and they don't look all that different to me from the 'climb' specific plans. Any advice (or pointing me to good sources) would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom