What's new

Race The Training Thread

Finally got my team situation figured out! I'll be joining up with some local guys. My only goals at the moment are still Ibukiyama & Ontake Hill Climbs. Ibukiyama will be my "B" event. A nice trial climb that's 2/3rds the length of Ontake. Ontake will be my "A" race and a fun opportunity for an hour long TT. Hopefully I can beat my time from last year. Doesn't hurt that Kiso may be the most beautiful place I've been in Japan. I've been back a few times now and it's always nice to spend time there.

But, who knows, maybe I'll drop into a road race for fun if the opportunity comes up. Feels nice to have a little bit of pressure to show up to an event and perform.

First race of the year coming up at JBCF Moka Haga.

Coming in with ~85 CTL, ~4.1 w/kg. My only goals are to not fall and not to get dropped (but it's an E2/E3 combined field so that'll be hard). We'll see how it goes. Should be a few people participating from SNEL, anyone else going?

I noticed this year's Rapha Prestige is in Yokohama in September.

It was a great event 2 year's ago.

FB_IMG_1709121091630.jpg

I really enjoyed that 4 member team format so I kind of copied it for the summer event here in Kashiwazaki with a team category 2 day "Traverse Kashiwazaki" for 2, 3 or 4 member teams at a discounted rate.

But yeah, Rapha Prestige is a good fun event to train for!

Andy

It's amazing what consistent and structured training can do. Before I bought my smart trainer and starting doing workouts on Zwift, I was afraid I'd "mikka bozu" and then I'd have a $900 paperweight, as was the case with my Minoura rollers. Nope. Turns out I actually love training as long as I get real numerical feedback on my effort and progress.

Now I wish I had got a power meter or a smart trainer years ago. Let's just say that the wattage that was hard to do for 10 minutes when I started is now roughly the top end of Z2.

After I drop a few more KGs I plan on racing. I might already be ready for a pancake flat race, but those are far and few between in Japan.

I have actually almost entirely stopped riding outside because indoor training is so much more convenient. I guess I need to buy a power meter.

Anyway..... anyone else is doing structured training of some sort? What sort of gains have you made?
As much as I love riding outside, indoor training definitely has its merits.
I use a Kickr Core with TrainerRoad.
The workouts are excellent and really target all areas of my cycling well. For endurance though, I like to do that outside.
Doing 2/3 sweet spot and threshold interval workouts a week 30m-60mins each, definitely has a positive impact that I can feel on the road: better technique, sustained power, less fatigue etc.
Indoor training has definitely come a long way since it began and I think a lot of riders have a negative perception of it. Plus it's HARD and takes a lot of focus and motivation, but I love it.

First race of the year coming up at JBCF Moka Haga.

Coming in with ~85 CTL, ~4.1 w/kg. My only goals are to not fall and not to get dropped (but it's an E2/E3 combined field so that'll be hard). We'll see how it goes. Should be a few people participating from SNEL, anyone else going?
That event is on my "maybe for fun" shortlist. The course looks more interesting than the other JBCF events I did last year. But, it's a lot of travel from Ishikawa.

But yeah, Rapha Prestige is a good fun event to train for!

Andy

I wanted to do one of these in North America, but it ended up getting cancelled. They look like neat events. Rapha did a Women's Prestige ride that was up and around Noto, finishing on the Uchinada track here in town. It would be cool they can do that one again one day.

That event is on my "maybe for fun" shortlist. The course looks more interesting than the other JBCF events I did last year. But, it's a lot of travel from Ishikawa.

I wanted to do one of these in North America, but it ended up getting cancelled. They look like neat events. Rapha did a Women's Prestige ride that was up and around Noto, finishing on the Uchinada track here in town. It would be cool they can do that one again one day.
Likewise the Uchinada RR / TT. That was a great event.

Andy

Took a few weeks off to visit Brazil, haven't been there in a while.
Did a few rides with my friends, but it's been raining a lot lately and i got sick during my last week there.
Got back to Japan right back on the bike, now im trying to get the volume back. Numbers don't look good right now..
My "A Race" is Haruna Hill Climb on May, but im not sure if i will hit my targets until then. Ideally, i should be slightly above 4w/kg.

Also, while in Brazil, i had a proper blood work done, showing me terrifying low levels of vit D and Iron. I hope thats the excuse I needed to justify my bad performances last couple years

Took a few weeks off to visit Brazil, haven't been there in a while.
Did a few rides with my friends, but it's been raining a lot lately and i got sick during my last week there.
Got back to Japan right back on the bike, now im trying to get the volume back. Numbers don't look good right now..
My "A Race" is Haruna Hill Climb on May, but im not sure if i will hit my targets until then. Ideally, i should be slightly above 4w/kg.

Also, while in Brazil, i had a proper blood work done, showing me terrifying low levels of vit D and Iron. I hope thats the excuse I needed to justify my bad performances last couple years
Hope you'll be feeling better soon! Lots of cliches out there that I'm sure you've heard about numbers going up and down. You'll get back to where you want to be!

Interesting to hear about your blood work. Are you vegan / vegetarian? I have a friend back home that gets some kind of prescribed iron injection. He's vegan and pretty on top of his diet, but still anemic. It kind of "tops off" his iron levels to what's normal.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon! Lots of cliches out there that I'm sure you've heard about numbers going up and down. You'll get back to where you want to be!

Interesting to hear about your blood work. Are you vegan / vegetarian? I have a friend back home that gets some kind of prescribed iron injection. He's vegan and pretty on top of his diet, but still anemic. It kind of "tops off" his iron levels to what's normal.

Yeah, I know it's a game of patience and slowly building the fitness back up.

Ive been vegan for like 20 years now. Never had any problems until my last months in Brazil. Probably the small changes in my diet (less beans and lots of tofu) have something to do with it.
The anual check up we get at work simply isn't enough to detect those things 😬
My prescription was also for a few iron injections, but I don't know how I would get it in Japan. So I went with pills (which were on an alternative prescription). I hope to get back to normal soon.
Dylan Johnson recently made a video about how iron impacts performance. Looks like something i should have kept an eye on sooner

Yeah, I know it's a game of patience and slowly building the fitness back up.

Ive been vegan for like 20 years now. Never had any problems until my last months in Brazil. Probably the small changes in my diet (less beans and lots of tofu) have something to do with it.
The anual check up we get at work simply isn't enough to detect those things 😬
My prescription was also for a few iron injections, but I don't know how I would get it in Japan. So I went with pills (which were on an alternative prescription). I hope to get back to normal soon.
Dylan Johnson recently made a video about how iron impacts performance. Looks like something i should have kept an eye on sooner
Haha, I forgot that Dylan is vegan too. I used to ride with him some and race against him quite a bit in the local gravel scene. It's so funny that he's now kind of a household cycling name.

Hopefully the pills can get you sorted out. I know it can be a long process to build your iron levels back up. My friend back home would have to get the injections somewhat regularly because inevitably his levels would drop over time.

Being vegan takes some real dedication, especially with a high training load. Super impressive you've been doing it for a couple of decades. I took the nutritionally easy way out, was lacto-ovo-vegetarian for ~10 years, then pescetarian, and now I'm occaisionally eating meat. When I started tracking my diet I learned I wasn't ever really doing vegetarian "properly", haha. Whoops.

IMG_3584.JPG IMG_3619.jpg 004F0A73-9B77-40E0-82BB-8CD65C1062B0.JPG

Some throw-back podium photos with George Hincapie, Tinker Juarez & Dylan. When I was decent at racing gravel in the US south-east. Very thankful for wide angle podiums. This was the year before the Lifetime Grandprix started. Local series had a good calendar of events with a decent payout.

I was even able to get one of their races hosted at the property I was living on for a couple of years. Fun to be able to ride down the mountain to the start line. Not fun to have to do a big river crossing at the finish.

My wife is looking to get a helmet and sunglasses, but wants to get western/non-asian fit.

Previously I used Wiggle to order overseas/imported cycling gear, but obv now that's dead. Anyone got a good source for non-AF helmets/sunglasses.

My wife is looking to get a helmet and sunglasses, but wants to get western/non-asian fit.

Previously I used Wiggle to order overseas/imported cycling gear, but obv now that's dead. Anyone got a good source for non-AF helmets/sunglasses.
I suggest taking a look at Kask helmets. They don't make specific western fit or Asian fit helmets and instead design the retention system to cover various head shapes. Having read online that Kask helmets have a rounder shape compared to "western fit" helmets, I was skeptical they'd fit my egg shaped head, but I tried one on and it was actually very comfortable. Now I own one. I believe Met helmets don't make specific western fit or Asian fit helmets either (perhaps just some models) but I haven't explored that option.
There's quite a few sunglasses that come with both "western" and "asian" nosepads. Some models of Oakley and Koo sunglasses definitely do.

I've been ordering stuff from Canyon. It takes a bit of time and you do need to pay tax here in Japan. I bought my Oakleys from there because Japan's amazon is filled with knock-offs from what I could see. They carry Abus helmets too.

I currently have a Poc helmet and it's "Asian Fit". I tried on a bunch of helmets and for me the difference seemed to be exaggerated and I just needed to size down. Normally wear a medium, but a Small Asian Fit Poc fit just as well. No idea about sunglasses though.

I currently have a Poc helmet and it's "Asian Fit". I tried on a bunch of helmets and for me the difference seemed to be exaggerated and I just needed to size down. Normally wear a medium, but a Small Asian Fit Poc fit just as well.

Just a note about this. POC western fit and Asian fit helmets cover different size ranges. For example, Ventral Air sizing is:

Standard (western) fit
S - 50-56cm
M - 54-59cm
L - 56-61cm

Wide (Asian) fit
S- 55-58cm
M - 59-61cm

Just a note about this. POC western fit and Asian fit helmets cover different size ranges. For example, Ventral Air sizing is:

Standard (western) fit
S - 50-56cm
M - 54-59cm
L - 56-61cm

Wide (Asian) fit
S- 55-58cm
M - 59-61cm
Yep, which is why I mentioned I tried them on in person, and sized down.

The S Asian Fit is basically an M Standard. So if you normally wear an M, like I do, an S Asian Fit will probably be OK.

Just bought this UVEX helmet off Amazon.

8,000 or so yen and next day delivery.

Really happy with it.

20240309_165513.jpg

Good for the housework too!

Andy

Haha, I forgot that Dylan is vegan too. I used to ride with him some and race against him quite a bit in the local gravel scene. It's so funny that he's now kind of a household cycling name.

Hopefully the pills can get you sorted out. I know it can be a long process to build your iron levels back up. My friend back home would have to get the injections somewhat regularly because inevitably his levels would drop over time.

Being vegan takes some real dedication, especially with a high training load. Super impressive you've been doing it for a couple of decades. I took the nutritionally easy way out, was lacto-ovo-vegetarian for ~10 years, then pescetarian, and now I'm occaisionally eating meat. When I started tracking my diet I learned I wasn't ever really doing vegetarian "properly", haha. Whoops.
I've been vegetarian since a child.

Pro Mountain athlete Yuki Ikeda is a vegan and his wife Sayako has some published books on vegan cooking for athletes.

They both look great on that diet!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom