What's new

Race The Training Thread

What's a URI?
Upper respiratory infection.
Shifters, headsets etc are usually pretty straightforward for a good mechanic with lots of spares.
Yeah, and the timing is quite good given my two-week trip for Chile. However, I dread having to shell out money for a new shifter, given Shimano's prices here in Japan. But in any case, I know my bike is in good hands: the boss of the shop is a former pro team mechanic and our team has relations with this shop. (There are essentially two shops that cater to the serious enthusiast market, and our team boss is smart enough to have good relations to both.)

What kind of shifter?

I may have something but I threw out a load of old parts just recently😱

Andy

I used to aim for 75kg when I was doing hillclimbs seriously. Back then I could podium in big hillclimbs like Norikura or Kusatsu.

But I think it is at a different level now, and I'd probably need the same power and to be 70kg or so.

Like you say, you can carry more weight for the TT.

I've added 6kg in muscle through gym work. And I aim for about 80kg now.

I recommend decent Tanita scales to get a proper understanding of your body composition.

For me, 80kg is great for flat and rolling terrain. But I've sacrificed my climbing ability altogether!

In terms of nutrition, I just try to fuel as much as I burn. I'm a vegetarian and I try to eat healthy.

Beer is my only sin really! So I have to get up early to burn it off!

Andy
I'm not gyming it at the moment, but I have been enjoying a bit of yoga stretching before bed. I'm determined to finally improve my flexibility / core strength. To be honest. I'd like to start running again seriously and I'm hoping that it will help the calf pain I get when I run fast (for me). I also read about how important the core is for climbing on the bike. Anyway, been about a month and I'm happy with my progress so far (I can touch my toes again!!!). Just need to do another couple of months to make it a proper habit.

Upper respiratory infection.

Yeah, and the timing is quite good given my two-week trip for Chile. However, I dread having to shell out money for a new shifter, given Shimano's prices here in Japan. But in any case, I know my bike is in good hands: the boss of the shop is a former pro team mechanic and our team has relations with this shop. (There are essentially two shops that cater to the serious enthusiast market, and our team boss is smart enough to have good relations to both.)
How much do you pay for your STIs in your home country? The R7000 105 STIs on Amazon Japan are 2,000 yen cheaper than at Chain Reaction Cycles - based on pound to yen exchange rate if that makes a difference.

How much do you pay for your STIs in your home country? The R7000 105 STIs on Amazon Japan are 2,000 yen cheaper than at Chain Reaction Cycles - based on pound to yen exchange rate if that makes a difference.
A single shifter goes for 120 €, i. e. about 14,000 ¥. On Amazon the same lever costs 16,600 ¥. The pair costs 235 € on bike24.com, about 28,000 ¥, which is 8,000 ¥ less than Amazon.co.jp.

I also read about how important the core is for climbing on the bike. Anyway, been about a month and I'm happy with my progress so far (I can touch my toes again!!!). Just need to do another couple of months to make it a proper habit.
Not just for climbing, also when you get in an aggressive aero position, you need your core muscles to keep your balance on the bike and apply power.

I managed to get a ride in an outside ride yesterday despite the typhoon (although not today due to rain). As usual I headed out with the intent to do 100+ km, 1500+ m epic but end up doing just under two hours because I didn't eat anywhere near enough for breakfast and didn't bother to eat the gels I was carrying. Hehehe. OTOH, the increased RPE and fat burning of underfed rides probably has its benefits...

I am starting to realized how important close gear ratios are when you are trying to maintain a very narrow range of wattages. That is probably why TT bikes tend to be 11-25. So I think that I might be better off just getting a 34 chainring so I can keep my close gear ratios. It would end up costing about the same, if not less, than buying a new derailleur and cassette, although I'll have to be careful to avoid cross-chaining. Although I wonder if I can't just buy a longer cage (oversized pulley systems cost more than a new 105 derailleur, though).

It's getting close to taper time for my next event.

I find tapers to be a work in progress. Gradually getting better and better at them. Which is important. Especially as I get older.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「4 days hard / 10 days taper」

japan masters time trial on the 27th

I've been training hard for this event for a few weeks now

this week has been more of the same

>monday 20km TT (solo), tempo
>tuesday 20km TT (solo), CX
>wednesday 30km TT (2 up), volume
>thursday 30km TT (2 up), gym (plan)

the legs are heavy
the heart rate sluggish
deep in fatigue

now is the time to rest
cut the volume
a little intensity to maintain the fitness
and bring out the form

a 10 day taper

as usual
working back from race day

>sunday 27 race
>saturday 26 course check, pipe openers
>friday 25 rest, travel
>thursday 24 1min x 4
>wednesday 23 1min x 5
>tuesday 22 race simulation>monday 21 rest
>sunday 20 1min x 6
>saturday 19 1min x 7
>friday 18 rest

if all goes well
I'll be firing on all cylinders on race day

here we go!

I managed to get a ride in an outside ride yesterday despite the typhoon (although not today due to rain). As usual I headed out with the intent to do 100+ km, 1500+ m epic but end up doing just under two hours because I didn't eat anywhere near enough for breakfast and didn't bother to eat the gels I was carrying. Hehehe. OTOH, the increased RPE and fat burning of underfed rides probably has its benefits...
You'd burn more net calories if you fueled your workouts correctly. What and how much did you eat?
I personally like to eat muesli with milk for breakfast on days like that. I usually add maple syrup and dried fruits to increase the amount of simple sugars, and metabolizes more quickly. Plus, it's quick.

A small bowl of granola with milk.
Muesli has, in my experience, more staying power due to being higher in slowly releasing carbs, especially if it has a lot of oats in it. In principle, you could just eat oats with fruits, etc., but I find that a bit too bland. The added dried fruits and maple syrup give you a bit more immediate punch. Also, perhaps you should increase your serving size a little.

I have booked a mountain bike tour tomorrow, and I am soooo looking forward to it. I am still a bit sick and jet lagged, but I went for a run this morning and it was fine.

yesterday I was reminded that racing is hard. hehehe.

I just looked at my time for the Japan Cup climb. I am exactly half as fast as the KOM. but I was almost twice as fast as I was in April...

Am I crazy for thinking that electrolyte and carb intake actually matters in a race that's only 45 minutes? I felt great during the parade lap right before the race when I was carb loaded but basically crap after just one race lap.

yesterday I was reminded that racing is hard. hehehe.

I just looked at my time for the Japan Cup climb. I am exactly half as fast as the KOM. but I was almost twice as fast as I was in April...

Am I crazy for thinking that electrolyte and carb intake actually matters in a race that's only 45 minutes? I felt great during the parade lap right before the race when I was carb loaded but basically crap after just one race lap.

I've always thought the Japan Cup was one of the hardest races as it has a bit of everything. I also found it hard to be in peak condition for a road race this late in the year.

Last time I went was 2013. That blog here if anyone is interested.

For nutrition, I always try to have a normal breakfast 3h before start time.

Then some light things as I warm up. Usually a banana 30mins before.

During a road race I try to eat every 20minutes. On a circuit race I plan where and when to eat.

For the JC I would eat each lap in the middle of the long straight flat at the bottom of the course.

For racing I find lots of people regret not eating enough. But few regret eating too much.

Also sticking with what you know for drinks and gels is a golden rule.

Anyway, good ride and hope you'll challenge it again next year.

Andy

I had two heaping bowls of rice at 5 a.m. and mashed potatoes the night before. I felt great during the opening lap, but I really wanted to have a gel before the race. Unfortunately my girlfriend had my bag with the gel on it and I couldn't find her.... oh, well. Some salt candy would have been a good idea.

My weight was a little low, so I suspect I wasn't 100 carb loaded.

I think part of my problem was grinding at 50-60 rpms and 300+ watts on the uphills, which tore my legs to shreds. Once I could spin it wasn't so hard to put out reasonable power.

on the second lap I was clearing my throat at about 96 decibels.... haha

It seems to me you weren't geared properly: 50-60 rpm on a road bike (or any bike) will tire our your muscles as it stresses your muscles rather than your cardio vascular system. I was reminded of this today when I ground myself up the Chilean mountains.

Back
Top Bottom