What's new

Race The Training Thread

Took a downhill corner during a race faster than available front grip allowed. It happened almost instantaneously, so I wonder if there wasn't something slippery in the road.
I'm glad the bike is ok!

At least that's the joke, no? I hope you will heal up quickly. You mentioned you might need new shifters?

I'm glad the bike is ok!

At least that's the joke, no? I hope you will heal up quickly. You mentioned you might need new shifters?

They're functional but heavily abraded and at least one has been dislocated. I also need to have my hanger straightened and get a new inner and outer shift cable, which got worn to the wire. One carbon pedal got heavily abraded. It might need replacing as well.

I'm going to take the bike to get it checked out today. I am just glad the frame seems to be OK. Haha.

Regarding my training, I'm trying some new things:
- I have upped my volume to somewhere between TrainerRoad mid- and high-volume. Most of the volume is added by Z2 and low Z3 workouts, though. Although I do replace my weekday workouts by harder variants if available.
- And I am trying to fuel much more on the bike. This morning, I had a little more than 500 kCals on the bike (for a 1,000 kCal workout), and drinking super sweet energy drink mix with 180 g of drink mix in total was not easy. But I had a smaller appetite during breakfast. I hope this will allow me to achieve higher power numbers over the course of my training.

Regarding my training, I'm trying some new things:
- I have upped my volume to somewhere between TrainerRoad mid- and high-volume. Most of the volume is added by Z2 and low Z3 workouts, though. Although I do replace my weekday workouts by harder variants if available.
- And I am trying to fuel much more on the bike. This morning, I had a little more than 500 kCals on the bike (for a 1,000 kCal workout), and drinking super sweet energy drink mix with 180 g of drink mix in total was not easy. But I had a smaller appetite during breakfast. I hope this will allow me to achieve higher power numbers over the course of my training.

Just try not to give yourself diabetes! You don't need to (and probably shouldn't) eat/drink carbs for Z2. Definitely need carbs for Z3 and Z4, though. For Z5/6/7 carbs probably do more to reduce RPE than anything else...

Just try not to give yourself diabetes! You don't need to (and probably shouldn't) eat/drink carbs for Z2. Definitely need carbs for Z3 and Z4, though. For Z5/6/7 carbs probably do more to reduce RPE than anything else...
What triggered the discussion were several recent episodes of TR's podcast, where several pros said the same thing: they try to eat as much as they can while training and keeping the other meals relatively constant (because they only have to cover whatever I need for my basal metabolic rate. Clearly, I could do most if not all of these workouts based on the carbs I have stored in my body. However, their explanation was that the brain regulates power output and if the brain gets conditioned to expect replenishment, it keeps on "signing those checks" as they say. My body wasn't used to the amount of liquid alone, so it'll be a while until I get used to it. But it wasn't bad, and my appetite was diminished. Recently, I am having two dinners, and I think I am overdoing it :) So some changes in my nutrition are in order, me thinks.

My strategy isn't willy-nilly either: I'm planning ahead, and depending on the type of workout, I am adjusting my carb intake. Today's workout was roughly 1,000 kCals, and I put in 500–600 kCals during my workout.

Always best to get it washed out professionally at the hospital. Also you'll get a course of antibiotics as a matter of course and anti inflammatory drugs / painkillers if necessary.

Andy

Will do that next time.... I just walked home with 10,000 yen worth of wound dressings that are apparently in vogue at the moment (PlusMoist) as well as surgical netting, bandages, ointment, and tape. Would be cheaper to have the hospital do it, but that would cost at least a full work day worth of time.

Will do that next time.... I just walked home with 10,000 yen worth of wound dressings that are apparently in vogue at the moment (PlusMoist) as well as surgical netting, bandages, ointment, and tape. Would be cheaper to have the hospital do it, but that would cost at least a full work day worth of time.
Don't poo-poo cutting-edge wound dressings. Last time I had one of those, they really did miracles. They would have cost me 16 € a pop (about $20), but since my mom worked at the hospital, I got 'em for free. I could shower with them, they were breathable and in their spare time, they accelerated the healing process. And they did that for 5-7 days a piece, I think. My mind was blown.

But make sure to keep an eye on things, and go to the doctor if necessary. Like @andywood said, road rash can lead to infections and you just don't want to go there. Get well soon!

I don't mind spending the money on good dressings. But spending an hour or two in a hospital during work hours every day for a week is a non-starter. So I'll pay extra to take home the supplies and do it myself.

I just wish they had bigger surgical netting, since the largest size they had barely fit over my knee. Would have been nice to have some that could fit over my thigh.

I don't mind spending the money on good dressings. But spending an hour or two in a hospital during work hours every day for a week is a non-starter. So I'll pay extra to take home the supplies and do it myself.
Are you getting paid on an hourly basis? Also, are you sure that you would need to come in every day of the week? (In Japan the answer might be yes ;))

Are you getting paid on an hourly basis? Also, are you sure that you would need to come in every day of the week? (In Japan the answer might be yes ;))

I suppose I won't be able to go home for Christmas anyway.... haha.

If it's just road rash, just the intial visit to get it properly cleaned and get antibiotics is probably enough.

Most hospitals still bandage the old fashioned way.

But after that first visit, you can use wet skin patches bought from a drug store.

These can be used for a week or more. If they do need changing, then done properly, under warm water in the shower, should be enough to prevent infection.

Andy

Looks like I am going to take another break from training. My two-year-old got sicker again, and so did I. I am sure that ramping up the volume also took energy away from my immune system. Today she was diagnosed with three types of pathogens, influenza, a resistant strain of pneumonia and something else. Ugh.

I've literally caught her licking our coffee cups the other day. And drinking from my bottles. And yes, those kisses that I couldn't resist giving. :)

Looks like I am going to take another break from training. My two-year-old got sicker again, and so did I. I am sure that ramping up the volume also took energy away from my immune system. Today she was diagnosed with three types of pathogens, influenza, a resistant strain of pneumonia and something else. Ugh.

I've literally caught her licking our coffee cups the other day. And drinking from my bottles. And yes, those kisses that I couldn't resist giving. :)

Hang in there! There has been several occasions when our two have had influenza but mum and dad dodged the bullet! Rest and healthy eating to keep that immune system up!

Andy

Ibaraki CX tomorrow. It will involve a 230am start from here! Difficult to sleep anyway!

The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「feel the pain!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

ibaraki CX tomorrow
on monday xrays showed broken rib cartilage
明日は茨城CXです
月曜日のレントゲンで
肋骨軟骨の骨折が分かりました

I did a taper as planned
low volume & short intensity
予定どうりにテーパーをしました
ローボリューム / 短いインターバル

I also did some race pace on wednesday
just to assure myself that I can deal with the pain
そして水曜日にレースペースをやってしまいました
本番に自信を持っていけるように

last week's training:
先週のトレーニング:

・monday: active recovery
・tuesday: high cadence /short intervals
・wednesday: race pace
・thursday: high cadence /short intervals
・friday: rest
・saturday: high cadence /short intervals
・sunday: race

it's painful to sleep
so it's going to be painful to race!
寝るのが痛い
レースするのはもっと痛いだろう!

but 30 minutes?
time to feel the pain!
でも30分?
痛みを感じる時間だ!

here we go!
がんばります!

#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167

Did my first Z2 workout in a while. Boring, but effective... and you feel great afterwards.

First time I tried hydro dressing it was pretty amazing. Waterproof, minimal scarring and none of the crusty scabbing to accidentally scrape off before it's healed.

So my unshakable cold does not seem to be a cold after all (my white blood cell count is normal), but asthma. While the diagnosis is not yet definitive, all signs point to it, including funny wheezing sounds I make when I try to exhale the list few air molecules. That means I can get back on the bike hopefully very soon. I have my next appointment on Monday morning, where I will learn the allergen test results.

I'll have to talk to my doctor about sports. Since the inhaler contains steroids, I might not be able to enter races, but this is currently a secondary concern. Once I have a diagnosis and I can manage the symptoms, I'll worry about that. It isn't as if I was planning to enter any races in 2020 anyway.

First time I tried hydro dressing it was pretty amazing. Waterproof, minimal scarring and none of the crusty scabbing to accidentally scrape off before it's healed.
I think we must have tried the same kind of dressing. If it is, I can only second that. Mine was keeping the wound moist at just the right level so as to facilitate the healing process. It was waterproof, breathable and lasted about a week. If this is the future, I'm all in.

Back
Top Bottom