What's new

Race The Training Thread

I finally got around to trying out Joyfit and it turns out they have much better equipment I ever expected.
Lightyears better than any other gyms around here, which don't even have squat racks, and the machines don't have nearly as much weight.
It also have the benefit of being available whenever.
Plus, there's a sauna... for that natural EPO hit, haha.
Now I wish I had gone earlier...

On another note, Andy, do you forgo squats and concentrate on lunges since they're more relevant to cycling? I found myself out of breath just doing a handful of squats with 80 kg (assuming the bar was 20 kg). And they weren't even particularly deep.

Last edited:
I finally got around to trying out Joyfit and it turns out they have much better equipment I ever expected.
Lightyears better than any other gyms around here, which don't even have squat racks, and the machines don't have nearly as much weight.
It also have the benefit of being available whenever.
Plus, there's a sauna... for that natural EPO hit, haha.
Now I wish I had gone earlier...

On another note, Andy, do you forgo squats and concentrate on lunges since they're more relevant to cycling? I found myself out of breath just doing a handful of squats with 80 kg (assuming the bar was 20 kg). And they weren't even particularly deep.
I did lunges because I wanted to correct left and right leg imbalances. Which I have now pretty much done. However there is some thought that squats are better for this as long as you do them with good form.

Which is the point. Form is everything. I found I could do much better form with the lunge by just concentrating on one leg at a time.

For the actual motion, you don't have to go too deep if you want specificity for cycling. I try to mimic the cycling pedal stroke.

If you are starting out lifting, you should use a weight that you can do 15 to 20 times for 3 to 5 sets.

In my first off season session, I did lunges 50kg x 15 x 10 sets (5 each leg).

Slow progression is important. Gradually increase the weight, reduce the reps.

Routine is also important. I've been going very 2 or 3 days, 3 or 4 times a week.

In my 14th session yesterday I did a maximum of 140kg x 3.

Recently, I have been doing a progressive build each visit so that I can really focus on form.

Yesterday was
115kg x 9 x 2
120kg x 8 x 2
125kg x 7 x 2
130kg x 6 x 2
135kg x 5 x 2
140kg x 3 x 2

After doing this heavy stuff and before dropping my number of gym visits during the season, I will drop the weight and increase the reps again, and do quicker, more explosive lifting. This is were the adaptation for cycling should occur.

During the season, I think one gym visit a week is good for strength maintenance. I did this when I was TTing seriously and I think it made a big difference for just one hour a week.

Andy

@andywood That seems like a very large number of sets. Are you basically only doing lunges? How much time are you talking between sets?
How long does this session take?

@andywood That seems like a very large number of sets. Are you basically only doing lunges? How much time are you talking between sets?
How long does this session take?

It is a lot yes. But the early sets are "relatively easy". If I was just doing the max weight, I would maybe aim for:

140kg x 5 x 6 or 8 sets (ie. 3 or 4 sets each leg).

On the lunges progressive build example, I probably take less than a minute between sets.

Then I do a circuit set for upper body: currently bench press > shoulder press > row x 3 sets (no rest between exercises, short rest between sets)

Then I do a circuit set for core: currently crunch > back extension > plank (no rest between exercises, short rest between sets)

Then I finish the legs with the leg press machine: max 140kg x 20 x 3 sets (fast action to try to get cycling specificity).

The whole routine takes about an hour.

Andy

I wanted to go do another gym session yesterday, but I seem to be developing another cold only a month since my last one went away. Maybe from training a lot on a calorie deficit...

I wanted to go do another gym session yesterday, but I seem to be developing another cold only a month since my last one went away. Maybe from training a lot on a calorie deficit...

Had the gym to myself today for a birthday blast!

Not a doctor, but I would imagine vitamins, hydration, hygiene and exercise are more important than calories in avoiding catching colds?

Get well soon!

Andy

Had the gym to myself today for a birthday blast!

Not a doctor, but I would imagine vitamins, hydration, hygiene and exercise are more important than calories in avoiding catching colds?

Get well soon!

Andy
If my wife is to be believed, this is entirely because I spend too much time in insufficiently warm clothing after training and showering.

If my wife is to be believed, this is entirely because I spend too much time in insufficiently warm clothing after training and showering.

She may have a point. Riding the trainer, one thing I notice is how quickly your core temperature drops after riding, particularly in sweat soaked cycling shorts.

For me a shower is not enough. I always have the bath ready for when I finish with a protein shake.

Screenshot_20220128-150243_Chrome.jpg

Nuts and beer today too!

Andy

Another week of training done.

This week of low volume and high intensity is radically different to the winter training I did back in the day.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「towards the GRV trophy!」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

the zwift addiction continues!
4 stages of the tour de zwift complete
zwift is no substitute for the great outdoors though
another sunny ride on the trail this morning
zwift依存症は続きます!
ツアーデズウィフトの4つのステージがクリアしました
zwiftは楽しいけど
やっぱりアウトドアは一番だね
今朝のトレイルは最高でした

☆Monday: zwift race x 2 1h15
☆Tuesday: zwift race 30 mins
☆Wednesday: gym no.11 1h, zwift race 1h,
☆Thursday: zwift race 1h
☆Friday: gym no.12 1h, snowshoe 3h
☆Saturday: zwift race 1h
☆Sunday: kakuda CX 2h,

once the snow melts
it will be gravel gravel gravel
as we get ready for the summer's GRV trophy
雪が溶けたら
グラベル、グラベル、グラベルになります
夏のGRVトロフィーにロックオン!

☆Stage 1 Hakuba (June)
☆Stage 2 Kashiwazaki (July)
☆Stage 3 Myoko (September)

keep on keeping on!
がんばりましょう!

#bikesbeachbergs #ridejapan
#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc #hakubagravelfest

Once again I am reminded that doing chest exercises makes me feel like I need to go see a heart doctor a few days later...
Drinking way too much coffee probably doesn't help.

My sore throat may have been a failure to keep my indoor humidity high enough again. At least, I hope it was.

After a 5-week break due to illness, I did my first ramp test — 322 W. Although my heart rate went above 180 bpm for the first time in a long time and I know my life bar is much, much shorter than before. Let the grind begin!

I got sick (like clockwork) just before Christmas. The doctor actually noted that the exact same thing happened the year before, but it took about 4 weeks for the symptoms to subside. I tacked on an extra week to be sure — and because it coincided with my mother-in-law heading back home after a 6-week stint in Sendai. I hope I will have to cook a little less than before, though. Visitors, even ones you love, can be tough.

Oh, and I am trying out strength routines during lunch break. I try to keep it below 30 minutes. I can already tell that the dumbbell I bought is probably too heavy — my eyes were bigger than my biceps.

Anyone using Wahoo Systm as their structured training plan?
Since a little before my first son was born (around 2 months ago) and the drop in the temperatures, I have been consistently relying in indoor workouts.

Last Saturday I went for a 120km ride around Miura peninsula. Although I didn't make any stellar PR, I could see a clear improvement in my form. I could hold a (more) aero position for longer, with less strain on the lower back and neck. Elbows closer to the body as well. Probably due to the strength and yoga exercises included in the training program. I also could notice more glute activation, instead of depending solely on the quads and hamstrings.

Well, worth nothing that everybody around me complains I ride too fast 😅

Last edited:
No, I'm on TrainerRoad. But yes, structured training really works, even if you just do it three times a week.

How has Systm worked out for you so far? What are the training plan options? Which one did you go for?

After a 5-week break due to illness, I did my first ramp test — 322 W. Although my heart rate went above 180 bpm for the first time in a long time and I know my life bar is much, much shorter than before. Let the grind begin!

I got sick (like clockwork) just before Christmas. The doctor actually noted that the exact same thing happened the year before, but it took about 4 weeks for the symptoms to subside. I tacked on an extra week to be sure — and because it coincided with my mother-in-law heading back home after a 6-week stint in Sendai. I hope I will have to cook a little less than before, though. Visitors, even ones you love, can be tough.

Oh, and I am trying out strength routines during lunch break. I try to keep it below 30 minutes. I can already tell that the dumbbell I bought is probably too heavy — my eyes were bigger than my biceps.
Do you heat your home with kerosene stoves during the winter?
If you do, you need humidifiers to keep the humidity up, or you become more likely to get sore throats and colds.
Especially since you train indoors a lot.
Get a hygrometer for every room and do whatever you need to keep the humidity at or above 50%.

Do you heat your home with kerosene stoves during the winter?
If you do, you need humidifiers to keep the humidity up, or you become more likely to get sore throats and colds.
In the bed room we have an electric heater and a humidifier. Often, though, the humidifier's water tank runs empty, though. It is on my wife's side of bed. And my wife prefers to keep the temperature higher than I would. So that might be contributing to it. Plus, we have been out a lot, so perhaps mask wearing is a contributing factor as well (probably an ideal environment to keep reinfecting myself)?
Especially since you train indoors a lot.
Get a hygrometer for every room and do whatever you need to keep the humidity at or above 50%.
Thanks, that might be an idea worth trying! 👍

No, I'm on TrainerRoad. But yes, structured training really works, even if you just do it three times a week.

How has Systm worked out for you so far? What are the training plan options? Which one did you go for?

When I bought my Wahoo Core (thanks to @TheAussieinJapan), I considered all popular indoor training apps.
Started with Zwift as they do sort of brainwashing having their ads in every single cycling-related video on Youtube. However, after few sessions I found it very boring. Nothing near the "party" that it looks like to be in their ads :flip: Just staring at my boring avatar.

I know TR and I have friends that swear by it. However, as a triathlete wannabe, Wahoo Systm (former The SufferFest) is cheaper and gives more value for my money, having swimming, running, strength and stretch/mobility workouts as well.

Most of SufferFest cycling workouts have some sort storyline/motivational monologue with a "oyaji type sense of humor" that I find entertaining. They also have some actual cycling documentaries for the recovery day workouts. Then, it will build your training calendar based in the info you provided and the results of your test.

Before starting a training plan, you do a 4DP test, which is a 1 hour workout that includes a 20min FTP test, plush some other evaluations. From it, you get your rider type.

Finally, when creating a training plan, you answer a few questions (type of training: cycling, triathlon, etc), how many hours per week, include or not strength training, if you have a specific date for a goal or just aiming to keep fit, etc.

I'm quite new on this thing, so I don't have much reference to compare, but I can say it works for me.

Last edited:
In the bed room we have an electric heater and a humidifier. Often, though, the humidifier's water tank runs empty, though. It is on my wife's side of bed. And my wife prefers to keep the temperature higher than I would. So that might be contributing to it. Plus, we have been out a lot, so perhaps mask wearing is a contributing factor as well (probably an ideal environment to keep reinfecting myself)?

Thanks, that might be an idea worth trying! 👍
I make a point to use paper masks and to avoid reusing them whenever possible for that reason.
Really, any heater will dry the already dry winter air out, but a kerosene heater will do it especially well.

Last edited:
Isn't one of the byproducts of burning kerosene water? (besides some other stuff that's not so good)

If it's a vented heater (FF type), then it could easily be drying, but if it's the more common unvented type, it produces moisture. Using this latter type of heater often results in condensation on windows.

Isn't one of the byproducts of burning kerosene water? (besides some other stuff that's not so good)

If it's a vented heater (FF type), then it could easily be drying, but if it's the more common unvented type, it produces moisture. Using this latter type of heater often results in condensation on windows.
I had it somewhat wrong. Cold air is already dry, but when you heat it without adding moisture, the air is able to hold more moisture, so it decreases the relative humidity. Any heater will do it. The water vapor is probably much smaller than the amount you need to maintain optimal humidity.

I had it somewhat wrong. Cold air is already dry, but when you heat it without adding moisture, the air is able to hold more moisture, so it decreases the relative humidity. Any heater will do it. The water vapor is probably much smaller than the amount you need to maintain optimal humidity.

Old school tin bucket of water in front of the heater?

Or riding in a tent?

20220131_213717.jpg

You'll be craving dry air!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom