What's new

Race The Training Thread

52/28, but I really need a 52/32 or so... although it would probably be fine as is if I was 80 kg.

Yeah, that's a bit on the masochistic side. Also, once your chain rings need replacing, it wouldn't hurt if you used a compact in the front. Changing the cassette is really easy. Personally, I prefer the gear ratios provided by SRAM cassettes. Here, even the 11-32 cassette has 5 gears at the top that are spaced 1 cog apart.

Last edited:
I was actually considering just buying a longer cage and getting a SRAM 10 speed 11-32 cassette.
I should also mention it's actually a 36 front ring. I'm not climbing in the 52. Haha.

No, that was clear, but the official front ring ratios that are customarily available are 50/34, 52/36 and 53/39, so I figured you'd have a 36 tooth inner ring. I wasn't aware that you are on a 10-speed groupset, though. In any case, that should still work just the same.

At the Maebashi Akagiyama Hill Climb event, I have seen so many cyclist who tortured themselves uphill in the wrong gearing, by the looks of things some must have had a 53/39 and a 11-28 cassette — it was just painful to watch them slowly grinding their way up. Don't do that. :)

Hey, I finally got a higher result on a TrainerRoad ramp test! I gained nine watts. Maybe it was the coffee I had right beforehand...
Congratulations! Keep it going!
I am going a bit nuts, not spending any time on the bike (I am still sick with an URI).

@baribari
Is your injury healed yet? Do you think you've improved as much as you hoped after you did it? I guess you're still dieting too.

I'm nearly 10 weeks into my training now. I added some stretching / yoga routines about a month ago and I've found they really help.

It hasn't healed entirely (I have another appointment in three months) and I think I ended up only losing about three kg from where I started, although that fluctuates greatly depending on how many carbs I eat. But I am still slightly faster than I was before the injury.

Hopefully I won't crash at my race this weekend... hahaha.

Jiro d'Shirakawa, a 20-minute crit. I did it last year as my first real race other than two hill climbs and one failed attempt at a road race (in Miyagi, you should do that race).

I read this article about climbing and cycling today. A bit sciencey and Sepp Kuss (everyone's current favourite American climber) is one of the guinea pigs. Interesting article for me. I might give the podcast that accompanies it a go when I've got the time.

As I feared, the race was cancelled because of the typhoon. This is the third time this year I've thrown away money at an event I wasn't able to race in.
Which is three times more than the number of races I have done this year...

Another good solid week of training this week.

Putting the hard work in before the typhoon hits.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「turning the screw」

another hard week of training this week

a similar format to last week

TT hard training in the morning
follwed by recovery / volume in the afternoon

this week
>monday JPNm TTver2 (solo), recovery
>tuesday CX bike
>wednesday ukawa valley 30km TT (2 up), recovery
>thursday ukawa valley 30km TT (2 up), recovery
>friday ukawa valley 30km TT (2 up), volume
>saturday ukawa valley 30km TT, gym (plan)
>sunday rest (plan)

training with Yamada san every morning
we are motivated to go hard each morning

the key to a good build block is to make this week harder than the last

「turning the screw」

last week we did
・2 x 10km TTs
and then
・2 x 20km TTs

this week we did
・4 x 30kms
or 45 minute hard efforts

the legs get more and more tired every morning

but we are getting faster

pulling for longer
pulling smoother

classic over / under intervals
over on the front
under on the back

as a TTT we gel really well

for the TT we are pushing each other to ride harder, to ride faster

2 weeks until this season's final target

・the japan masters TT

next week?

a few more days of hard training

before tapering off
and bringing out the form

here we go!

I'm so jealous, Andy. An URI put me out of commission, so I haven't been on my trainer. I just did a quick spin last weekend, and I will drop off my road bike for a service. (The retention spring on my right shifter is broken and my headset is acting funny since hitting a ginormous pothole …) On the plus side, I have almost booked my MTB tour in Chile!

I'm so jealous, Andy. An URI put me out of commission, so I haven't been on my trainer. I just did a quick spin last weekend, and I will drop off my road bike for a service. (The retention spring on my right shifter is broken and my headset is acting funny since hitting a ginormous pothole …) On the plus side, I have almost booked my MTB tour in Chile!

What's a URI?

Shifters, headsets etc are usually pretty straightforward for a good mechanic with lots of spares.

Good luck!

Andy

@andywood
What's your nutrition like at the moment, mate? I'm still losing weight and it's definitely helping me get quicker on the climbs. I guess for your TT you can be a bit beefier and it won't hurt your times.

@andywood
What's your nutrition like at the moment, mate? I'm still losing weight and it's definitely helping me get quicker on the climbs. I guess for your TT you can be a bit beefier and it won't hurt your times.

I used to aim for 75kg when I was doing hillclimbs seriously. Back then I could podium in big hillclimbs like Norikura or Kusatsu.

But I think it is at a different level now, and I'd probably need the same power and to be 70kg or so.

Like you say, you can carry more weight for the TT.

I've added 6kg in muscle through gym work. And I aim for about 80kg now.

I recommend decent Tanita scales to get a proper understanding of your body composition.

For me, 80kg is great for flat and rolling terrain. But I've sacrificed my climbing ability altogether!

In terms of nutrition, I just try to fuel as much as I burn. I'm a vegetarian and I try to eat healthy.

Beer is my only sin really! So I have to get up early to burn it off!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom