What's new

Race The Training Thread

Crank length, that's a point I haven't thought about. Perhaps I will bring some measuring tape next time ;) And yes, I'll try to build a higher power pyramid next time.

I suspect anyway that I would benefit from shorter crank arms: it is impossible for me to ride in an aero position on a size 54 frame without massaging my breakfast. Even on the size 56 that I ride now, I would prefer some extra clearance between my belly and my legs. I'll seriously think about that once I buy my next bike. Since I hate Shimano shift/brake levers with a passion, I'd like to go with SRAM next time. (Or, in case I win the lottery, with Rotor's fancy 1x13 drive train.) Then I can select my preferred crank length, too.

@andywood
PS The power meter now works as advertised. For some reason letting my bike sit for three to four weeks did the trick. (It is a bit frustrating of a problem literally fixes itself.) The power numbers seem reasonable according to 4iiii's support and according to other people's power numbers. Thanks again, I think this is an important investment into a more quantitative future.

Just make sure you keep updating the firmware. And calibrate before each ride.

I'm at the gym now and the cranks on the the stationary bikes are 160, 165mm.

Andy

DSC_1045.JPG

Makes sense. While I haven't measured it, it makes sense and I have to say I like the way it feels. The gamut of cadences I feel comfortable with is much larger than on my actual road bike :)

I'm moving to a wooden second-floor apartment soon, so I guess that means I need to invest in a thick foam mat for my trainer.

I'm moving to a wooden second-floor apartment soon, so I guess that means I need to invest in a thick foam mat for my trainer.

The veranda is the place to be. Or buy a shed!

A long ride planned today but heavy snow all day.

I did a bumper 3 rides on zwift. Glad I didn't cancel my subscription yet!

Andy

A long ride planned today but heavy snow all day. ...

No accumulation like that, but snow here, too. Cherry petals and actual snowflakes falling at the same time.

Un(?)luckily, I'm institutionalized at the moment and can't go out.

No accumulation like that, but snow here, too. Cherry petals and actual snowflakes falling at the same time.

Un(?)luckily, I'm institutionalized at the moment and can't go out.

Very unseasonal weather! Cherry blossom here was expected to come out this weekend. But I expect it will be another week now.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Andy

We have also had snow last weekend and a few flakes earlier in the week. This coming weekend is supposed to be nice, though, and I am looking forward to getting some outside air into my lungs.

We have also had snow last weekend and a few flakes earlier in the week. This coming weekend is supposed to be nice, though, and I am looking forward to getting some outside air into my lungs.

After 2 days of heavy snow, sunshine all over the forecast.

So I headed out this morning. Up the coast to Izumozaki and it's raining, sleeting, snowing!

DSC_1073.JPG

Izumozaki is famous for the enka song "umi yuki" and it's amazing how it is often a pocket of snow or rainy weather.

A strong wind off the Japan Sea too. I was cautious not to ride it for too long as it's always a struggle on the way home...

Andy

https://strava.app.link/AAT4IzObBV

Back to spring weather these last few days.

Definitely the best time of year to be out on the bike.

The usual weekly training blog below.

Andy

The group ride yesterday had to be canceled due to excessive and very gusty wind, but the weather gods redeemed themselves today: I had a great group ride today with cherry blossoms budding everywhere. And training starts to show some first effects.

First race of the season on Saturday. Haven't trained in days because of my move.

I gained two or three kilograms, but it turns out I was actually slimmer. All the extra weight was in my legs. Haha.

Also, my heart rate was 37 at one point this morning...

Note to self: Don't attempt long FTP intervals when you are glycogen depleted.

Well, at least I hit a new weight record (after shedding four kilos of water weight in three days).

I suspect I will be losing a lot of weight in my new apartment now that the nearest convenience store is a kilo away.

I am probably not eating enough, if anything.

On another note, I got a cheap thick yoga mat that was JUST wide enough for my trainer and I suspect that will cut down on any vibrations transmitted to the floor.

Last edited:
@baribari
That's the same mistake I made yesterday: after work I did an hour on the indoor trainer and I started with high-cadence drills which were perfect, I tried Andy's power pyramids, but I couldn't sustain the power. The strength workout afterwards was fine again.

Plus, I should try to sleep better and longer. So I decided to go to bed quite early, and I woke up at 5:45, feeling refreshed. Let's see how things go this weekend. I won't be able to train today or tomorrow, though :(

Didn't make the time cut on the second lap of Katsurao. I was almost relieved....ok, totally relieved.

Power numbers were very mediocre. My legs could have gone harder but my heart and lungs, not so much....

Might have been a nutrition thing again.

Last edited:
Otsukaresamadeshita!

Racing is a learning curve.

What did you eat before the race?

Two days before is a good time to start fuelling up on carbs.

On the morning of the race, a usual breakfast 3h before start time.

Anyway, don't be put off. Keep at it. And see you at Moniwa in two weeks time!

Andy

A couple of weeks behind Tokyo, cherry blossom is coming into full bloom this weekend in Niigata.

I'm planning some "asaren" tomorrow morning to earn some beer fuelled "hanami" tomorrow afternoon.

The usual training blog below.

Spring is the best time to be out on the bike.

Get on it!

Andy

Otsukaresamadeshita!

Racing is a learning curve.

What did you eat before the race?

Two days before is a good time to start fuelling up on carbs.

On the morning of the race, a usual breakfast 3h before start time.

Anyway, don't be put off. Keep at it. And see you at Moniwa in two weeks time!

Andy

A fairly light breakfast, a Weider-style energy jelly, and a 500 ml bottle of coke. Last night I had some convenience store savory pastries, but I still weighed four kgs less this morning than I did last tuesday due to shedding water weight (glycogen?).

OTOH I did manage an average of just under 18 mph despite the fairly steep climb at the start of the course (otherwise it was mostly downhill and flat). That's actually pretty good for me given that I only spend a few minutes in a draft.

On another note I was doing SIX HUNDRED WATTS uphill before we even got the green flag to race.

There were serious JBCF dudes in the age group race, though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom