What's new

Race The Training Thread

First snow on the mountain this morning.

I'm taking it easy this week, so I wrote the weekly training blog already.

Looking forward to an off road adventure around Yatsugatake on Sunday.

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「time to get dirty」

this week's training blog

this sunday is the rapha nobeyama gravel challenge

it is the first edition of the race

and this will be my first experience of racing off road

> uncertainties

so many things remain uncertain

even the course is yet to be announced

with no information it's difficult to make tyre choices, gear choices...

too late to think about that now

I guess the unexpected is part of the fun? perhaps?

> certainties

things that are for certain are that

1. it will be cold

a 7am start at 1,300 m
max altitude of 1,900 m
likely to be close to zero

what to wear?
races like these are won and lost by fashion choices

2. it will be tough

rumored to be x 2 10km gravel segments

a 10km TT or HC is tough
x 2 is even tougher

add the off road element and you may as well call it x 4!

you can bet it's going to be hard

perhaps no amount of rest will be good enough

this week I alternated between rest days and days with short rides of high intensity

a drop in temperature was also a chance to try out some winter kit

> last week's training

monday: gravel race pace

tuesday: rest

wednesday: gravel race pace / winter kit check / gym

thursday: rest

friday: gravel race pace / winter kit check (plan)

saturday: rest(plan)

sunday: race

time to get dirty!

Sounds like you need embro and a nice long warmup.

I find the main thing is to look after the head, hands and feet as this is where heat is lost and where it hurts.

I dug out my ski gloves and thermal wool hiking socks. Neoprene overshoes for sure. For the balaclava, the trick is to carry a spare and then you can change if you get sweaty on a climb.

I'm more concerned about following the route. GPX files arrived today. I borrowed a bryton aero 60 from the shop and uploaded them. But I've no experience of following a track.

I will try to commit as much as I can to memory. Harder as you get older!

Doubt I'll do a warm up. But I'll be covered head to toe in tiger balm!

Andy

I find the main thing is to look after the head, hands and feet as this is where heat is lost and where it hurts.

I dug out my ski gloves and thermal wool hiking socks. Neoprene overshoes for sure. For the balaclava, the trick is to carry a spare and then you can change if you get sweaty on a climb.

I'm more concerned about following the route. GPX files arrived today. I borrowed a bryton aero 60 from the shop and uploaded them. But I've no experience of following a track.

I will try to commit as much as I can to memory. Harder as you get older!

Doubt I'll do a warm up. But I'll be covered head to toe in tiger balm!

Andy

If you have to memorize the course, I'd probably want to make a callout sheet to laminate and stick on your stem, but I've never had to follow a track, either!

If you have to memorize the course, I'd probably want to make a callout sheet to laminate and stick on your stem, but I've never had to follow a track, either!

Yeah I love doing the research, merticulously studying the course and sellotaping the notes onto the top tube.

These offroads might not show up on google street view, and there isn't much time, but hopefully I can get a general idea...

Andy

Aren't you allowed to use your bike computer?

You are expected to self navigate, so you need a device that can do that. So I borrowed one.

However the course is not too difficult and the two timed segments are the main climbs on the course.

My simple course notes if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Andy

〉〉〉〉

・stage 1, 28km, 600m
clockwise

strava segment at 8km, 2.5km?

SS1 segment 500m after strava finish
at 11.7 km
4.4km, 4.5%

downhill after segment

・stage 2, 23Km, 450m climbing
anticlockwise
downhill, then flat

SS2 segment at 15.4km
3.2km, 6.25%

flat after segment

Cheers, I pasted it in to the Nobeyama thread.

Good to catch up with some of the great guys who contribute to this forum!

Andy

This week, after a month of cumulative delay, my 2020 training season will start. Can't wait. I've done some sessions on the trainer just to see where I am, and it seems I haven't lost too many horses. Which is really surprising. But compared to my race weight I gained ~3 kg (of which I have lost about 1/2 kg already).

This week, after a month of cumulative delay, my 2020 training season will start. Can't wait. I've done some sessions on the trainer just to see where I am, and it seems I haven't lost too many horses. Which is really surprising. But compared to my race weight I gained ~3 kg (of which I have lost about 1/2 kg already).

I currently weigh three kilograms less than I did the day after my last race a week ago. Hahah. OTOH, I felt like garbage on the bike yesterday.

Are you going to try to peak for a particular event or two? And if so, will you make an annual training plan? Nothing like having it all mapped out for motivation!

Andy

Are you going to try to peak for a particular event or two? And if so, will you make an annual training plan? Nothing like having it all mapped out for motivation!
Yes, in fact, I do have a plan: I'm doing TrainerRoad's mid-volume sweet spot base 1 + 2, general build and rolling road race plan. That will keep me busy for half a year + a few weeks (where I can't train due to illness or business trips). I've finished mid-volume sweet spot base 1 + 2 this year, and I really liked the experience. This morning I had my ramp test. Apparently, 17 metric milli-horses escaped from my barn (308 W —> 291 W). This May, I started out with 277 W, so I am quite happy. Let's see if I can up my FTP to 320-330 W this year.

I'd like to participate in 3-6 races next year. That depends a little on the schedule and how much the events cost me. I would like to participate in a semilocal hill climb event (the Zao-san hill climb), because hill climbs are just awesome — even if my body composition isn't ideal for them. My goals for this season are:

(1) Finish a full training regiment rather than just sweet spot base.
(2) Ride more economically.
(3) Race more strategically.
(4) Improve my bike handling skills.

Goal (1) should be easy, for Goal (2) I need a bike computer, which I will get next year. By the way, do you have any advice on how to improve bike handling skills on the downhills? I struggle with that on open roads (i. e. where I can't use the whole road due to traffic), because I feel like it is smart to not go overboard. And do low speed drills help with high speed bike handling?

Is Zao the eco climb at the end of May? If you are keen on that why not set it as a first target (then a second target in the autumn)?

Looking at the results, it's a long old climb. Did you do it last year? What was your time? For a long climb like that specificity, ie. pacing, is really important. If it was me, I would be tempted to practice with heart rate. On the trainer put a couple of books under the front wheel to mimic the climbing position. Then do long intervals at a target heart rate or power.

If that's your target then downhill skills aren't important. But to improve downhill, I recommend practicing a corner on a descent repeatedly. Gradually increasing the speed. In an interval session, you can climb as an interval and then practice the descent. Once you've mastered that curve, practice the next one down, again repeatedly and gradually getting faster. Then do the two together....

Also following a good descender is always great practice.

Andy

Yes, that's the one. I didn't do the climb in a race, but I did go to the top twice of Mt. Zao, albeit using a different route. There is a smaller access road that winds itself through the picturesque mountains with nary a soul in sight. It gets you roughly half-way to the top. The other road has a lot of traffic. In fact, on my second attempt I got stuck in a traffic jam near the top ;)

It is also almost close enough to Sendai to perhaps not have to stay over night. I could try and climb it a week or two before the race to test my pacing, though. (It is getting so cold that it is soon inaccessible to safely climb up there by bike.)

By the way, I also noticed that my indoor power is still a bit lower than my outdoor power. I tested at 291 W this morning, but I did 294 W outside two weeks ago over a 20~30 minute climb. How do you deal with this discrepancy outdoors? Do you just know from experience what the difference between indoor and outdoor power is?

Yes, that's the one. I didn't do the climb in a race, but I did go to the top twice of Mt. Zao, albeit using a different route. There is a smaller access road that winds itself through the picturesque mountains with nary a soul in sight. It gets you roughly half-way to the top. The other road has a lot of traffic. In fact, on my second attempt I got stuck in a traffic jam near the top ;)

It is also almost close enough to Sendai to perhaps not have to stay over night. I could try and climb it a week or two before the race to test my pacing, though. (It is getting so cold that it is soon inaccessible to safely climb up there by bike.)

By the way, I also noticed that my indoor power is still a bit lower than my outdoor power. I tested at 291 W this morning, but I did 294 W outside two weeks ago over a 20~30 minute climb. How do you deal with this discrepancy outdoors? Do you just know from experience what the difference between indoor and outdoor power is?

Skied Zao. Never ridden it.

If I travel to races alone, like last weekend, I usually sleep in the car. Park at the start area. Near, but not too near, a toilet. A couple of beers. Bingo!

For power, maybe you are noticing higher power on climbs. This is the case for most people, which is why it is commonly recommended to do FTP tests on the flat.

However, if you are targeting HCs and want to pace with power, it makes sense to have a "HC FTP" determined on a climb.

You could set your "trainer FTP" a little lower for trainer workouts if you think there is a discrepancy.

Andy

Just to add my two pence, some short hill climb sprint intervals outdoors might be a good idea. The kind of intervals that get you sprinting out the saddle. It should help give you the explosive power needed to stay near the pointy end of a JBCF road race when the young guns start firing. Not necessary if you are targeting TTs and hill climbs this year of course.

For power, maybe you are noticing higher power on climbs. This is the case for most people, which is why it is commonly recommended to do FTP tests on the flat.
Yes, that power average was during a longer climb in the area. My FTP was tested with TrainerRoad's ramp test, and its estimates are accurate in order to scale the workouts properly. Since I have a fluid trainer, I am essentially running my FTP test on the flats (I'm in my big ring and I'd say my 5th cog in the back, i.e. 50:16).

@GrantT
Thanks. That's part of the build and specialty plan, I think. I wanted to do some sprint training during the off season, but illness intervened and I couldn't train. So far I do well with longer, high-power surges, but a little more spunk surely would be good.

Yes, that power average was during a longer climb in the area. My FTP was tested with TrainerRoad's ramp test, and its estimates are accurate in order to scale the workouts properly. Since I have a fluid trainer, I am essentially running my FTP test on the flats (I'm in my big ring and I'd say my 5th cog in the back, i.e. 50:16).

@GrantT
Thanks. That's part of the build and specialty plan, I think. I wanted to do some sprint training during the off season, but illness intervened and I couldn't train. So far I do well with longer, high-power surges, but a little more spunk surely would be good.

Have you ever tried a 20 minute FTP test? They are not pleasant at all but I'd say they have two benefits.

1. they help you to learn how to pace yourself for a TT or HC effort
2. they help you to learn how to rest, taper and prepare for an event (as you want to perform your best for the test)

If you you are interested in the 20 minute test and are doing training blocks, with rest weeks, I'd recommend trying a 20 minute test at the end of the rest week.

Like I say though, not pleasant and difficult to execute. But there are some plus points.

Cheers, Andy

Back
Top Bottom