What's new

Race The Training Thread

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Got my FTP test back this morning, the doctor said it is 335 W (with a weight of about 72.6–73 kg that translates to 4.6 W/kg) :) That means I have reached one of my training goals for this season. Nice. And it looks like I could reach 340 W, too, my stretch goal. I still have quite a bit of body fat (averaging about 15.5 %), so I could stand to lose 2 kg or so. But I don‘t want to push that too much. I wish I could do some more riding outdoors, though. Recently, my schedule and the weather haven‘t been very conducive to riding outdoors.

I‘m thinking about what goals to set next season already. We have a little one on the way, ETA is 4 December. So I was thinking of putting more emphasis on my base and flexibility when it comes to training time.
Congratulations! On both! Haha. You should be able to win or at least place well in rolling races with those numbers.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I had last week off since I worked the week before, and went for a ride yesterday. I was hoping to get some outdoor time earlier in the week, but it was just rainy and not very nice.

I deliberately took it easy during that ride, trying to stay within Z2 for most of it — with the exception of one 7ish-minute climb. My previous PB of 7:24 was from late June, and even though the effort was an 8/10 I smashed my PB by a whopping 34 seconds (6:50). I even made the Top 10 even though this is a decently popular Strava segment. It feels great to see results of training, especially when you improve your PRs while keeping something in the tank. That was a welcome change after failing a hard VO2max workout where I only managed 7 out of 9 2.5-minute efforts.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
It seems last Friday's ride was harder than I thought. I carried quite a bit of fatigue into the weekend workouts, and I needed to pull the plug on one of them. Well, let's see how this week is going.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
4 hard training weeks in a row for me this summer. I managed to take the boys to the beach for a swim everyday which is arguably the best form of recovery.

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「summer training 2,400km」

last week's training blog
先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

this summer I did 4 big weeks of training
この夏、4週間のビッグトレーニングウイークをしいました

☆575km + 580km + 610km + 680km = 2,430km total

most training is before breakfast
alternating between the gravel bike and the road bike
gravel bike up and down
road intervals and volume
ほとんどのトレーニングは朝食の前
グラベルバイクとロードバイクの一日のローテーション
グラベルバイクはアップダウン
ロードバイクはインターバルとボリューム

☆monday: gravel 50km / 1,000m
☆tuesday: gravel 60km / 1,000m
☆wednesday: road intervals 140km / 1,400m
☆thursday: gravel / road, 110km / 1,800m
☆friday: road 100km / 1,400m
☆saturday: road 100km / 500m
☆sunday: gravel 130km / 3,000m

☆30h, 680km, 10,000m

that was a hard and fun training block
I want to ease off a little now
and see how much fitness I've gained...
それはハードでも楽しいトレーニングブロックでした
少しトレーニングをカットして
どのくらいフィットネスをゲットしたか?
チェックするのは楽しみです···

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I am jealous of you ability to find (make?) the time for this level of training. Hehe.
I would say "making" time is the approach to go for.

I'm lucky that my kids are getting older and can look after themselves a bit more these days.

I have nothing but respect for my teammate Noguchi san who has two toddlers. He trains 4 to 7am on work days and 4 to 10am on his days off.

To quote Roy Castle, dedication is what you need!

Andy

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Another week of training in the bag.

I dropped the load by about half, but kept some intensity and specificity.

The usual training blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「keep on keeping on!」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

after 4 weeks of 600km
I wanted to cut the volume
600kmの4週間の後
ボリュームを下げたかった

but it is important to keep 「intensity」
2 sessions of HIIT intervals
でも「インテンシティ」をキープするのは重要です
HIITインターバルが2回やりました

also important to keep 「specificity」
a big ride on the gravel bike
「スペシフィシティ」のキープするも
も重要です
グラベルバイクで大きなライドへ

☆monday: rest
☆tuesday: HIIT intervals 30km / 0m
☆wednesday: road 60km / 700m
☆thursday: HIIT intervals 55km / 900m
☆friday: gravel 50km / 800m
☆saturday: gravel 127km / 3,300m
☆sunday: road 20 mins race pace 55km / 700m
☆☆total 17h, 375km, 6,400m

the autumn gravel events remain uncertain
but 「consistency」 is important in training
秋のグラベルイベントは不確実なままです
でも「コンシステンシィ」をキープするのは重要です

☆keep on keeping on!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I have nothing but respect for my teammate Noguchi san who has two toddlers. He trains 4 to 7am on work days and 4 to 10am on his days off.
And when does he sleep? 😉

Seriously, I think I am bumping up against a sleep barrier where I can only finish certain harder workouts if I am well-rested, i. e. I have had >= 7.5 hours of sleep. I’m getting up at 5:15–5:30 for my early morning workouts. There is no way, I could start at 4. And it’ll be interesting to see what happens when our second child is here. The due date is in December, although the doctors want to do a c-section again, so our son might be born in mid to late November.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
And when does he sleep? 😉

Seriously, I think I am bumping up against a sleep barrier where I can only finish certain harder workouts if I am well-rested, i. e. I have had >= 7.5 hours of sleep. I’m getting up at 5:15–5:30 for my early morning workouts. There is no way, I could start at 4. And it’ll be interesting to see what happens when our second child is here. The due date is in December, although the doctors want to do a c-section again, so our son might be born in mid to late November.
I assume he obeys the 9 o'clock rule of serious asaren cyclists!

Andy

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
More of the usual for me last week.

After discovering the wonderful world of time trialling and then gravel riding, the road bike became a neglected commuter.

Recently she's come back into the fore for twice weekly interval training.

Cheers, Andy

「the usual」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

august was the biggest training month of the year
8月は一年で一番ビッグトレーニングマンスでした

☆116h, 2,500km, 35,000m climbing

last week was back to usual levels
先週はいつものレベルに戻った

☆22h, 450km, 8,000m

the usual formula
the usual progressive intervals
the usual gravel specificity
the usual training and rest balance
そして
いつものプログレッシブインターバル
いつものグラベルスペシフィシティ
いつものトレーニングとレストのバランス

☆monday: road 80km / 1,000m
☆tuesday: HIIT intervals 80km / 1,200m
☆wednesday: rest
☆thursday: HIIT intervals 70km / 300m
☆friday: gravel 100km / 2,200m
☆saturday: gravel 110km / 2,800m
☆sunday: rest / equipment check 25km / 350m

more of the usual this week
before backing off next week
今週もいつものように
来週のバックオフする前に

☆jumping into fall!

#ajocc

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
@andywood
Going back from 30 hours on average in August to “only” 22 hours. Wow. That’s a shirt ton of training.

For me the last three weeks of Base were hard, the VO2max workouts were very challenging and just between almost doable to slightly too hard. But I never managed to complete the Saturday workouts, I was just carrying too much fatigue into them. By Sunday, things were fine, though, although for the last two weeks I opted to replace the easy sweet spot workout with an endurance workout. Despite spending 2,5 hours on my trainer on Saturday, I feel great. So perhaps I will continue doing that. What’s interesting and nice is that I don’t feel like I am failing, even though I don’t think I have failed on as many workouts as I have in the last three weeks.

Fortunately, this week is a rest week. I’m looking forward to the next ramp test: will I break the 340 W barrier? 🤔
Even if I don’t, I have achieved this season’s goal of testing above 330 W. :)

I think the fatigue might be due to me fixing my left-right leg imbalance. Previously, I had a one-sided power meter before, and now that I got the Quark that measures the total power of both legs, it seems I caught my body being smart lazy: each additional watt with the left leg shows up as two additional watts on the screen. So according to my Quark, initially my left-right balance was 55:45, but would sometimes skew even more towards my left leg. I know the Quark doesn’t do “real” left-right balance and only infers it from “power during halves of the pedal stroke”, the imbalance is very pronounced. I’ve put my left-right imbalance (averaged over 20 seconds) on my Wahoo on indoor trainer rides only, and it has been ticking up — as has my power. Ditto on outdoor rides where I would only check the left-right balance at the end of a ride. Outdoors it is now 52:48 or 53:47. I also see a clear drift: when I am fresh on the trainer, it is often 51:49 or even 50:50, but when I get tired, it goes back to 55:45 during the rest intervals.

My conjecture is that my right leg doesn’t have the endurance my left leg does and thus, craps out eventually. I plan on adding my Z2 work in the coming weeks when possible.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
@andywood
Going back from 30 hours on average in August to “only” 22 hours. Wow. That’s a shirt ton of training.

For me the last three weeks of Base were hard, the VO2max workouts were very challenging and just between almost doable to slightly too hard. But I never managed to complete the Saturday workouts, I was just carrying too much fatigue into them. By Sunday, things were fine, though, although for the last two weeks I opted to replace the easy sweet spot workout with an endurance workout. Despite spending 2,5 hours on my trainer on Saturday, I feel great. So perhaps I will continue doing that. What’s interesting and nice is that I don’t feel like I am failing, even though I don’t think I have failed on as many workouts as I have in the last three weeks.

Fortunately, this week is a rest week. I’m looking forward to the next ramp test: will I break the 340 W barrier? 🤔
Even if I don’t, I have achieved this season’s goal of testing above 330 W. :)

I think the fatigue might be due to me fixing my left-right leg imbalance. Previously, I had a one-sided power meter before, and now that I got the Quark that measures the total power of both legs, it seems I caught my body being smart lazy: each additional watt with the left leg shows up as two additional watts on the screen. So according to my Quark, initially my left-right balance was 55:45, but would sometimes skew even more towards my left leg. I know the Quark doesn’t do “real” left-right balance and only infers it from “power during halves of the pedal stroke”, the imbalance is very pronounced. I’ve put my left-right imbalance (averaged over 20 seconds) on my Wahoo on indoor trainer rides only, and it has been ticking up — as has my power. Ditto on outdoor rides where I would only check the left-right balance at the end of a ride. Outdoors it is now 52:48 or 53:47. I also see a clear drift: when I am fresh on the trainer, it is often 51:49 or even 50:50, but when I get tired, it goes back to 55:45 during the rest intervals.

My conjecture is that my right leg doesn’t have the endurance my left leg does and thus, craps out eventually. I plan on adding my Z2 work in the coming weeks when possible.
I also have (had?) left right imbalances. I've never looked closely into the numbers but I think in the winter strength training, high cadence and low cadence drills help to balance things out.

Andy

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I also have (had?) left right imbalances. I've never looked closely into the numbers but I think in the winter strength training, high cadence and low cadence drills help to balance things out.
I was surprised how much of a difference just seeing the difference and slowly trying to correct it does. I don't know whether my gains in power are due to my right leg catching up, but it'd make sense.

One of the goals for next season is to finally incorporate strength training into my routine. I have to. And I am procrastinating …

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I was surprised how much of a difference just seeing the difference and slowly trying to correct it does. I don't know whether my gains in power are due to my right leg catching up, but it'd make sense.

One of the goals for next season is to finally incorporate strength training into my routine. I have to. And I am procrastinating …

Why procrastinate? If raising your FTP is your driving motivator, strength training is a no brainer.

Strength training will also help to keep you injury free as an added bonus!

Andy

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
It occurred to me that the last time I got a massive ramp test result boost (calling it an FTP boost is not entirely accurate) came after doing three races in a one-week period. Maybe I should switch from TR back to Zwift, but actually do races this time.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Last week's training blog. Two big gravel rides of 150km+ / 3,500m+.

Next week will be a taper. Only the second time this year!

Cheers, Andy

「time to bring out the form」

先週のトレーニングブログです
変な日本語すみません!

last week was again
the usual formula
the usual progressive intervals
the usual gravel specificity
the usual training and rest balance
先週はまた
いつものプログレッシブインターバル
いつものグラベルスペシフィシティ
いつものトレーニングとレストのバランス

two days of HIIT intervals
two days of big gravel rides
two days of active recovery
2日間のHIITインターバル
2日間のビッググラベルライド
2日間のアクティブリカバリー

☆monday: HIIT intervals 60km
☆tuesday: gravel 65km / 1,200m
☆wednesday: HIIT intervals 50km
☆thursday: myoko training 160km, 3,800m
☆friday: active recovery 40km
☆saturday: myoko training 150km / 3,500m
☆sunday: active recovery 50km

☆27h, 570km, 9,000m

next week is a taper
as a cyclist one of my strengths is executing a good taper
来週はテーパーです
サイクリストとしての僕の強みの1つはテーパーをすること

time to bring out the form!
フォームを出す時間だ~!

#ajocc

Top Bottom