What's new

The search for ideal cycling Hub

Dilbert

Speeding Up
Jul 5, 2022
I'm trying to get some ideas on where to check out next. Where would you settle down if easy access to fun rides was a high priority? Think retired, in decent health, kids grown. I know everyone's idea of a fun ride is not the same, but for your style of riding where would you pick?

I'm saying easy access in general. Short train ride, ferry ride, car ride to decent trails, cycling paths, interesting climbs, etc.

I haven't explored even half the places I want to in Japan yet, but for me Wakkani was my favorite. I liked the ride to cape Soya, easy access to Rishiri islands, not the most dramatic climbs near by but good enough for training, and really easy access to airport to fly domestically. However winter...so there's that.

Any mountainous area with large lakes will be nice for riding, but I get the impression that the general area around Mt. Fuji is peak Japan cycling.

I'm trying to get some ideas on where to check out next. Where would you settle down if easy access to fun rides was a high priority? Think retired, in decent health, kids grown. I know everyone's idea of a fun ride is not the same, but for your style of riding where would you pick?

I'm saying easy access in general. Short train ride, ferry ride, car ride to decent trails, cycling paths, interesting climbs, etc.

I haven't explored even half the places I want to in Japan yet, but for me Wakkani was my favorite. I liked the ride to cape Soya, easy access to Rishiri islands, not the most dramatic climbs near by but good enough for training, and really easy access to airport to fly domestically. However winter...so there's that.
More and more, I try to avoid places that require me to bike through much traffic (especially heavy trucks, and especially narrow roads) to get to the ride. I like to ride in the mountains, mainly because there are few cars, usually nice scenery, challenging rindos, and few cars, plus, few cars (did I mention, few cars). Folks these days just aren't paying attention much and I can't afford an accident that would cause me severe injury and/or lack of mobility. So...that said, someplace near mountains or easily accessible by train to near the start of the ride is what I'd prioritize. But that's just me.

If that's you, too, then there are many places to choose from. I'm going to be checking out Kyushu pretty soon, especially Saga area, Fukuoka (close to the airport), and Hirado island. I hear it's nice, but have no firsthand experience. Locally, if you want to stay near Tokyo area, then places that are at the foot of the mountains but have a good train connection to Tokyo would be what I'd look for (Ome? Hadano or further out on the Odakyu line? northern Izu?)

I haven't explored even half the places I want to in Japan yet, but for me Wakkani was my favorite.
I found the riding North, East and West a bit of a challenge.
If I was going to settle in Hokkaido I'd choose Furano.

Hey thanks all for the good input. I have added some areas to scout thanks to your recommendations. I've never joined a cycling club before, but would make sense where there are many cycling clubs it probably a good area.

Back
Top Bottom