What's new

Race The Training Thread

So my unshakable cold does not seem to be a cold after all (my white blood cell count is normal), but asthma. While the diagnosis is not yet definitive, all signs point to it, including funny wheezing sounds I make when I try to exhale the list few air molecules. That means I can get back on the bike hopefully very soon. I have my next appointment on Monday morning, where I will learn the allergen test results.

I'll have to talk to my doctor about sports. Since the inhaler contains steroids, I might not be able to enter races, but this is currently a secondary concern. Once I have a diagnosis and I can manage the symptoms, I'll worry about that. It isn't as if I was planning to enter any races in 2020 anyway.

I think we must have tried the same kind of dressing. If it is, I can only second that. Mine was keeping the wound moist at just the right level so as to facilitate the healing process. It was waterproof, breathable and lasted about a week. If this is the future, I'm all in.

I used to use asthma inhalers when I was younger.

The allergen test tells you a lot. I am allergic to house dust, pollen etc.

Currently I take Bepotastine Besilate, an antihistamine which is effective for me. I'm prescribed 10mg twice a day, but I usually take it only in the morning unless I have trouble sleeping.

I also have a mometasone nasal spray which is effective for me. But it is a corticosteroid.

I have a salbutamol inhaler too but I only use that in emergency.

Anyway hopefully you get it sorted.

Andy

Thanks for the advice.
As you know, I have been struggling with training for the last few months. My motivation is 100 % there, I'd like to be on the bike and I really enjoyed the training sessions I could do. I even felt ok upping the training volume.

So I am happy that this is being diagnosed and dealt with. I got my first dose of steroids and I tell you, even if that stuff made me faster (I doubt it, the dose is probably way too low), I wouldn't take it. It feels as if I have a heavy blanket on my chest. (Although I can breathe more deeply.) I hope they'll actually find what I am allergic against (and I sincerely hope it isn't something I actually like, an allergic reaction against caffeine would be my absolute nightmare 😱 — 10 times out of 10 I'd rather quit alcohol than coffee).

I finally did the Criterium Miyagi again after attempting it while completely untrained and overweight five or so years ago as my first real race outside of one or two hill climbs. This time I was trained but overweight. Haha.

The "climb" wasn't nearly as hard or long as I remembered. In fact, it was actually so short that I could pass people, which ended up being very important in order to get to the front of the pack. Since most of the course was one-lane and the pace was frustratingly slow until basically the last kilometer (of 23), being physically blocked by other riders was the primary tactical and strategic concern. I am so used to being dropped immediately after the "real start" on hilly courses that I questioned my understanding of the situation when everyone was going so slowly.

But since the course was so flat and everyone was riding so slowly, I was actually able to race and not just ride for the first time.

I went to the front a few times including going for the intermediate sprint (went to early and didn't even come close) and contesting the finish (all I did was lead the pack).

I was so frustrated with people being in my way that I for I moment I decided not to even contest the finish until I realized we were in one of the few two-lane sections of the course (or at least the moto-ref right behind me wasn't enforcing the one-lane rule) so I passed at least half field and went as hard as a could with WAAAAAY too far to go.... and then basically rolled it in after I cracked and let everyone pass me.

In the end, you can't be a sprinter if your sprint watts/kg are garbage. It's just too hard to accelerate to the the top speeds required. People sprinted past me (doing ~450 watts at 45+ km/h) like I was soft-pedaling.

This was the easiest yet frustrating yet fun race so far. You can already find a few videos of it online. Hot damn, there was some bad riding, but someone everyone stayed upright (a huge crash in the Champion class took out half the field).

I learned there's a criterium this month at the brand-new Natori Cycle Sports Center north of Sendai. It's a seemingly pan-flat seaside course. The deadline to enter is tomorrow, but it's a really long way and I feel like I've probably had enough for this season, even though it's probably one of the better races for me.

@baribari
That sounds to me as if you have enough arrows in your quiver to compete, but don't know how to use them properly yet. Since absolute power is what counts, I think you will have a good shot. And being a bigger guy might prove useful in case some 55 kg guy tries to crowd you out.

@baribari
That sounds to me as if you have enough arrows in your quiver to compete, but don't know how to use them properly yet. Since absolute power is what counts, I think you will have a good shot. And being a bigger guy might prove useful in case some 55 kg guy tries to crowd you out.

Honestly, the fast guys who weigh 55 kg put out close to the same power as I do in a sprint, hahaha (typically peaking at just over 1000 but quickly fading due to a lack of sprint training and weight lifting). I suppose if you can't accelerate especially well you should try to draft someone else and stab them at the line instead of trying to tear everyone's legs off.

Being heavier probably does at least help when you need to bully your way back into the paceline after a pull at the front, though...

I need to do more work on top end power and lose fat (not muscle) if I want to be able to contest a sprint.

Faster wheels and other aero bits will probably also help... hehehe.

On another note, I heard an interesting theory that having excess abdominal fat might actually limit your power (probably more sustained than short-term), since the brain needs to keep you from boiling your own organs. Leaner people are able to lose heat more easily, which in winter is a disadvantage, but in an endurance sport is certainly advantageous.

So I wonder if relative VO2max is limited not merely by the weight side of the equation but also by excess insulation around the vital organs.

Sounds a little like some of the poking I like to do on Zwift. I'm wondering if plyo training wouldn't help with some of the explosiveness/power on demand training. We used to do that for volleyball and it helped a lot.

Honestly, the fast guys who weigh 55 kg put out close to the same power as I do in a sprint, hahaha (typically peaking at just over 1000 but quickly fading due to a lack of sprint training and weight lifting). I suppose if you can't accelerate especially well you should try to draft someone else and stab them at the line instead of trying to tear everyone's legs off.
Sure, but I reckon you can use your power and stamina to your advantage. To be honest, I have been watching quite a few videos of crit races with commentary, and while I don't think I'm that much smarter, I at least know some of the theory behind it. I totally get what you mean when you say that you finally felt that you could actually compete in the race (rather than not DNFing), and that's IMHO the most important thing.

Regarding sprints, this is also a weakness of mine. My peak power isn't bad, but somehow after riding for extended periods, it is significantly diminished. Probably the best weapon against sprinters is to not let it come down to a sprint to the finish line. ;)

Probably the best weapon against sprinters is to not let it come down to a sprint to the finish line. ;)

Said every coach ever. Yes, beat them at the long game and then have enough stamina to beat them when they try the short. Something Sun Tzu insert here.

Thanks for the advice.
As you know, I have been struggling with training for the last few months. My motivation is 100 % there, I'd like to be on the bike and I really enjoyed the training sessions I could do. I even felt ok upping the training volume.

So I am happy that this is being diagnosed and dealt with. I got my first dose of steroids and I tell you, even if that stuff made me faster (I doubt it, the dose is probably way too low), I wouldn't take it. It feels as if I have a heavy blanket on my chest. (Although I can breathe more deeply.) I hope they'll actually find what I am allergic against (and I sincerely hope it isn't something I actually like, an allergic reaction against caffeine would be my absolute nightmare 😱 — 10 times out of 10 I'd rather quit alcohol than coffee).

So didn't you take the medicine prescribed to you?

A lot is made of the 'grey area' in professional cycling.

But if you have serious chest ailments, sometimes steroids are the only or best way to go.

There's a big difference between theraputic use and performance enhancement if you are truly sick.

Andy

If you haven't already, doing a power profile test is great.

It will tell you about your strengths and weaknesses as a cyclist.

For me, I always thought I was good at TT and like Mary Poppins in the sprint, and the test confirmed it.

It can help you select events that you can perform best at.

Perhaps more importantly, it can help you devise a strategy for your race.

Go from far out? Wait for the sprint? etc etc

Andy

So didn't you take the medicine prescribed to you?
I did, they prescribed an inhaler, the blue (= weakest ones). I'm supposed to take it once per day.
I'll get the results from the allergen tests on Monday, today, I only got the results from two other blood tests. The allergen tests seems to take longer.
A lot is made of the 'grey area' in professional cycling.

But if you have serious chest ailments, sometimes steroids are the only or best way to go.
Sure, and I'll prioritize my health, of course. I just want to be honest and stick to the rules.
Said every coach ever. Yes, beat them at the long game and then have enough stamina to beat them when they try the short. Something Sun Tzu insert here.
That doesn't make it wrong …
Of course, if you have better ideas, feel free to share them. I plan on racing crits next season.

(And nobody reads The Art of War.)

If you haven't already, doing a power profile test is great.

It will tell you about your strengths and weaknesses as a cyclist.

For me, I always thought I was good at TT and like Mary Poppins in the sprint, and the test confirmed it.

It can help you select events that you can perform best at.

Perhaps more importantly, it can help you devise a strategy for your race.

Go from far out? Wait for the sprint? etc etc

Andy

Apparently a long sprint was the worst possible move and going off the front with at least a lap to go would have been more productive.

That doesn't make it wrong …
Of course, if you have better ideas, feel free to share them. I plan on racing crits next season.

(And nobody reads The Art of War.)

Oh I agree its correct. I think the fine tuning is in the balance, knowing intel on yourself, ride capacity, opponents. I'm not arguing against conventional wisdom, far from it.

(But I do read the Art of War!)

I signed up for the Natori Crit. Hehehe. I also did my first ever proper sprint workout on TrainerRoad. It was only four efforts and 25 total minutes, but ouch. I probably needed that.

Oh I agree its correct. I think the fine tuning is in the balance, knowing intel on yourself, ride capacity, opponents. I'm not arguing against conventional wisdom, far from it.
Sure, from what I gather once you reach a certain fitness, racing intelligence is what gets you on the podium. And for flat races, it seems as if @baribari is fit enough to play.

Apparently a long sprint was the worst possible move and going off the front with at least a lap to go would have been more productive.

Going from far out and winning solo is the ultimate victory! Unfortunately it's difficult! Perhaps more so in Japan with short distances and racing from the gun. I've tried it many times but only pulled it off once. Got to be in it to win it!

Andy

I've been doing some sessions of 30s/30s recently. I was intrigued by these when I saw Japanese female champ Eri san was doing them as her final prep for the racing season.

Here's the data from yesterday's workout:

IMG_20201105_221845.jpg

I did another similar workout today, but lost the data!

Anyway, I wrote a blog about it.

The usual link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「HIIT training for cyclocross」

I came 2nd at a cyclocross race in nagano last month

I asked the winner Imai san about his training

「what do you do?」

「lots of HIIT
high intensity interval training」

・30s/30s x 13 x 3 sets
is the main

HIIT workouts are top-end training

HIIT engages fast twitch muscle fibres

climb stronger
surge faster

HIIT intervals are short,
so you can accumulate a lot of time at high intensity

good for VO2 max
and threshold power,

yesterday I did
30s/30s x 13 x 3 sets

the first set on the flat
high speed
get the legs ready

the second set on komura pass
each of the 13 intervals
harder than the last
red zone to finish

for the third set
out of the saddle each time
into the red zone 13 times

great training!

this cyclocross season
I want to do physical training like this on week days

and practice skills at kakuda on the weekend

ganbarimasu!

Nice regime, Andy! I love the HIIT workouts too. Even for a beginning cyclist like me, they have really helped across the spectrum from improvements in w/kg over time, to how much energy I have even after an hour of riding.

Another week of training.

After doing lots of big gravel rides this year, it feels strange to just go out and hammer it for an hour.

But I need that top end sharpness.

The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「all killer no filler!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

race pace on tuesday at kakuda
about 1.5 minutes slower than my best times last year
火曜日に角田のレースペースのときに
去年のベストタイムより約1.5分遅い

why?
my skills should be better?
they can't be worse!