What's new

Race The Training Thread

Thanks for the link. Up until now I have been relying on meteoblue. A hardshell jacket would have made a world of difference. If it isn't raining (too much), my 7mesh Corsa is actually miraculously warm. Plus, in my mind end of March = no snow along the coastline. Lesson learnt. ;)

I've restarted pushups, but am not really relying on that program (the 'weeks', etc), just some of the implicit aspects of it. While goals are great, the program (IMO) focuses too much on that x100 goal, while offering little/nothing to someone who would then (or instead) want something ongoing (either before or after achieving 100).

Yes, you can--and I certainly did--repeat weeks. And if you've met the x100 goal or not, you can certainly keep at the schedule of the last week or so indefinitely. But a nice addendum would be some post-goal suggestions.

On the plus side, the best takeaway was the way a series of sets are strung out in difficulty. EG, a series from week 6 is: 40-50-25-25-50+. So at that level you do a couple good warmup sets, then back off a lot for a couple more, and then go till exhaustion on the last set. Tho that may be obvious to some, I was never a weight lifter (still not), and that kind of pacing (since I don't know a better word) was new to me.

So after a good six months off (due to a couple surgeries), I'm feeling good enough to get at this again. Since I first posted about this, I happened to come across this bit of paper, where I'd been keeping track. This is what I was doing up till sept. 10th or so. (every other day, as the program says), so that's about a month there on the paper. And as I said before, I do my pushups from my knees, which is why the numbers look so inflated. (one of my sister's comments was "oh, yeah, you mean girls pushups"!)

If I get to this level again by late summer, I'll be happy. I'm at 5 sets/day now (only 130), and may try to up the per-set numbers this time around instead of doing so many sets each time. ((Also, that same website has similar programs for dips and sit-ups.))

View attachment 19787
Thanks for the comments. I read through the program last night and will try day 1 today. I broke my elbow last year and I still don't have a lot of strength in it so I'm not expecting much from the fitness test.

Thanks for the comments. I read through the program last night and will try day 1 today. I broke my elbow last year and I still don't have a lot of strength in it so I'm not expecting much from the fitness test.
If you want to take it easy on your elbow, skip the 'test' and start at/near the beginning. Besides doing them from your knees (me), you can also use stairs, or a table/desk to change the leverage, even a wall if you want to go really light.

A beautiful day today. The thermal shoe covers were overkill!

The off road loop at training pace with a push on each of the seven segments.

A brief blog entry link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「kashiwazaki off road classic」

today I rode a classic route
60km / 2000m climbing!

it's a beautiful course
I wanted to ride it non stop
but the scenery is so good
you have to take a few photos!

no convenience stores
no vending machines
I forgot my bottle!

luckily there is a fresh water spring at the halfway mark
tastes better than ice cold beer!

on the winding snake climb
I met the first snake of the year
on narrow forest roads
the bunny hop is an important skill!

by the last 2 climbs the legs were gone

before Otaki I want to do this loop
non stop

120km, 4000m up!

here we go!

@jdd
Finished Day 1 of the pushups. I took your advice and started at lowest level. I can barely do 2 pushups and my left elbow was definitely a bit crunchy (no sharp pain though). At least there's a lot of room for improvement. Will try day 2 on Thursday.

Intervals this morning and knackered tonight. First day to try pushups on a ride day instead of a rest day. They did not go well. Didn't make my numbers today. Will try again day 2 regardless and repeat the week if that doesn't work out. Not sure if it really is the morning vo2max efforts or not but I guess it is.

The frustrating thing about trainers?

It's that moment when, after you get on and clip in, you realize that you forgot to push down the lever that engages it to the wheel... :rolleyes:

That's much better than getting a mile down the road and remembering you forgot your water bottle.
Or my helmet. Happens to me a few times each winter when I'm wearing a Buff that gives me the snug-around-the-neck sensation of the helmet's chinstrap. When I realize this halfway down the 12% hill atop which I live, it's a good day.

Seems like I'll be taking a break next week. I'm sort of sick thanks to my two-year-old. I could get the workouts done, but probably it is wiser to just wait until I am on the up-and-up again.

After going the gym religeously, I haven't done weight training since the virus hit.

Climbing off road is good strength training. And I feel the winter gym work transferring to on bike strength. But I think I will give the 100 push ups challenge another shot.

Do it on work's time!

Last week's training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「kashiwazaki off road classic x 3 and two days off」

last week's training blog
I did the kashiwazaki off road classic 3 times last week

60km with 2000m climbing
takes its toll
so I treated myself to 2 days off last week

・monday: kenno rindo
・tuesday: kashiwazaki off road classic
・wednesday: kenno rindo, samizu rindo
・thursday: rest
・friday: kashiwazaki off road classic
・saturday: rest
・sunday: kashiwazaki off road classic

races continue to be cancelled
last year's major targets
june's uchinada TT and niseko TT
both cancelled

so this year's first target
may's SDA otaki 100km looks unlikely

luckily off road riding is keeping me motivated to go out and ride

also lucky to be able to try new kit

new Izemi wheels!
let's see what they can do!

the evolution continues!

https://imezi.jp #imezi #imezi167 #imezisealant #167GRV #プロジェクト167 #gravelproject2020

Did you score a sponsorship?!

Maybe I should buy a cheap gravel bike for CX/commuting/gravel grinders/touring...

Speaking of equipment.... I've been plotting my next bike (first new bike since before I came to Japan in 2010?!) recently, although I am still internally debating how much I am willing to spend. My basic requirements are..... blue..... aero-ish...... disc brakes....deep dish wheels.....and less than 8 kg (ideally under 7.5).... for less than.... 500,000 yen?....

The 2021 Giant TCR is looking pretty good, but at 640,000 yen MSRP, that's probably way higher than my budget unless I can pay for it over two years or so.

OTOH, Wiggle has an 8-kilo bike with Ultegra Di2 for just over 400,000 and the framesets are only about 70,000, which would be very economical in case I total the frame in a crit.

I will probably end up getting a Canyon of some sort.... eventually....

The felt 2020 Felt AR looks great, but it's a little porky for 500,000 yen at 8.5 kilos. OTOH, it would make a decent makeshift TT bike with some aero bars.

On another note, I bailed on my workout after the first of three 20-minute FTP intervals yesterday but I managed to get through four ~19 minute Z3/4 intervals today even though I was originally planning to skip today's workout. And it feels good to have completed it.

@baribari
What kind of bike are you looking for?

Speaking of equipment.... I've been plotting my next bike (first new bike since before I came to Japan in 2010?!) recently, although I am still internally debating how much I am willing to spend. My basic requirements are..... blue..... aero-ish...... disc brakes....deep dish wheels.....and less than 8 kg (ideally under 7.5).... for less than.... 500,000 yen?....
What about 3T's Strada Pro? It weighs a bit more than you want, but it is a hypermodern aero bike, blue, beautiful (at least to my eyes) and costs $3,200. It has a SRAM Force 1 groupset. You could add 3T's carbon 45 mm wheelset for another $2,000 if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. That'd be a cracking bike. You can spend more for a red Strada Force eTap, which costs $4,700, which has carbon contact points, an electronic group set equivalent to Ultegra Di2 and decent wheels. That should come close to 8 kg, I think.

If you don't know whether you can live with a single chain ring up front, you can also go for the Strada Due that has a front derailleur. The Force eTap costs $5,000.

Sorry, if I am fanboying all over this one :D
Fortunately, I was able to test ride one. This thing is a rocket ship.

3T also make the Exploro, which is an aero bike that fits mountain bike tires. So with two wheelsets, you could have a do-it-all bike.

The 2021 Giant TCR is looking pretty good, but at 640,000 yen MSRP, that's probably way higher than my budget unless I can pay for it over two years or so.
I don't want to go by looks alone, but Giant bikes don't do it for me. It's kind of a pity that Cannondale seem to be color blind, because I kinda like their new bikes. And by all accounts, they are great.

Another frameset I can highly recommend is BMC's range, either the Teammachine or the Roadmachine. The Roadmachine is a racier endurance bike, but still plenty quick. The Teammachine's frame is sublime. It is supremely comfortable, likes to carve the corners on descents and is quick. Plus, everyone and their aunt has "copied" their design, with aero features without being an all-out aero bike and the lowered seat stays. (I'm not using "copy" to complain or to badmouth the other companies: they found a great design that seems to be the future of road bikes similar to Giant's insight two decades earlier.) a

On another note, I bailed on my workout after the first of three 20-minute FTP intervals yesterday but I managed to get through four ~19 minute Z3/4 intervals today even though I was originally planning to skip today's workout. And it feels good to have completed it.
Keep at it. I had to backpedal during the last workouts, too. But I got them done, which is what counts.

OTOH, Wiggle has an 8-kilo bike with Ultegra Di2 for just over 400,000 and the framesets are only about 70,000, which would be very economical in case I total the frame in a crit.

I will probably end up getting a Canyon of some sort.... eventually....

The felt 2020 Felt AR looks great, but it's a little porky for 500,000 yen at 8.5 kilos. OTOH, it would make a decent makeshift TT bike with some aero bars.

You can get a SystemSix for 490,000. Aero features aplenty. Beefy carbon wheels. But only mechanical Ultegra and not in blue.

@baribari
What kind of bike are you looking for?

What about 3T's Strada Pro? It weighs a bit more than you want, but it is a hypermodern aero bike, blue, beautiful (at least to my eyes) and costs $3,200. It has a SRAM Force 1 groupset. You could add 3T's carbon 45 mm wheelset for another $2,000 if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. That'd be a cracking bike. You can spend more for a red Strada Force eTap, which costs $4,700, which has carbon contact points, an electronic group set equivalent to Ultegra Di2 and decent wheels. That should come close to 8 kg, I think.

If you don't know whether you can live with a single chain ring up front, you can also go for the Strada Due that has a front derailleur. The Force eTap costs $5,000.

Sorry, if I am fanboying all over this one :D
Fortunately, I was able to test ride one. This thing is a rocket ship.

3T also make the Exploro, which is an aero bike that fits mountain bike tires. So with two wheelsets, you could have a do-it-all bike.

I don't want to go by looks alone, but Giant bikes don't do it for me. It's kind of a pity that Cannondale seem to be color blind, because I kinda like their new bikes. And by all accounts, they are great.

Another frameset I can highly recommend is BMC's range, either the Teammachine or the Roadmachine. The Roadmachine is a racier endurance bike, but still plenty quick. The Teammachine's frame is sublime. It is supremely comfortable, likes to carve the corners on descents and is quick. Plus, everyone and their aunt has "copied" their design, with aero features without being an all-out aero bike and the lowered seat stays. (I'm not using "copy" to complain or to badmouth the other companies: they found a great design that seems to be the future of road bikes similar to Giant's insight two decades earlier.) a

Keep at it. I had to backpedal during the last workouts, too. But I got them done, which is what counts.
The owners of the local bike shop in my hometown both ride Stradas, actually, and they're absurdly fast, although the whole region is basically pan-flat.

I'm too heavy not to have at least a 36/30 riding in Japan, though. Haha.
But the price isn't totally out of the question... if anything $3,000 is probably about the most I can actually afford.

Ideally I need something that either takes a 30 mm crank so I can easily reuse my powermeter or comes with a power meter, which is why the Giant is appealing.

I do prefer the look traditional frames like the previous generation of Cannondale (and my CAAD9), but you can't deny that compact frames with dropped chainstays that are currently the rage aren't lighter and more comfortable.

You can get a SystemSix for 490,000. Aero features aplenty. Beefy carbon wheels. But only mechanical Ultegra and not in blue.

I am definitely interested in the SystemSix and the new SuperSix, but if I am gonna spend 500,000+ I'd ideally like electronic shifting and/or a power meter. The direct-to-consumer brands are pretty appealing, price-wise.

Here the Giant Propel seems to be very popular.
And it comes in blue (at least in Germany).

A friend bought an Airstreeem Triple EEE.
It at least has some blue on it.

There are so many nice bikes. I'm sure you'll find the one for you.

The owners of the local bike shop in my hometown both ride Stradas, actually, and they're absurdly fast, although the whole region is basically pan-flat.

I'm too heavy not to have at least a 36/30 riding in Japan, though. Haha.
You could either change the chain ring to a 40, which gives you a 40:33 = 1.21. Or you save up a little more and go for the Due that comes with 35:33 = 1.06 as its lowest gear.

For $3,200 it is a great value. I'm shallow, so I want a Strada in red. Otherwise, I would have ordered the Pro. (Funny story, last week there was a charity sale on 3T's website, and I was thinking of getting the Pro. My wife immediately replied: "Nope. Because you really want the red one, so you will end up selling it and get the one you really want." Touché.)

I do prefer the look traditional frames like the previous generation of Cannondale (and my CAAD9), but you can't deny that compact frames with dropped chainstays that are currently the rage aren't lighter and more comfortable.
If you don't mind the weird color scheme (why, Cannondale, why?), a CAAD13 is actually a great option. It isn't much heavier than a carbon bike, has received rave reviews, has all the aero benefits of its carbon sibling and is affordable. You could really just get, say, the 105 disc version and upgrade it over time. (I've seen one guy with a CAAD10 black series and DuraAce components, which seems like a great bike TBH.)

Another option along the same lines is BMC's aluminum Teammachine. The wheels that come with it are not great, but those can be upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom