What's new

Today The Tokigawa loop

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
headed out for a morning ride and decided to head up the river a bit, a bit turned into a bit more and before I knew I had hummed my way to the combini at the base of Tokigawa. Ok better send some mails....
Alrighty, that's taken care of onto takeshino. I have a bit of a go up here, but soon settle into an easy rhythm. Down to Tokigawa base and up shiraishi. No stopping at the top and swing left and down the goat track. It starts to get a bit brisk as I descend into the valley. Sounds like a perfect time for a hot cinnamon roll and a coffee. Hana cafe was open, good news!
After a brief stint under the rug, I headed up sadamine and down the other side, next on my hit list was kasayama forest climb. The temps on this side of the green line were much more pleasant and the descending wasn't too bad.
And to complete the loop back over Tokigawa base and back to the conbini for a bit of lunch. After it was slog back down the river feeling less than great about it and kind of wishing I had taken the train

Now that was quite the loop and I recommend it to anyone looking to see what this area is all about.
From the spaceship around 150km and 2400m return. Or you could jump a train before the last climb and be on the train with about 110km.

Here's the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/789476606

When I get my new computer I may try and make a route for it and post it up. Great scenery nice roads, a good variety of gradients.

Nice work! That Kasayama bit is still unknown to me, gotta try it sometime. Also, I thought Takashino is the pass where you end up if you don't take the right turn at the very bottom of Shiraishi but just keep going straight?

無題.png

Started expanding our rides and hit this area a few times. Just scratching the surface. But really like the area. Looking forward to more of it.

What's it like in the winter months, January, February, March?

I'm off for two months from the end of January with lots of time to ride...

The green line is risky once you get into January and parts of it will often close depending on snowfall and ice.
It's hard to guess what will remain safely passable in winter.

The green line is risky once you get into January and parts of it will often close depending on snowfall and ice.
It's hard to guess what will remain safely passable in winter.
Thanks for the info. Guess I will be riding south for the winter.

I'm off for two months from the end of January with lots of time to ride...
Boso Peninsula in Chiba is great all year - grab the ferry from Kurihama or Aqualine if you have a car, and you're in a low-hills playground.

Here are a few rides we have done in the area around Jan/Feb
What is that steep climb on the Jan 16 ride from 52-54 km mark?! Gotta try that sometime. It looks like double digit incline constant for 2+ kms! Also taking note of the veeeery reasonable 9:30 am start :cool:

Back
Top Bottom