What's new

Race The Training Thread

no weight squats に対する画像結果

Even with no weight, sets of 50 squats in front of the TV is a killer.
I got one word for you: pistol squats.

That would be two words but yeah!

Great for balance and strengthening those minor stabilizing muscles.

The one legged squat with the unweighted leg on a bench as pictured in the Vs picture above is also good in this respect.

Another thing to mention is don't worry about ''ass to the grass''. In the gym lots of people go down really deep. This really brings all the muscles into play.

However, if you are training specifically for cycling, you only need to get your upper leg / lower leg angle to 90 degrees (actually you don't even have to go that far) to mimic the demands of the pedal stroke.

Andy

I tried them, but I think I'm maybe a little too heavy for that at the moment...

I was supposed to do a 2-hour endurance trainer ride, but this damned popping noise that happens when I press down on the right pedal distracted me. So I spend half an hour trying to see if it wasn't my headset bearings (my bike seems to ruin them very quickly.... I am on my third or forth set), since pressing hard on the bars seems to reduce the noise. But I can't see why it would only do it on one side. And then I went pulled and reinstalled my crank since I can feel a bit of side play when I try to twist the arms. And of course, there's the worn out pedal bearings, but I can't imagine they could cause that much noise. Of course, my BB has been removed and installed a few times, so those bearings are suspect as well... And my trainer also keeps wearing down my dropouts for some reason... Sigh...

I also noticed that my pedals seem to have quite a bit less float (especially the left side) and quite a bit more side-to-side play than I think they should. This is probably because of how worn down they are. Guess I need to find some gently-used PD9100s...

On the upside, doing a bit of stretching seems to have greatly reduced my knee issues.

I was just sitting in my office chair and got a notion to measure my heart rate.... it was 47. lol

I also think I may have solved my bike noises and possibly also my saddle problem. The noise was either the trainer or improper crank preload. I think the saddle maybe have just been a mm too high, causing my sit bones to move around every so slightly.

I'm not as heavy, and I still find them very, very hard, especially with my left leg. I hate them, but they work. Just getting the form right is hard — I'm still working on it.

Shows you how much my PhD in math is worth! :lol:

I'll try them after I can squat 200 pounds... since that's basically what it would require.

Sitting at the beach eating ice cream. Is it really Feruary?!

The usual weekly training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「engine building」

after two years of focusing on short TTs
this year I will focus on long off road events

in order to be competitive I need to:
1. build a big engine
2. learn how to climb again

last week I focused on no.1
engine building

long rides
and zone 3 work

monday: zwift, gym
tuesday: road 100km tempo
wednesday: road 85km tempo
thursday: CX
friday: road 100km tempo
saturday: road 50km tempo
sunday: kakuda CX (plan)

each long ride
I can feel the legs coming stronger
trying to turn strength gained at the gym this winter
into power on the bike

tomorrow is a local CX race at kakuda

a 100km TT next weekend

and fukushima CX the weekend after

here we go!

This week on the trainer felt great so far. Today was a very difficult workout (3 sets of 4 x (1 minute@95 % + 2 minutes@105%)), and I had to backpedal four times. But I got the workout done without reducing the intensity, so I take this to be a win. I have another workout tomorrow, 3 x 20 minutes at 90+% intensity. I'm still considering my options: I shouldn't be too greedy and the the hardest variant (which ends at 99 %), psychologically I am not there yet.

Next week I have a rest week, and I am looking forward to a few more relaxed workouts that give me some extra time to listen to podcast and the news.

Last Monday morning I decided that since my foot was out of action, I'd try start some upper body stuff. Figured push ups were a good idea. Since it has been a while since I've done anything other than lift my kids I figured I'd start with 4 sets of 10, 8, 6 and 4 for a total of 20. I did that 3 times; one regular; one wide and one narrow. I couldn't make the 8 narrow, so finished them on my knees before dropping to my face and having to roll over to get back up. Felt I had gone a bit far into the pain zone to finish these. I'm still paying for it. LOL. Tuesday hurt big time all over. Initially enjoyed it as it felt good knowing that I'd hit so many muscles. However triceps were gone... Taking off a sweater was hard - real hard. Wednesday was just as sore. Thursday finally a little less but still nowhere near normal. Its Saturday now, I'm still sore front of shoulders. Got pain in my right elbow somewhere inside and triceps while they have recovered tell me they need another day or two. Not sure when I turned into such a whuss. Perhaps a slower start this time so I can at least be more regular.

I feel I should mention that I can already feel the benefit of doing core exercises on the bike after just a few days. Haha.

You will notice even more when you ride outside I'm sure. Arms and shoulders work will also benefit you in keeping a good position and holding it for longer and longer. Keep at it!

Andy

Last Monday morning I decided that since my foot was out of action, I'd try start some upper body stuff. Figured push ups were a good idea. Since it has been a while since I've done anything other than lift my kids I figured I'd start with 4 sets of 10, 8, 6 and 4 for a total of 20. I did that 3 times; one regular; one wide and one narrow. I couldn't make the 8 narrow, so finished them on my knees before dropping to my face and having to roll over to get back up. Felt I had gone a bit far into the pain zone to finish these. I'm still paying for it. LOL. Tuesday hurt big time all over. Initially enjoyed it as it felt good knowing that I'd hit so many muscles. However triceps were gone... Taking off a sweater was hard - real hard. Wednesday was just as sore. Thursday finally a little less but still nowhere near normal. Its Saturday now, I'm still sore front of shoulders. Got pain in my right elbow somewhere inside and triceps while they have recovered tell me they need another day or two. Not sure when I turned into such a whuss. Perhaps a slower start this time so I can at least be more regular.

It always hurts after the first session. For me, after time away, it takes usually 3 sessions before I'm not sore afterwards.

For the first few sessions of strength work you have to be really strict with yourself and don't do too much. After that you can pile it on progressively.

Don't give up!

Andy

A local race on the Kakuda Trail today.

Nice to get the legs out and get a proper sweat on!

A short report link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

getting faster?

the rai rai cup today
kakuda super long x 3

the second time to enter this race
last time I was dead last

so lots of room for improvement!

set off in the first group
a shock to the head (hungover)
a shock to the legs (no warm up)

second man
I take up pole position on the climb

two riders on my wheel
nothing like pressure from behind

still I clip out on the sakurazaka climb

but it's the only mistake I make for 3 laps

close to my PB for the first two laps

fade a little on the third

50 minutes is hard at this intensity

17:27 17:28 17:45

a good ride
happy with my progress

after the race some more coaching from noguchi san

advice from behind

"pedal! pedal! don't rest here!"

crash twice as I look for those extra seconds

the target has to be sub 17 minutes

will do my best!

kakuda trail
thank you for a great event!

looking forward to the next one already!

How far have you got with it?

I tried it a few years ago. It works well I found?

Think I pulled the plug before 100 though😅

Andy
>> Warning: my numbers seem unreal since I do the pushups from my knees (foot problems).

I tried to transform it from the x100 goal into an ongoing program. Like what would I want to do 3x/week indefinitely, but tick it up a little along the way. In spite of some hospitalizations last year, I peaked in early september doing a total of ~500 spread over 10 sets. The first few sets I'd do 30-40, then 50-55, then drop to 30-40 for a few more sets. Then the last two sets were usually 65-70. Besides 'cheating' and doing them from my knees, I also would wait 5-10min between sets (longer than suggested).

It's been too long a break and I need to get re-started. I tried five sets of 20 maybe 6-7 weeks after surgery (pic below)--it was fine/easy when doing them, but then over the following days I seriously felt it. Ugh. But maybe to be expected with that kind of slice between the ribs (and then different surgery last month, ...my never-ending story)

One key point when I get going on it again will be some complementary things, maybe situps and something else. Do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_105517212.jpg
    IMG_20190915_105517212.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 7
>> Warning: my numbers seem unreal since I do the pushups from my knees (foot problems).

I tried to transform it from the x100 goal into an ongoing program. Like what would I want to do 3x/week indefinitely, but tick it up a little along the way. In spite of some hospitalizations last year, I peaked in early september doing a total of ~500 spread over 10 sets. The first few sets I'd do 30-40, then 50-55, then drop to 30-40 for a few more sets. Then the last two sets were usually 65-70. Besides 'cheating' and doing them from my knees, I also would wait 5-10min between sets (longer than suggested).

It's been too long a break and I need to get re-started. I tried five sets of 20 maybe 6-7 weeks after surgery (pic below)--it was fine/easy when doing them, but then over the following days I seriously felt it. Ugh. But maybe to be expected with that kind of slice between the ribs (and then different surgery last month, ...my never-ending story)

One key point when I get going on it again will be some complementary things, maybe situps and something else. Do you have any suggestions?

Very impressive!

I'm not a physical trainer, so this is only my opinion.

In terms of supplementary things. I think it is important to do a full body workout, ie. legs, core and upper body.

It is okay to have a bias, eg. more focus on the legs if you are focusing on cycling.

Multi muscle exercises are more effective too. So a push up over a combination of biceps curl, triceps extension, shoulder press etc.

So if you are doing it at home, I would say a nice routine of push ups, squats, sit ups and back extensions would be good. Multi muscle exercises, covering most of the body.

Aim for slow steady progress. This can be in terms of the number of repetitions and the number of sets.

Switching between different exercises instead of rest is good.

eg. squats ~ push ups ~ sit ups ... as opposed to push ups ~ push ups ~ push ups...~

This can also add a bit of a cardio workout effect too.

But you shouldn't make cardio the main goal assuming you are getting that from cycling, jogging, swimming etc.

But yeah, start small, aim big is always good advice. And of course getting into a good routine.

Good luck!

Andy

Had a great week of training last week. I even did the +2 variant of Galena where I have to do 3x20 minutes at 95 %, 97 % and 99 % of my FTP. My power was on point, and even if the last interval was mentally taxing (after one minute I wanted to backpedal), I knew I could do it physically and pushed through. I felt great afterwards. The drop after the last interval is just due to me extending the cool down, which mean I have to stop pedaling for a second. My legs felt pretty tired afterwards and I can still feel a tingle. (I love that feeling!)

This week is a rest week, which means I can get a little more sleep and catch up on my beloved Hardcore History podcast.

Back
Top Bottom