What's new

Race The Training Thread

Honestly, the fact that your team owner requires you to race in top-end gear just seems really inconsiderate. WaveOne bibs are perfectly good and cost less than 25,000 for a top-bottom set. Not to mention they give you sizing samples and will even repair your crash damage.
Let's see what happens next year. They also mentioned that it won't be as cheap as last time, because we got a special discount at my old, deceased LBS.
I consider anything under 15,000 to be mid-tier while everything over this is top-tier. I think I've decided that anything under 8,000 isn't even worth wearing.
That seems about right. I got my Gore C5s for around 10k ¥ as they were on sale. But so far, I think my experience jives with yours.

Woke up at 5:30 this morning to try a workout at 100%. Made it out of the room but foot was quite sore this morning just walking towards the stairs. Decided to bail and slept another hour. I've been successfully commuting by bike (although not the fixie yet) for the last few days though and it doesn't feel so bad. Any weight on the outside of my foot though and I get a reminder not to do that.

Let's see what happens next year. They also mentioned that it won't be as cheap as last time, because we got a special discount at my old, deceased LBS.
WTF, I thought you said the kit was 50,000 yen?! What part of that is cheap? You could just about buy the minimum order for custom kit at WaveOne on your own for that much....

i flipped my stem up after experimenting some with the saddles I have on hand. My ISM is perfectly comfortable except it leaves me a little raw on the left side. And I still get knee fatigue after 50 minutes or so. I also realize that my left ankle turns our when I bend it up (actually noticed this in the gym a while back but finally realized the bike fit connotations). And I remember my sit bones looking rather uneven when I got measured at the shop. Probably need a professional fit by a physio.....

Last edited:
To me, Assos has the best body fit, though the pad thickness has been reduced for the recent models. Castelli good but the one I bought puts much more pressure on the parts , ok on the bike when riding but not always comfortable when standing.

Woke up at 5:30 this morning to try a workout at 100%. Made it out of the room but foot was quite sore this morning just walking towards the stairs. Decided to bail and slept another hour. I've been successfully commuting by bike (although not the fixie yet) for the last few days though and it doesn't feel so bad. Any weight on the outside of my foot though and I get a reminder not to do that.
What happened to your foot?

slip on shoes and football with my 5 year old in a park with too many tree roots. I guess the top of my foot went one way and the lower part went the other and something popped. Getting better but slowly.

What happened to your foot?

Ha, I was just out doing some nighttime 5 minute intervals up renkoji. Suddenly had the feeling I was not alone. Turned, half expecting to see the ghost of @wexford chasing up the hill. But no, just a tanuki that got spooked from the bushes, shuffling off into the dark. Hope your foot recovery continues steadily 🦝

After two great workouts this weekend, I started my plan to ramp up training a day late, because I wasn't feeling well the day before yesterday. I chose a shortened version of a workout I had done the last week of training, and it worked well, but my RPE was markedly higher. I'll do a "TSS filler" workout tomorrow and recalculate my training plan until the end of the week.

slip on shoes and football with my 5 year old in a park with too many tree roots. I guess the top of my foot went one way and the lower part went the other and something popped. Getting better but slowly.

RICE it!
(Rest Ice Compression Elevation)

A mixed week of days of heavy snow and days of beautiful sunshine here in Niigata this week.

On sunny days, the only better place to be than on the bike by the sea is maybe a ski hill.

The usual weekly blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「strength, intervals, volume, specificity」

last week was a combination of

1. strength work: 4 gym sessions
2. intervals: 2 zwift workouts raising it to 180HR
3. volume: 100k on the road bike
4. specificity: kakuda CX

monday: gym
tuesday: road, gym
wednesday: zwift
thursday: zwift, gym
friday: road volume 100km
saturday: gym
sunday: kakuda CX (plan)

one more CX race on march 1st

beyond that
I put in my entry for the first target of the season
otaki 100km gravel race in may

in preparation for otaki
and as we enter spring
I need to

1. do more volume
2. practice climbing and descending on gravel
3. get the bike set up for gravel riding

feeling motivated
and looking forward to spring!

here we go!

What sort of gym do you go to?
I debated getting a JoyFit membership since a new 24-hour one just opened, but its just so damned expensive.
There is a gym at work, but it doesn't even have a leg press.

I went and did another ramp test since my base work was feeling too easy and I managed to bump my carb-starved FTP by 12 watts.

I also set a new personal max HR record (187!).

I also entered my first race of the year.... the Tour de Tochigi Prologue TT. Nice and short and flat! Hehe.

@baribari
What did you do to push your heartrate to the max?

I slowly started training again, and it is going great. I opted for a 2-hour 4x2x9 minute sweet spot intervals, and when I was done, I wanted more and I wanted to up the intensity. :)

What sort of gym do you go to?
I debated getting a JoyFit membership since a new 24-hour one just opened, but its just so damned expensive.
There is a gym at work, but it doesn't even have a leg press.

I went and did another ramp test since my base work was feeling too easy and I managed to bump my carb-starved FTP by 12 watts.

I also set a new personal max HR record (187!).

I also entered my first race of the year.... the Tour de Tochigi Prologue TT. Nice and short and flat! Hehe.
I use the municipal gym owned by the city. Open 9 till 10 daily.

In the winter I buy a 3 month pass for 4,000 yen and aim for 3 times a week. So roughly 100 yen a session.

On season I just pay the 320 yen single charge and aim for once a week.

Leg press machine is okay, but if there is a rack with free weights, you can get a much more effective workout doing squats and/or lunges.

Andy

@baribari
What did you do to push your heartrate to the max?

I slowly started training again, and it is going great. I opted for a 2-hour 4x2x9 minute sweet spot intervals, and when I was done, I wanted more and I wanted to up the intensity. :)

Once I get to the last minute or so I look away from the screen and just pay attention to how many times my brain says to quit and then ignore it. I usually get to about three times.... I've also only been doing endurance workouts, so I was probably quite fresh.

I use the municipal gym owned by the city. Open 9 till 10 daily.

In the winter I buy a 3 month pass for 4,000 yen and aim for 3 times a week. So roughly 100 yen a session.

On season I just pay the 320 yen single charge and aim for once a week.

Leg press machine is okay, but if there is a rack with free weights, you can get a much more effective workout doing squats and/or lunges.

Andy
I can't pick up and shoulder enough weight to challenge my legs.... or at least I couldn't with my broken clavicle.

I can't pick up and shoulder enough weight to challenge my legs.... or at least I couldn't with my broken clavicle.

With a rack you set the bar at just below shoulder height so you don't have to lift the weight from the floor. Just a calf raise to take the bar off / put it back on the rack.

20200208_094126.jpg

A pad on the bar might help too.

Andy

The gym doesn't have a squat rack or a squat pad. Holy crap, that's a lot of weight.

That's 126kg x 5 for each leg for the lunge.

The basic principle is that you steadily increase the weight while reducing the number of reps through the off season.

I was doing 80kg x 15 during the season, no increase in load, just strength maintenance.

Then in the winter gradually increase the load. But the most important thing is form. The danger is to go too heavy and do it with bad form. "On the edge of good form" is the place to be.

Finally, before the on season stage, drop the weight and do more and faster repetitions to help transfer those strength gains to power on the bike.

That's the theory anyway, but there are other benefits such as body balance, increased flexibility, reduced risk of injury etc.

Andy

That's 126kg x 5 for each leg for the lunge.

The basic principle is that you steadily increase the weight while reducing the number of reps through the off season.

I was doing 80kg x 15 during the season, no increase in load, just strength maintenance.

Then in the winter gradually increase the load. But the most important thing is form. The danger is to go too heavy and do it with bad form. "On the edge of good form" is the place to be.

Finally, before the on season stage, drop the weight and do more and faster repetitions to help transfer those strength gains to power on the bike.

That's the theory anyway, but there are other benefits such as body balance, increased flexibility, reduced risk of injury etc.

Andy

The university gym doesn't even have that many weights.... haha.

The university gym doesn't even have that many weights.... haha.

When the kids were small I used to do all my weight training at home.

ソース画像を表示

Surprising what you can do with a set of dumbbells.

no weight squats に対する画像結果

Even with no weight, sets of 50 squats in front of the TV is a killer.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom