What's new

Race The Training Thread

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I just did my FTP test, I’m now at 328 W (or 4.44 W/kg since my average weight this month is 73.8 kg)! I think I could have held on a few more seconds (10? 20?), but as usual, my mind checked out when the new step started and I knew I was happy with that. Perhaps I should aim for 20:10 minutes instead of 20:00 minutes.

But overall, I’m very happy, this is 2 W shy of my year’s goal, and it looks like by the end of the next block I will have a good chance of surpassing that. I haven’t lost much weight (I’m fluctuating between 73.5 and 74.2 kg), just about a kilo-and-a-half since January (and most of that I have lost since May), but my body fat has been on a downward trend since April (averaging about 15.7 % this month). For hill climbs I should lose some more kilos, as @baribari can attest, there is still a bit of belly fat left. But for crits, I think the current weight is fine.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
This morning I was basically 90 kg again. This seems to happen after every race.
It took me two days to bounce back weight-wise. I lost 1.6 kg despite drinking a ton (including 1.5 liters of coke!). I felt a bit dehydrated yesterday, I had a tinge of a headache. So I drank lots of ice water with electrolyte tabs. Worked well. I had quite a bit of carbs for dinner yesterday and felt satisfied. Plus, I went on a light spin yesterday after dropping off my daughter at day care. Just a bit over 40 minutes and I was deliberately very slow. That worked great.

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Tonight's VO2 max session was laughably easy. I don't know why TrainerRoad thinks it needs to dial my workouts down so aggressively after an FTP bump.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Tonight's VO2 max session was laughably easy. I don't know why TrainerRoad thinks it needs to dial my workouts down so aggressively after an FTP bump.
That’s my experience as well. It seems they got a bit burned by vocal feedback that their previous plans were too hard. On the previous cycle I have to manually add some stretch workouts to get the levels right. Fortunately, my levels were not set to 0 and it seems I have two “stretch” workouts in my plan this week, presumably to check my levels. (They look very reasonable to me, ask me again on Sunday.)

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
That’s my experience as well. It seems they got a bit burned by vocal feedback that their previous plans were too hard. On the previous cycle I have to manually add some stretch workouts to get the levels right. Fortunately, my levels were not set to 0 and it seems I have two “stretch” workouts in my plan this week, presumably to check my levels. (They look very reasonable to me, ask me again on Sunday.)
It's especially funny considering I was at 6.6 for VO2max before my bump, which was the highest of all my levels.
I am starting to think I should just ignore the adaptations unless they make the workouts harder.

This morning my resting heart rate was 44... Perhaps the benefits of racing in the heat. Haha.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
It's especially funny considering I was at 6.6 for VO2max before my bump, which was the highest of all my levels.
I am starting to think I should just ignore the adaptations unless they make the workouts harder.
I wouldn’t ignore them completely. You also have to pay a little attention to whether a workout is meant to be achievable (= easy) or productive (= harder). Since this isn’t marked directly in the calendar, the progression levels of certain workouts made no sense to me until I noticed this pattern.

My plan is to help AT along resetting progression levels if possible. It is less important for workouts you don’t actually do (e. g. endurance or sprint don’t matter unless you do endurance or sprint work).

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
I wouldn’t ignore them completely. You also have to pay a little attention to whether a workout is meant to be achievable (= easy) or productive (= harder). Since this isn’t marked directly in the calendar, the progression levels of certain workouts made no sense to me until I noticed this pattern.

My plan is to help AT along resetting progression levels if possible. It is less important for workouts you don’t actually do (e. g. endurance or sprint don’t matter unless you do endurance or sprint work).
If you do an "Achievable" and mark it as easy, you get a bump of about 0.2, but if you are able to do a "Stretch" or above you get a boost of 3.0 or more even if it was very hard.

Top Bottom