Ride The TCC Okutama BOOB Challenge - Group Lunch

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Saturday, November 18th
Meeting place: Musashi Itsukaichi station
Time: 9:00am

https://www.strava.com/segments/2280526

The original TCC Okutama BOOB ride is/was always meant to be an "Individual Time Trial", designed to test one's own performance – A ride you can do nearly any time of the year (apart from mid-Winter) to gauge your fitness by comparing your time to the last time you did it.

If you've never done it before, this would be a good opportunity make that initial mark for you to improve upon later down the road.

The Strava record currently stands at 3hr:01m:31s – As yet, no-one has broken the 3-hour barrier. Similar to the 4-minute mile, prior to Roger Bannister's win in 1954, we shall be looking for our record-breaking hero on the day!

Ideally, we will have staggered starts, with the slower riders setting out first – Even an intermediate rider should be able to finish within 4hr:30min (5 hours, for the very slowest of riders) – with a rider setting out every 2 or 3 minutes, depending on the number of people who care to join, and the fastest riders setting off last.

Group Lunch

After we are all back at Itsukaichi, we can ride as a group to the Ishikawa Sake Brewery in Haijima (TCC has been there before on several occasions) for lunch & drinks around 2pm (or 2:30 for any stragglers). The winner of the BOOB Challenge may dine for free.

In order to do this properly, we should have 2 volunteers – One at the start to log "Roll-out times" (the same person will log finishing times), and another person at the turnaround point at Okutama lake, to record times there (to avoid potential "Oh, I turned around too early" scenarios).
*Please PM me if you wish to volunteer :)

For the non-competitive:

We understand that there will be those who do not wish to compete - Those who are either not in good shape at the moment, or who simply wish to do the ride for fun - You are more than welcome to join. Please consider this a "social ride", and an opportunity to meet some other members you may not have met yet.
Please join us at the start, and ride at your leisure, doing part (or all) of the course as you see fit, but please try to be back at Musashi-Itsukaichi station by 1:30pm at the latest.

We will try to arrange it so that everyone is back at Musashi-Itsukaichi by 1:30, so that we can all ride to the Ishikawa Brewery together, and hopefully be there by 2pm for lunch.

Please let me know in the comments if you will be joining for:
Leisurely Ride
Timed Ride (Individual TT)
Lunch only - I'll need to make a reservation at the Restaurant.

Last edited:
Interested! If I can ride at all on the day, this will be it. Marking my calendar! I'll probably just do a leisure ride, totally not competitive now (to the extent I ever was - like a year ago or so). Why volunteers when there's Strava to record everything?

The day before my 41st birthday...

Will see what the gods have in store for me.

Its a massive distance from where I live just to ride a short course so I have never done it, though it has been loaded into my Garmin for many years.

I will not win but I may appear.

I'll try and join too with the usual caveats of course...
Weather
Family
Lazy

I'd like to see this happen for real, with a decent turn out

@WhiteGiant has been here for a while and is still here, many aren't. I know why many aren't.

The community that he knew has gone but he is trying to revive it. It's about time it was revived. When I first found this site it already wasn't what it had been but it was still thriving and the community was strong.

I think it's time that came back, time we came together again.

The rot has passed. The darkness has been unistalled.

If you can make it, do.

Time to be Tokyo Cycling Club again!

(I just watched Batman with my 10 year old, so....:D)

Yep, I'm a latecomer and don't know the "old glory days" of the portal perhaps, but was nevertheless able to meet some fine riders, go out on some great rides, get some useful advice and buy and sell several things. So all in all, I very much appreciate it and would like to see it pick up some more traction. That said, I just realized I've got 3 things I can't possibly put off for Sat 18th, from the morning till the afternoon so there's no way I can make it for this ride unfortunately. But I'm around and will contribute as much (or as little) as I can. Nov and Dec in Tokyo are my favorite season for riding (apart from the brief period after the coldest months and before the rainy season) so I hope to be out a lot in the rest of 2017. Cheers all!

Alas it seems I cannot make this ride. Despite finding myself humming "We are the world" while reading @Musashi13 stirring dead poets society esque opus. My wife however, was not similarly stirred, and I have been informed that my presence will be required elsewhere. Sorry about that.

But never fear, I will do my part and organize another community outing.
As in previous years we have done the shinenkai Chiba megalo brevit, and so again it shall be... watch this space, with pens, calendars, and baited breath.

May this ride be cracking one, with beer served chilled from the mitts of buxom wenches, and may that record finally fall!

Ride on fellas!

I think this is a great ride concept and would like to see more organic events like this grow with good turnouts. I know only too well the difficulties that face a good concept, they need support in the reality, not just the virtual to grow. I will certainly juggle some things to make it and hope to have a great ride. The course looks great at that 3hr marker is a carrot too good to pass on.

Last edited:
I would love to attend (as a fun runner) due to my fatness and fitness moving in opposite directions. But have foolishly signed up to work on Saturday morning. :(

Thanks for the support - I understand that some people can't make it due to other commitments.
Also, due to the number of 'Maybe's, I have decided against making a reservation at the Ishikawa Brewery Restaurant. Instead, in keeping with proper cycling tradition, we can all meet back up at the large (and semi-new) Family Mart on the main road.
That will save a lot of time for people who are travelling quite a distance to be there, and will allow others with afternoon commitments to get home early.
So far, we're looking at between 6 ~ 12 people, I think.
Looking forward to it :)

Postponed

New date: Saturday, November 25th - 9:00am

Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look so good for tomorrow, so I think it might be better to move the ride to next week.
On a positive note, it means that some of the people who couldn't make it this week may be able to come next week.
The one real worry is that it may snow over the next week - If that happens, we'll have to cancel until next year.

Back
Top Bottom