What's new

Race The Training Thread

Short report on last week's JBCF race at Harimachuo Park. Another cycling circuit next to a cycle park! Japan seems to have an endless supply of these. Not complaining though, a bit of course variety is always a good thing. Can't be racing Gunma every weekend.
Could you imagine? I will always think it's one of the greatest tragedies that Japan has so many beautiful roads perfectly suited to road racing but the circuits are what they are. I know there's a lot of risk aversion and probably worry about inconveniencing the local (elderly) population out in the countryside... but :( - It's good to hear that the racing is going well and your wrist is on the mend.

Here's where I ended my pursuit of higher fitness. I had originally planned to carry through to May 6th, but after a 20 hour week I decided to pull the plug a day early so I took a rest day yesterday and my taper officially started. The last month has been a big challenge physically & mentally, but I've learned a lot. This week will be a real rest week and then next week I'll add intensity back in, but with a lower overall volume.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 18-10-15 TrainingPeaks - Plan your training track your workouts and m...pngScreenshot 2024-05-05 at 18-18-24 TrainingPeaks - Plan your training track your workouts and m...png
Just ignore the 5s and 1m powers....

A 3-week road trip is something I bet everyone wishes they could do but never does. Great way to spend the summer hols.
We're looking forward to it! My wife and I have a few "rules" which include doing something if we feel like it might be the last chance we have to do it & doing something every year that scares us. I guess that's kind of how we ended up here in Japan and why we're off to the Netherlands later on. I think one day we'll settle down though.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 18-10-15 TrainingPeaks - Plan your training track your workouts and m...png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 18-10-15 TrainingPeaks - Plan your training track your workouts and m...png
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
Congratulations to @GrantT on 3rd at Oiso!

I did E3. My first crit in Japan, first real crit since I was a kid. I was caught behind a crash on the first lap. Partly my fault for not being further up in the pack at that point. However, in the heat of the moment I didn't even think about taking a neutral lap. Sprinted to catch the group, blew my top, sort of hung-on/tailgunned for 5 laps and then DNFed.

Very frustrating because I know I had the legs to stay with the group. But, now I know about neutral laps, right? Whoops.

Could you imagine? I will always think it's one of the greatest tragedies that Japan has so many beautiful roads perfectly suited to road racing but the circuits are what they are. I know there's a lot of risk aversion and probably worry about inconveniencing the local (elderly) population out in the countryside... but :( - It's good to hear that the racing is going well and your wrist is on the mend.

What they need to do is re-badge road racing as road keirin, get old guys betting on it, and by next year road keirin will be one of the richest sports in Japan with events all over the place.

Congratulations to @GrantT on 3rd at Oiso!

Thanks! Broke away alone near the start, then fell back into a chasing break after a few laps. Didn't believe we were going to stay away but somehow the gap to the main group kept growing. A clearer head could have got me first place but happy to get on the podium.

Back
Top Bottom