What's new

Race The Training Thread

And by the way is anyone here is using TrainerRoad? I heard if you are an active user of TR you can share a 30 days trial code for new user, would like to try TR out since my Zwift is expiring! Do DM me the code if that is okay with you.

LOL! This is exactly how I fell every time I'm in some climb in Zwift haha
Are you still after one? I've 3, if you or anyone else is interested, DM me, I'm here sometimes and that's the only way I will get notified.

I'm been on TR so far.

I've started my journey with a beginners FTP plan on zwift. Started at around 151 FTP from what I recall and ended up with 184.
Straight after I've moved to TR, the TR ramp test had me at 164 FTP, but my ego told me to stick with 184 and although the initial weeks were hard, I've completed all SSB LV1 workouts. After I've finished it, I went travelling for couple of weeks around Japan with barely any training.

SSB LV2 ramp test gave me 164 again, although I knew I was faster and stronger, I had an off day. I stuck with FTP 184, and in first week of that I came down with some shitty flu that it took me 3 weeks to get over. I was negative to COVID antibody test, but it set me back a lot. I did couple of weeks of very easy riding to just be able to last longer than 30min and my HR to stabilise again.

After I went to SSB MV1 (obviously with FTP 184) , which I prefer over the previous low volume plans. I always swap the Sunday Tempo ride for a 4 hour Endurance ride outside. My HR is returning where it should be and my breathing is all good. I'm in the last week of it and next week is recovery, following that is another ramp test and hopefully I can hopefully get into the 200+ FTP club.

Are you still after one? I've 3, if you or anyone else is interested, DM me, I'm here sometimes and that's the only way I will get notified.

I'm been on TR so far.

I've started my journey with a beginners FTP plan on zwift. Started at around 151 FTP from what I recall and ended up with 184.
Straight after I've moved to TR, the TR ramp test had me at 164 FTP, but my ego told me to stick with 184 and although the initial weeks were hard, I've completed all SSB LV1 workouts. After I've finished it, I went travelling for couple of weeks around Japan with barely any training.

SSB LV2 ramp test gave me 164 again, although I knew I was faster and stronger, I had an off day. I stuck with FTP 184, and in first week of that I came down with some shitty flu that it took me 3 weeks to get over. I was negative to COVID antibody test, but it set me back a lot. I did couple of weeks of very easy riding to just be able to last longer than 30min and my HR to stabilise again.

After I went to SSB MV1 (obviously with FTP 184) , which I prefer over the previous low volume plans. I always swap the Sunday Tempo ride for a 4 hour Endurance ride outside. My HR is returning where it should be and my breathing is all good. I'm in the last week of it and next week is recovery, following that is another ramp test and hopefully I can hopefully get into the 200+ FTP club.
@Nuff ! Thank you for your offer but I have got one from @OreoCookie ! So far TR have been good and I kind of prefer it over Zwift for more intensive training! I find that after awhile you don't really pay attention to Zwift surrounding anymore (Because you watch netflix etc), that being said Zwift is fun when you are playing with friend!

@Nuff ! Thank you for your offer but I have got one from @OreoCookie ! So far TR have been good and I kind of prefer it over Zwift for more intensive training! I find that after awhile you don't really pay attention to Zwift surrounding anymore (Because you watch netflix etc), that being said Zwift is fun when you are playing with friend!
Awesome and enjoy! TR isn't for everyone, for me it's perfect, since I'm time crunched and it's good to get a workout in while doing something else.

Rest day today.

I took the kids out for some urban cyclocross.

20210123_142508.jpg
They rode through much more of the snow sections than me. I put this down to :

*lightweight advantages
*fatter tyres
*lower tyre pressure (shouldn't have pumped mine up to tarmac friendly 4 bar)
*and bigger balls

On the unrideable stuff, their transition was quick and smooth.

20210123_112038.jpg

At the game centre they both entered the all Japan Dragon Ball battle...

20210123_123506.jpg

and ended up being drawn against each other!

Good ride followed by a rare game of winter football.

20210123_165526.jpg

Trail maintenance and race tomorrow. Here we go!

Andy

That's pretty epic, I hope that's gonna be me in a few years. A bike tour with kids would be a perfect way to spend my rest days.
They've been racing since 2 and 3 and I used to pick races based on what we could do together.

The highlight was the 2018/19 TT Japan series which we entered all 6 races together. Them two in the U18!

Recently I've got them both on MTBs.

I want to get them to join today's monthly race once we enter spring.

Some photos with a Japanese race report below.

Will do an English version to the FB blog too.

But yeah, my advice is get your kids into biking, but not exclusively, let them experience as many things that this wonderful world has to offer!

Andy

They've been racing since 2 and 3 and I used to pick races based on what we could do together.

The highlight was the 2018/19 TT Japan series which we entered all 6 races together. Them two in the U18!

Recently I've got them both on MTBs.

I want to get them to join today's monthly race once we enter spring.

Some photos with a Japanese race report below.

Will do an English version to the FB blog too.

But yeah, my advice is get your kids into biking, but not exclusively, let them experience as many things that this wonderful world has to offer!

Andy

English post here. Roll on Monday!

Cheers, Andy

Another week, another training blog.

Been doing this for 20 years!

I went to the gym this morning and met an 88 year old guy who lifts much more than me.

If I can still be doing this in 40 odd years time, I'll be happy.

The usual link and cut and post below.

Cheers, Andy

「intensity, strength, endurance」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

INTENSITY
still doing 2 FTP workouts back to back each day
まだまだ毎日2回にFTPワークアウトをしています

STRENGTH
I also did my first strength training since breaking ribs
肋骨を折ってから初めて筋トレもしました

ENDURANCE
a big ride and snow shoes are great for endurance
ビッグライドとスノーシューは持久力に最適です

・monday: zwift workout x 2
・tuesday: zwift workout x 2
・wednesday: zwift workout x 2,
・thursday: road volume (170km)
・friday: zwift workout x 2,
・saturday: gym, zwift workout x 2
・sunday: hachikoku snowshoe (4~5h plan)

next month marks 20 years since coming to japan
来月は日本に来てから20年になります
the steel kalavinka road bike that I got on arrival changed my life forever!
その時の手に入れたクロモリのカラビンカロードバイクは僕の人生を一変させました!

RIDE ON!

Only FTP?

This is Functional Threshold Power. An estimate of the power you can hold for an hour.

By training just below this value, and criss crossing this value for short intervals, you can increase it.

So, if you can increase your FTP you can go faster.

Without a power meter, you can determine your LTHR Lactate Threshold Heart Rate. The same concept. The heart rate you can sit at for an hour.

By doing similar training, just below and criss crossing this heart rate value, you can go faster for the same physiological effort.

That's the basics of building your aerobic engine which will help you ride faster for longer.

Ride on!

Andy

Another week, another block of training.

I feel like I'm really progressing each week. But without races to lock on to, it's important to enjoy the training for what it is.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「zwift, snowshoes, cyclocross, january」

last week's training blog
(click on the photos)
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!
(写真をクリックしてください)

ZWIFT
still doing 2 FTP workouts back to back each day
intervals above and below 375W FTP
まだまだ毎日2回にFTPワークアウトをしています
375WFTPの上下のインターバル

SNOWSHOES
the 3 peaks of mt. hachikoku
great strength and endurance training
八石山の3つのピークへ
筋トレと持久力トレーニングになる

CYCLOCROSS
5 laps of the kakuda course
I feel I'm getting faster
probably thanks to intervals
角田トレールの5周
速くなっている気がする
おそらくインターバルトレーニングのおかげで

・monday: zwift workout x 2
・tuesday: zwift workout x 2
・wednesday: zwift workout x 2
・thursday: zwift workout x 2
・friday: snowshoes, zwift workout x 1
・saturday: kakuda CX
・sunday: zwift workout x 2

JANUARY
I was active every day in January
1,550 km, 82h
in the old days
2,000km a month, 80 hours a month was the target
1月は毎日はアクティブな日でした
1,550 km、82時間
昔は
月に2,000km、月に80時間はターゲットでした

so with shorter intensive interval training, shorter trail rides and shorter snow shoe hikes
these are good numbers
roll on 2021!
今と比べると
インターバルトレーニングが短くなり、トレイルライドが短くなり、スノーシューハイキングも短くなります
ですので1月のナンバーは良い数字だと思います
2021年へジャンプ!

Another TrainerRoad block out of the way SSB1 MV (I've restarted training after getting nasty flu late last year). I did the previous block with guesstimated FTP of 184, I've completed 100% of the workouts. My new FTP ramp test came up at 189W, for some reason I test pretty bad and I've to yet figure out why. I've bumped it up to 201W and I've completed all of this weeks workouts, I probably could have went to 204-205. But I got to be careful with my knee.

Next few months will be hell for me, since I've both Hinoki and Sugi allergies. I've to get some new drugs since my current ones from last year are not effective. Most likely I will be stuck training indoors until the pollen season is over.

I'm getting back into the training groove. I think I have regained about half of the horses I lost during my hiatus. I'm thinking of extending by sweet spot base phase a little by repeating a few workouts. Any opinions?

@andywood
As always, I continue to be impressed by your consistency. By the way, any reason you use Zwift rather than e. g. TrainerRoad?

Another TrainerRoad block out of the way SSB1 MV (I've restarted training after getting nasty flu late last year). I did the previous block with guesstimated FTP of 184, I've completed 100% of the workouts. My new FTP ramp test came up at 189W, for some reason I test pretty bad and I've to yet figure out why. I've bumped it up to 201W and I've completed all of this weeks workouts, I probably could have went to 204-205. But I got to be careful with my knee.
In my experience I need to up my FTP during a cycle.

While the recommendation is to retest, it often suffices to up my FTP the way you did. Usually I bump up the intensity by 2 % during important workouts (not something like Pettit). Especially if you know that your weakness is, say, over-unders, if you can complete them at 102 % and more than once in a row, it is a good indication you can take more. And indeed, you should up your FTP for otherwise you do not get the same training stimulus. That's especially true for things like over-unders, which are designed to be partially above, partially below your FTP. If both are well-below, then this becomes a different workout.

Next few months will be hell for me, since I've both Hinoki and Sugi allergies. I've to get some new drugs since my current ones from last year are not effective. Most likely I will be stuck training indoors until the pollen season is over.
I have the same 2 allergies plus "dani" dust mites (old tatami can be a bugger) and grass (not such a problem in Japan).

What's your medication?

I take "pepotasuchin" ペポタスチン antihistamines which I find really work well for me.

Andy

I'm getting back into the training groove. I think I have regained about half of the horses I lost during my hiatus. I'm thinking of extending by sweet spot base phase a little by repeating a few workouts. Any opinions?

@andywood
As always, I continue to be impressed by your consistency. By the way, any reason you use Zwift rather than e. g. TrainerRoad?
Consistency & progression is the basis of good training!

And dedication of course. Roy Castle said it best. But if you are doing the above, then it's covered.

No particular reason I am doing Zwift and not TR.

I do exclusively workout plans, so TR may be better as I don't do group rides, don't do races, don't look at the scenery and the kids choose my wardrobe!

I didn't switch from Zwift because I am getting positive results from it. Like any good training plan tweaks are needed to make it most effective.

Today's zwift workout was a corker, a subthreshold block with short intervals above threshold and then "recovery" back down at subthreshold.

20210208_173011.jpg

30 mins at 340W with 30s at 445W x 10 in the mix.

And then for tweaking, progression, making it a little harder...

20210208_173043.jpg

I enjoyed it so much, I did a bonus 50%!

15 mins at 340W with 30s at 445W x 5 in the mix.

Each time the 4 week cycle is repeated with a higher FTP, these %FTP targets become higher too.

I'll pack away the trainer and cancel zwift in a few weeks as outdoor riding becomes full time.

I'm interested to try new things of course. So maybe give TR a whirl next winter!

Andy

While the recommendation is to retest, it often suffices to up my FTP the way you did. Usually I bump up the intensity by 2 % during important workouts (not something like Pettit). Especially if you know that your weakness is, say, over-unders, if you can complete them at 102 % and more than once in a row, it is a good indication you can take more. And indeed, you should up your FTP for otherwise you do not get the same training stimulus. That's especially true for things like over-unders, which are designed to be partially above, partially below your FTP. If both are well-below, then this becomes a different workout.
I think testing in cycles is the way to go.

When I was being coached, I did 3 weeks of build, then a rest week with a 20 minute FTP test at the end. Then repeat the cycle.

The 20 min FTP test really requires good quality rest. It also requires good pacing. And of course there is the mental part. So it's easy to underperform.

This winter I'm doing ramp tests for the first time. These are much easier to perform in comparison.

The only aim is to hold on for 1 minute longer than last time.

Ramp tests are also less demanding physically and so can be done with one or two days rest, though I didn't do any for mine (Still it's relative and my level of freshness should be similar if I perform each test in the same way.)

But yeah, I would recommend a ramp test after each cycle.

The ramp test is a good workout in itself anyway.

Andy

I did find that in the 2nd last week of the block, aka just before the recovery all the workouts felt a lot easier, my HR dropped in a lot of them, even with the TSS being higher. It's like I've unlocked some power up overnight. I did consider upping my FTP by around 5% at that point, but I've decided against it since I'm playing with fire when it comes to my knee (3 knee surgeries) and I did feel I was building up a lot of fatigue, and I could really feel it in the recovery week. And yes, I do love to hate over under, I usually barely finish them.

I have the same 2 allergies plus "dani" dust mites (old tatami can be a bugger) and grass (not such a problem in Japan).

What's your medication?

I take "pepotasuchin" ペポタスチン antihistamines which I find really work well for me.

Andy
I also have dust allergies, I'm getting that mostly under control with good air filter and keeping on top of dust. Thankfully not grass (at least as far as I know). At the moment I'm taking a cheaper version of Allegra FX from matsukiyo, same ingredients 120mgフェキソフェナジン.

I also take https://www.flunase.jp nose spray before sleep ,it used to be great for dust, I woke up with clear nose instead of clogged up nose and dry mouth and wife complaining about my snoring. But it became less effective in last few weeks, I suspect it's due to pollen + dust.

Thanks for suggesting ペポタスチン, I will check it out. Also I'm thinking of looking into Sublingual Immunotherapy. My friend did it and he had great results.

I did find that in the 2nd last week of the block, aka just before the recovery all the workouts felt a lot easier, my HR dropped in a lot of them, even with the TSS being higher. It's like I've unlocked some power up overnight. I did consider upping my FTP by around 5% at that point, but I've decided against it since I'm playing with fire when it comes to my knee (3 knee surgeries) and I did feel I was building up a lot of fatigue, and I could really feel it in the recovery week. And yes, I do love to hate over under, I usually barely finish them.

I also have dust allergies, I'm getting that mostly under control with good air filter and keeping on top of dust. Thankfully not grass (at least as far as I know). At the moment I'm taking a cheaper version of Allegra FX from matsukiyo, same ingredients 120mgフェキソフェナジン.

I also take https://www.flunase.jp nose spray before sleep ,it used to be great for dust, I woke up with clear nose instead of clogged up nose and dry mouth and wife complaining about my snoring. But it became less effective in last few weeks, I suspect it's due to pollen + dust.

Thanks for suggesting ペポタスチン, I will check it out. Also I'm thinking of looking into Sublingual Immunotherapy. My friend did it and he had great results.

I am also subscribed a "mometasone" nasal spray.

I take it in the morning after washing my face, rinsing my eyes and clearing the schnozzle.

Works well for me!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom