What's new

Race The Training Thread

The allergen test tells you a lot. I am allergic to house dust, pollen etc.
I had my doctor's appointment this morning. Unfortunately, the allergen tests were all negative, i. e. I don't know what's causing it.

But the inhaler really does help, I was able to train without any issues. On the first day I was a bit careful, I selected a 45-minute long (short) version of a 30-30 workout that only went to 120 %. Since I am on a dumb trainer, I pushed the envelope until 140 % without any issue and room to spare. So I continued my training plan and things are working out for now. My heart rate was perfectly normal and my RPE was only slightly elevated. (My chest feels a bit "weighted" if that makes sense.)

Did a 30-minute workout with two sets of one-minute Vo2max (120%) efforts. Short and sweet! Almost feel bad putting my bibs and jersey through the wash. Not too much of a challenge, but it felt like it was good stimulus. It's gotten so cold in the garage that I have to warm it up with a kerosone fan heater ahead of time. I didn't even turn the cooling fans on. I might have to start using embrocation....Hahaha.

I wonder if the reason my heart rate during hard efforts is so much slower isn't simply because I switched brands?

30/30 x 13 is pretty intense, Andy!

I worked in a 30/30 x 5, and 20/40 x 5 x 2 today because 30s of rest after 30 all out just felt crazy after a morning 25km ride.

I had my doctor's appointment this morning. Unfortunately, the allergen tests were all negative, i. e. I don't know what's causing it.

But the inhaler really does help, I was able to train without any issues. On the first day I was a bit careful, I selected a 45-minute long (short) version of a 30-30 workout that only went to 120 %. Since I am on a dumb trainer, I pushed the envelope until 140 % without any issue and room to spare. So I continued my training plan and things are working out for now. My heart rate was perfectly normal and my RPE was only slightly elevated. (My chest feels a bit "weighted" if that makes sense.)

Firstly, no allergies is good news. If the inhaler is working that is also good news.

Maybe, just see how it goes? If your chest seems to be troubling you long-term then maybe you need to look into it further.

Hope it sorts itself out.

Andy

Firstly, no allergies is good news. If the inhaler is working that is also good news.

Maybe, just see how it goes? If your chest seems to be troubling you long-term then maybe you need to look into it further.

Hope it sorts itself out.

Andy

Did a 30-minute workout with two sets of one-minute Vo2max (120%) efforts. Short and sweet! Almost feel bad putting my bibs and jersey through the wash. Not too much of a challenge, but it felt like it was good stimulus. It's gotten so cold in the garage that I have to warm it up with a kerosone fan heater ahead of time. I didn't even turn the cooling fans on. I might have to start using embrocation....Hahaha.

I wonder if the reason my heart rate during hard efforts is so much slower isn't simply because I switched brands?

I used to do rollers on the balcony with snow hitting me from all directions.

A cold environment usually leads to a lower HR and vice versa.

Last year I enjoyed a few roller sessions by the stove in the bike shop. Intervals with a stopwatch & prescribed gears. A mix up of old school bukatsu and Rocky IV training! Really enjoyed it!

Andy

30/30 x 13 is pretty intense, Andy!

I worked in a 30/30 x 5, and 20/40 x 5 x 2 today because 30s of rest after 30 all out just felt crazy after a morning 25km ride.

I've progressed to making those intervals harder by doing them uphill and all out of the saddle.

Yesterday I did 30s/30s x 5 x 5 using 5 climbs of small hill nearby.

IMG_20201108_110112.jpg
For the off interval, the HR continues to rise for the first 15s, before dropping off again.

I liken it to being in a sinking canoe. You get hit by a big wave. Start bailing the water out with your bucket (deep breaths)until another wave comes and tops up the water higher than the last time.

The point is to sink the canoe on the last interval, be that number 13 or number 5.

Happy sailing!

Andy

Last edited:

Thanks.
Yup, that's my plan. I hope I can keep training, because it really does wonders for me both, mentally and physically. Part of me just wished to know "the cause". 🤷‍♂️

I've progressed to making those intervals harder by doing them uphill and all out of the saddle.

Yesterday I did 30s/30s x 5 x 5 using 5 climbs of small hill nearby.
Out of curiosity, what was the power level as a %age of your FTP? 130 %? 150 %? And for reference, what is your max heart rate?

Out of curiosity, what was the power level as a %age of your FTP? 130 %? 150 %? And for reference, what is your max heart rate?

Not using a power meter. Just going full gas each time. HR is usually dipping in and out of the red by the second set.

Andy

I'm enjoying just picking the (short) workout I feel like I need / want to do rather than following a training plan mindlessly. Hehehe. Just three days until the last race of the year...

I wonder how close I can get to 80 kg before next season.

Having waxed lyrical about interval training, sinking the canoe, and lessons learned from rocky IV, I wrote a blog about a couple of days interval training this week here:

For lessons learned from rocky I to rocky III, click here!

Cheers, Andy

After 3 days of intervals I did 3 days of skills training at the Kakuda Trail.

Making steady progress. The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「progress」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week was the 2nd week of a 3 week training block
先週は3週間のトレーニングブロックの第2週でした

I did 3 days of intervals
I can feel my short power getting better
my short recovery too
3日間のインターバルトレーニングをやりました
ショートパワーが良くなっているのを感じる
ショートリカバリーも

then I did 3 days of cyclocross
I can feel my skills getting better
それから3日間のシクロクロストレーニングをしました
スキルが良くなっているのを感じる

a slight cold
but the rib is almost fixed
I feel I am making progress
少し風邪ぽいですが
肋骨はほぼ治りました
進歩しているのを感じる

last week's training:
先週のトレーニング:

・monday: rest
・tuesday: intervals 30s/30s x5 x5
・wednesday: intervals 30s/30s x13 x 3
・thursday: intervals 30s/30s x5 x5
・friday: kakuda CX
・saturday: kakuda / frontier CX
・sunday: kakuda CX

another hard week next week
I want to practice technique too
all eyes on iiyama in two weeks time
来週もまたハードトレーニングをします
テクニックの練習もしたい
2週間後のiiyamaに注目!

#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #teamimezi #imezitubular

I highly recommend the Natori-Yuriage Criterium. The course is nice and flat and just the right amount of technical.

Unfortunately I somehow managed to misconstrue the goal line (despite seeing it several times previously) and wasn't in position to be able to contest the sprint. Sigh.

I highly recommend the Natori-Yuriage Criterium. The course is nice and flat and just the right amount of technical.
I'm such an idiot. I was at the race from about 10:30is onwards, and I would have like to say hello and cheer you on. The course looked nice on the map, although I could only see the start/finish straight and the entrance and exit of the hairpin. Was the race fun? What category did you compete in?

Elite II. By 10:30 I had actually left the venue to go get some lunch and buy a phone charger and some sore throat spray before the road race in the afternoon.

It was a lot of fun, although there was one moment I was sure someone in front of my was going to crash, but they managed to save it. Apparently there were nasty crashes (including broken bones) in the Champion race.

Since this race doesn't finish on an uphill I might have had a chance for a top finish if I hadn't forgot where the finish line was (despite seeing it several times). Losing a few inches off my waist and hips might help decrease my CdA enough that I can break away more easily. Hehe.

I was a little disappointed in my placing in the TT, although I basically performed at the top of my power curve for 50 seconds to 5:25 (the length of the race). Perhaps I didn't finish strongly enough. Some deeper rims and a TT helmet would have helped for sure.

The person in 1st SMASHED the rest of the field, although I am pretty sure he is one of the fastest TT racers in the prefecture and on a $$$$$ TT bike.

Last edited:
I did some archeology on my memory and my email account and found that last week's race was my 17th (starting in 2014) if you include my first two (and only) hill climbs, my first TT, and my first abortive attempt at a criterium/road race. Only 13 of those races were in a state you could call trained. And only the last three you could call me anything close to competitive.

.....now that I am fully in off season mode and there are races I can actually enjoy, I find myself missing racing...

Edit: I forgot the there was one unsanctioned hill climb I did before my first official hill climb...

After breaking a few ribs last Sunday in preparation for the All Japan CX in Nagano this weekend, I spent the week chillaxin' and hooked up the trainer yesterday for the first time since March.

A ramp test today:

Strava でアクティビティをしました。https://strava.app.link/z5hIhnPcObb

RAMP TEST
about 5 years since I've done an FTP test
ball park figures
350W power tap
320W stages
yesterday zwift was suggesting 330W stages
so I did a ramp test today
first time to do a ramp test
great fun and great training
stopped at 480W / 174LTHR
a bit early?
executing a good test takes practice
next time I'll aim for 500W
result is 320W
not bad with 5 years of age and two broken ribs...

That was perhaps the only real effort of note this week. Nevertheless, the usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「down but not out」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week was supposed to be a taper before the nighter at iiyama
先週は飯山ナイターの前のテーパーの予定でした

after sunday's crash
xrays showed broken ribs
more painful than last time
impossible to race
日曜日のクラッシュで
レントゲンは肋骨の骨折を示しました
前回より痛い
レースはムリだ~

I took a few days off
and two days of zone 1 to clear my head
平日はレストx3、ゾーン1x2

on saturday I set up the trainer and zwift
first time in 8 months!
土曜日にトレーナーとzwiftをセットアップしました
8ヶ月ぶり!

4 x 30 minutes over the weekend
surprised to find myself going zone 1 → zone 2 → zone 3 → ramp test!
週末に30分x4
なんとかやる気がないの僕
ゾーン1→ゾーン2→ゾーン3→ランプテストへ!

last week's training:
先週のトレーニング:

・monday: rest
・tuesday: rest
・wednesday: zone 1
・thursday: rest
・friday: zone 1
・saturday: zwift
・sunday: ftp ramp test