What's new

Race The Training Thread

I probably won't actually run them until next year. I will need new tires and ideally better rotors and a lighter, bigger cassette first.

I probably won't actually run them until next year. I will need new tires and ideally better rotors and a lighter, bigger cassette first.
Gear discussion? :D
Any idea on all of these? Do you want to go for a 11-32 cassette? When I ran an 11-speed drive train, I had a 11-32 SRAM Force cassette, because I preferred SRAM's gearing to Shimano's. What rotors were you thinking about? An option are XT rotors. If you want to go for Shimano rotors, make sure they are IceTech rotors. In my experience they are well worth it.

Gear discussion? :D
Any idea on all of these? Do you want to go for a 11-32 cassette? When I ran an 11-speed drive train, I had a 11-32 SRAM Force cassette, because I preferred SRAM's gearing to Shimano's. What rotors were you thinking about? An option are XT rotors. If you want to go for Shimano rotors, make sure they are IceTech rotors. In my experience they are well worth it.
Probably R9200 rotors, which look just like the current XTRs that all the pros are using. Super light rotors are not a good idea for me, for reasons I am sure you are aware of as a physicist.

An Ultegra 11-32 would be fine. Ideally an 11-34 with single gear spacing at the high end. Will need a longer RD cage, regardless, so I'll still with my current bits for the time being.

Sounds like a plan. If you want something like Shimano's 11-34 cassette with 1-tooth jumps at the top end, have a look at SRAM's 11-36 cassette. It should work with your RD. In case of doubt, get a Wolftooth extender for your RD.

What about tires?

Sounds like a plan. If you want something like Shimano's 11-34 cassette with 1-tooth jumps at the top end, have a look at SRAM's 11-36 cassette. It should work with your RD. In case of doubt, get a Wolftooth extender for your RD.

What about tires?
GP5000 S TRs 28s as soon as they actually become available...

Since the wife is still in hospital and ai need to take care of my daughter, I thought it'd be fun to replace my indoor endurance ride by a longer outdoor ride with the trailer hitched to my mountain bike. Our goal was a picturesque café in the mountains that roasts its own coffee and has very good cake. They literally have >20 choices of single-origin coffee and I opted to try Malawi today. My daughter was ecstatic once we got there, which took 2:30 hours. I paced by heart rate and tried to keep it between 120–130 bpm with spikes up to the early 140s when it got steep.

It was supposed to snow in the mountains, which it did, so going more slowly on knobbly tires definitely felt like the better choice. I was very glad to have had lots of spare clothes in the trailer, in the café I could don a fresh base layer and dry my softshell jacket. Since it had snowed and rained, it was a bit soaked when I got to the café. It got dark quite early, I always forget how far up north we already are here in Sendai, but I was kitted out. Ideally I should have left a bit earlier, the ride was more boring for my daughter since she couldn't really see any of the scenery.

But what a nice way to spend my day. After that I soaked in our ofuro with my daughter and heated up some pasta sauce I had stashed in the freezer. (Pro tip: always stash leftover food in the freezer.) Today my legs feel a bit more sore than I anticipated, but nothing major.

Since the wife is still in hospital and ai need to take care of my daughter, I thought it'd be fun to replace my indoor endurance ride by a longer outdoor ride with the trailer hitched to my mountain bike. Our goal was a picturesque café in the mountains that roasts its own coffee and has very good cake. They literally have >20 choices of single-origin coffee and I opted to try Malawi today. My daughter was ecstatic once we got there, which took 2:30 hours. I paced by heart rate and tried to keep it between 120–130 bpm with spikes up to the early 140s when it got steep.

It was supposed to snow in the mountains, which it did, so going more slowly on knobbly tires definitely felt like the better choice. I was very glad to have had lots of spare clothes in the trailer, in the café I could don a fresh base layer and dry my softshell jacket. Since it had snowed and rained, it was a bit soaked when I got to the café. It got dark quite early, I always forget how far up north we already are here in Sendai, but I was kitted out. Ideally I should have left a bit earlier, the ride was more boring for my daughter since she couldn't really see any of the scenery.

But what a nice way to spend my day. After that I soaked in our ofuro with my daughter and heated up some pasta sauce I had stashed in the freezer. (Pro tip: always stash leftover food in the freezer.) Today my legs feel a bit more sore than I anticipated, but nothing major.

When my kids were small, we used to strap them on our backs and climb the local mountains. Boots in autumn, snowshoes in winter (weather permitting). They got rocked around so much that they would always sleep on the ascent and descent but have bags of energy to enjoy the summit!

Andy

As we enter winter, I spend more time in the bath than on the bike! Best make it count then. Intervals and race pace for the last few weeks.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「racing every two weeks」

last two weeks' training blog
先週と先々週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

the cyclocross season is upon us
I plan to race once every 2 weeks
シクロクロスシーズンに入った
2週間に1回のレースに出たい

in belgium we'd be racing 3 or 4 times a week!
ベルギーなら週に3〜4回のレースだね!

I'm not a pro in belgium
but intervals and race pace are good!
僕はベルギーのプロじゃないから
インターバルとレースペースはがんばる!

as the days gets shorter
and the weather gets worse
this is fun training
一日間が短くなっている
天気も悪くなっている
楽しいトレーニングにロックオン

☆Week 1
Monday: HIIT intervals
Tuesday: road volume
Wednesday: CX race pace
Thursday: CX race pace
Friday: CX skills
Saturday: off, bike check
Sunday: maebashi CX race

☆Week 2
Monday: road recovery
Tuesday: CX race pace
Wednesday: run, zwift intervals
Thursday: CX race pace
Friday: zwift intervals x 2
Saturday: CX race pace
Sunday: zwift intervals

next sunday is another CX race in nagano
team niigata will be out in full force
次の日曜日は長野にCXレースです
チーム新潟が全力で行こう!

here we go!
がんばります!
#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

Keeping to the plan is important. Especially in a taper.

This week's training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「light at the end of the taper」

this week's training blog
今週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

a taper
especially as I get older
is the difference between doing my best on race day
or falling short
テーパーのやり方は
特に年をとるにつれて
レースにベストが出せるか?
アンダーパフォーマンスをするか?
とても大事です

I have a cyclocross race on sunday
last week I did lots of CX work and intervals
今週の日曜日はシクロクロスレースです
先週はたくさんのCXワーク&インターバルワークをしました

one last interval session on monday
I can feel the fatigue
今週の月曜日のインターバルセッションでトレーニングが終わり
疲れレベルは高い

I took two days off
sleep is the only goal
2日間のレストをして
スリープにロックオンしました

a short ride today
some tempo with accelerations just to keep fitness
今日はショートライド
フィットネスをキープするために
テンポ&インターバル

Monday: HIIT long intervals
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: tempo / intervals
Friday: CX race pace
Saturday: rest
Sunday: race

I'll do some race pace tomorrow
rest on saturday
race on sunday
明日はレースペース
土曜日はレスト
日曜日はレース

here we go!
がんばります!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

By the way @OreoCookie, what are your TR levels? They must be pretty high for the average power you are doing relative to your FTP.
I am still only in the twos because I don't TR workouts consistently enough, despite my current FTP setting probably being a little low.
I should probably knock them up to the mid threes.

It still seems a little strange that they knock your levels down when your FTP goes down, rather than just keeping them the same.

Back
Top Bottom