What's new

Race The Training Thread

I actually went from 170 to 175 on my road bike for the simple reason of finding a cheap used power meter. It's a Quarq Red DZero that came with the aero NoQ rings for 40,000 yen. The seller put it on Yahoo Auctions but only for one day, and it didn't get the attention it normally would. I climb a lot of steep stuff and my mountain bikes are 175 so the extra length doesn't bother me. The other bike I ride a lot is 172.5. The biggest thing I notice between the bikes is not crank length but that front shifting on Ultegra is much better than on SRAM Force.

After seeing a Hambini vid about his aero build with a 380 handlebar, I watched a GCN video asking pros about handlebar width and lots of them said they were on narrow ones. I've always just used whatever bar was on already, but might get a new one when my bar tape is trashed.

this weakling just did an everest ride in under 8 hours. so skipped riding through the night and all, like our brave @leicaman . pfffft, easy way out! imagine the training for that. looks like he averaged just over 300W normalized for the whole eight effin hours

His road looks epic for doing it quickly. 11% and pretty much straight so you can bomb the downhill. Of course, you need huge amounts of sustained power to ride 80km at 11%. The Strava file has him climbing each lap at 1300 VAM.

His time record for Everesting has already been beaten!

Another week, another bag of training. I took it easy at the beginning of the week and included two rest days as I recovered from a crash.

A big ride yesterday and another big ride planned tomorrow.

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「stitches」

last weeks training blog

after sunday's crash
I had stitches at the hospital on sunday night

the beginning of last week was recovery

two big rides at the end of the week

the third week in a row
to do x 2 full otaki training rides (100+km, 3000+m up)

like the previous week
strength work (20 mins upper, core & legs) on 5 days

last week's training:

・monday: recovery (40km) / strength
・tuesday: rindo loop tempo (35km, 700m) / strength
・wednesday: strength / rest
・thursday: rindo loop tempo (35km, 700m) / strength
・friday: full otaki training (107km, 3,100m)
・saturday: strength / rest
・sunday: full otaki training (100+ km, 3,000+ m, plan)

with no races in the near future

I'm really enjoying seeing my fitness improve off road

more of the same next week

here we go!

#imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167

Another week of training is almost over, although I still have a 2-hour sweetspot session tomorrow. I'm in the middle of base training, and today's workout was mentally tough, but physically doable. Last weekend, I wanted to get out and smell fresh air. So I took my road bike out for a little ~60 km spin to practice pacing with a power meter. And I was quite happy, my intensity factor was about 0.87 or so. The God of Wind gave what he took on the way back and I was doing 50 km/h on a false flat barreling down with ease. It was payback for having to hold myself back on some of the climbs :cool:

No training this week for me as the working from home and staring at a screen has not been good for my neck. Had some X-rays and have some weird curves and posture from being too tall and staring down at a screen for 9 weeks.

Remember to stretch and get those shoulders back, set up the desk for ergonomic best practises. Hope to be back into training in the next few days. I am really starting to see the results from my few weeks on Zwift.

sorry to hear that @TheAussieinJapan . I hope you're able to rectify things without intrusive surgery or something. posterior chain should be anything but posterior - we really need to focus more on it. by we, I mean generally desk-working modern humans

No training this week for me as the working from home and staring at a screen has not been good for my neck. Had some X-rays and have some weird curves and posture from being too tall and staring down at a screen for 9 weeks.
Outch. Or itai as they say here.
Posture problems are no bueno and should be taken care of asap. For otherwise you will have a myriad of problems down the road. Keep us posted and I hope you will feed better soon.

I know it's not ground-breaking advice but how's your stretching and strengthening @TheAussieinJapan? I've been doing some yoga and body weight exercises before bed for about six months now and it's helped no end with flexibility. I was stiff as a board before and never thought I'd get flexible. I'd say I'm alright at it now. I really notice it with my position on the bike. I sleep better too🙂

I know it's not ground-breaking advice but how's your stretching and strengthening @TheAussieinJapan? I've been doing some yoga and body weight exercises before bed for about six months now and it's helped no end with flexibility. I was stiff as a board before and never thought I'd get flexible. I'd say I'm alright at it now. I really notice it with my position on the bike. I sleep better too🙂
What yoga routine do you do? Is it a YouTube video ? If so, any chance of a link please mate?

Yesterday marked my 10th big ride of the spring. After a winter of short but intensive CX, I set out doing a 60km / 2,000m off road loop. Then I upped the ante with a 100+km / 3000+m target for most of the big 10.

A short blog post link and the usual cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「10 big rides」

yesterday's ride was the 10th big ride of the spring

each ride on a different course
・lots of off road
・lots of climbing

each time aiming for more than
・100km
・3,000m up

it's been a few years since I've done hard training like this

it's been a few years since I've enjoyed training like this!

ride on!

What yoga routine do you do? Is it a YouTube video ? If so, any chance of a link please mate?
I started off with this as I'd done one of her pilates routines a few years ago for a bit, liked it, but didn't keep it up:

I then did this one for a while:

(I never much liked the pigeon pose as it hurt in a bad way so I always skipped it and did the alternative stretch)

After that, I just started making my own stuff up based on things I'd see on YouTube. Incidentally, I did the Fightmaster routine last night after reading your message as I wondered how much I'd improved. Definitely, a lot better so I'll start doing that one on the reg again.

I also like these guys as they do a bit more bodyweight stuff:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I started off with this as I'd done one of her pilates routines a few years ago for a bit, liked it, but didn't keep it up:

I then did this one for a while:

(I never much liked the pigeon pose as it hurt in a bad way so I always skipped it and did the alternative stretch)

After that, I just started making my own stuff up based on things I'd see on YouTube. Incidentally, I did the Fightmaster routine last night after reading your message as I wondered how much I'd improved. Definitely, a lot better so I'll start doing that one on the reg again.

I also like these guys as they do a bit more bodyweight stuff:

Hope this helps!

Cheers mate. I'm going to give them a try. I've had neck and shoulder pain for the last few years and never really done anything about it. I'm sure part of it is to do with not stretching/ working out my upper body

I had what I my orthopedic surgeon mate called shoulder impingement and he put it down to rugby injuries and cycling constanly stretching out my arms, He thought I would be able to improve it with rehab. I started a series or stretches based on correct spinal posture and shoulder rotation, after only a few weeks it was all better. Now I stretch sepcifically the shoulders and neck once a week as prevention. CBD creams also give some of my rugby playing peers really good results and as they have no THC are readily available here in Japan.

Between one thing and another, I've watched watts disappear from the radar for the last 6 months even though I have been getting work done. Last ramp 6 weeks ago, I lost another 7 watts... Since then, I've stayed inside (more because of Corona than any other reason) and I've been using the TrainerRoad low volume plan (3.5 hours a week) and finally saw the needle go back up (albeit 7 watts and 1 kilo lost). Last week was a rest week and the week before I was in bits trying to finish the last of the hard work. I really didn't think I had improved again and last night I felt it was going wrong again as my wife was coughing and had a temperature and I didn't get much sleep. However, I crawled onto the trainer and somehow felt pretty good and could immediately tell the difference in how I felt from my last ramp test. I will plough onwards with renewed spirits.

those are good recommendations @stu_kawagoe , I can personally second the calisthenics movement channel - first class content, and the body-weight warrior is also pretty good. glad to see more people awakening to the importance of mobility. if you can achieve controlled mobility through the full range of motion, it automatically means you have stability in that joint, which presupposed strength and balance between the antagonistic muscle groups etc. you can't go wrong with alex and swen for sure

there's a lot of posturing there, or at least him showing just exactly what is possible when full range of motion is achieved. much of it are advanced moves, but there is a lot of valuable info on the basic functions of the joint and hints on how to work on the range in each plane etc. so definitely not something that can just be copied as a ready-made program, but with a bit of effort, the invaluable info there can be applied to each individual level and progression

just remembered another good channel for those who just look for simple go-along stretch/yoga routine (some strengthening benefits too, for sure). this guy is your go to person believe me

Back
Top Bottom